Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Collymore- the only 'expert' with a brain

I''m not a big fan of Stan Collymore but he''s the only pundit who i actually agree with his response to the Hughton sacking. The only one to actually look at the views of the fans.

For anyone who missed it, he said ''My scientific study showed Canaries are f****** delighted. Don''t argue with the consumer. They know.''

Finally someone who just doesn''t instantly criticise like Lineker or Savage saying it''s bonkers and deluded.

The response of the pundits is amazing. Why has he been sacked? Because our ONLY hope of survival is to change tactics and he has spent 2 seasons showing that''s something he could not do, There was never a plan B.

He''s a nice chap. So what? What has that to do with being an effective manager?

Darren Lewis lambasts the club for being the latest to make it to the premiership and think we are bigger than we are. Utter bollox, it''s the relief of not having to watch crab style defence- focussed football that we are not actually any good at playing anyway.

Any manager with a record as bad as that of CH is always going to face the bullet. Yes the board can be criticised for not taking this step earlier however they have now given us all a glimmer of hope that we shall still be in the premiership next season.

"well i''m one of the customers and the issue here is not that he''s been sacked, but who we''ve got in"It makes 100% complete sense to appoint Adams with just 5 games to go, somebody who knows the players and the politics at the club.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]to you it does[/quote]And to me.There is no chance of getting a "name" in when you are perched on the trapdoor. Nobody would take it on while there''s a strong chance of next season being in the Chumps.It seemed a perfectly logical decision to me.

[quote user="Le Juge"]" It makes 100% complete sense to appoint Adams with just 5 games to go, somebody who knows the players and the politics at the club.[/quote]\

Exactly. With the situation we''re in, he''s the best we could realistically do.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]well i''m one of the customers and the issue here is not that he''s been sacked, but who we''ve got in[/quote]

What choice do you honestly think we actually had to replace him?

Adams as an insider won''t have to get to know how the club works, the people who run it, its systems and processes, its routines and most of all the players. He will know who is performing and who he wants. It is absolutely the right choice, we couldn''t wait a month for a new guy to figure this out, it has to be done immediately.

The supporters should be the only ones ever listened to. They are the only people who have paid to get into the stadium. Everyone else is being paid by them.

[quote user="Jacks Back"]I''m not a big fan of Stan Collymore but he''s the only pundit who i actually agree with his response to the Hughton sacking. The only one to actually look at the views of the fans.

For anyone who missed it, he said ''My scientific study showed Canaries are f****** delighted. Don''t argue with the consumer. They know.''

Finally someone who just doesn''t instantly criticise like Lineker or Savage saying it''s bonkers and deluded.[/quote]Right-o.  So your "expert" relies on listening to other people''s opinions rather than having their own point of view.  What sort of expert is that, do you reckon? You don''t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.More likely you picked an "expert" who agrees with you.  Only thing Collymore''s ever done is beat his girlfriend.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]to you it does[/quote]

I think you just like to be devils advocate on here. I am not sure you are even a fan just like LDC. You don''t have an ounce of passion!!

I caught the first 15 mins of the Talksport Drife show, expecting a hammering form Durham.

But no, he was very pro us as supporters, his only question being why it hadn''t happened earlier.

Very strange agreeing with him!

On MOTD Robbie Sauvage predicted we''d be relegated. So for him to criticise sacking Hughton is simply insane. Should we have just accepted relegation?

Truth is tat WBA was another key game Hughton had to deliver a result to survive but for the first time he lost in that situation.

And there''s no way we could have got in a quality manager in the time we''ve got. Appointing Adams makes perfect sense to me.

In terms of who the replacement is - the problem here is the timing. At the current time, who is likely to come in and replace Hughton when we look like good bets to go down? Who''s going to come in when our last 4 games are what they are?

The real argument isn''t about the replacement - at this stage of the season, the only two options were only ever going to be stick with Hughton or get in an inexperienced "club man".

So if Adams was the only realistic option (or someone else similar to him), then the only question really is whether you want to approach your last 5 games of the season with a "club man" whose only coaching experience is a couple of seasons with an under 18s side, or a manager with half a decade of managerial experience and the best part of two decades coaching first team sides.

Arguments for = Hughton''s tactics and general style of play unlikely to get us those points, so may as well try for the "Di Canio" effect and hope Adams brings just enough to get us over the mark.

Arguments against = Hughton rarely has failed when the chips are well and truly down, we always seem to scrape out the win or draw when we need it most. Also, last 4 games against top sides - do you want to risk a completely inexperienced manager or would you rather keep someone who has a degree of tactical experience?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="mrs miggins"]to you it does[/quote]And to me.There is no chance of getting a "name" in when you are perched on the trapdoor. Nobody would take it on while there''s a strong chance of next season being in the Chumps.It seemed a perfectly logical decision to me. [/quote]Yeah and me too.And I believe to every member of the board at Norwich City.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Jacks Back"]I''m not a big fan of Stan Collymore but he''s the only pundit who i actually agree with his response to the Hughton sacking. The only one to actually look at the views of the fans.

Finally someone who just doesn''t instantly criticise like Lineker or Savage saying it''s bonkers and deluded.[/quote]Right-o.  So your "expert" relies on listening to other people''s opinions rather than having their own point of view.  What sort of expert is that, do you reckon? You don''t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.More likely you picked an "expert" who agrees with you.  Only thing Collymore''s ever done is beat his girlfriend.

[/quote]"A wise man admits he knows nothing." Personally I think actually listening to the opinion of 20,000 fans who watch a team week in week out makes a lot more sense than being an arrogant prick and calling us all deluded (including presumably those who run a successful club who made the decision). Can''t say having seen Mr Shearer''s management record at Newcastle he''s got any more right to comment on the quality of a managerial appointment than anyone else. Collymore talks a lot of sense and is much more entertaining than the BBC drones as well.

I take it that everyone agreeing that Collymore knows what he''s talking about didn''t go on to read the rest of his comment which was "even Norwich City, the epitome of board stability, showing the lunacy of the modern day administrator. Barmby, looking for a bounce."

Well Bury I did hesitate a bit before typing that, but let''s just say he has got more experience of seeing how different tactics work at first team level than Adams has!

You can argue about the pros and cons all day long and just go round and round in circles - basically it comes down to a gamble over those two options.

I certainly think the board have made the right decision for them. If we pick up points and stay up, they were justified in making the decision. If we don''t pick up points and still stay up, then who cares?!

If we go down it''s more interesting. Two criticisms are likely to come their way.

Firstly, that we should have kept Hughton rather than risk an inexperienced manager with only five games to go. Note two things from the press conference yesterday.

1 - McNally made it very clear that the local press seem to be saying it''s the right decision and the fans have been begging him and the board to sack Hughton for ages.

2 - McNally also says "we will stay up, and this decision has been made based on that". He doesn''t say that the decision was made to try and give us the best possibility of staying up. He says we will stay up and the decision has been made in light of that. In other words, if we do now go down, the new manager needs to take plenty of stick for it. Of course, they all know Adams won''t get much stick and he can quite easily be shuffled away back to his behind the scenes youth role, but it gives them somebody else to blame.

The second criticism will be that they didn''t sack Hughton sooner. They can''t do anything about this now. So how best to limit the damage? If you''re going down, is it better to

a) stick with your man to the bitter end, or

b) sack him, make it clear that the fans wanted him gone ("look guys, we only sacked him because you wanted him gone, it''s as much your fault as it is ours"), make it clear that you are ''safe'' and will only go down if the new manager messes things up massively, and in cutting ties with your man give the fans something of a "silver lining".

The footballing reasons are neither here nor there. It isn''t that the board think we need to bring in a new face to freshen things up for the last 5 games. It''s not that they think the manager has lost the changing room or that the players aren''t playing for him, or even that his tactics are too negative for us to get enough points in the last 5 games to stay up.

If those are the reasons, then they would surely have sacked him months ago. We haven''t just suddenly been bad. We aren''t a club who have been alright all season but then suddenly there''s been a bust up and the players clearly don''t want to be with the manager anymore. We''ve been consistently naff throughout the whole season, lacking fight and playing negatively for the most part. And if the board were going to make the decision for footballing reasons, surely they are knowledgeable enough to do so at least a month or so ago to give the new manager a few winnable games, rather than now?

So no, I don''t think this a last shake of the dice to try and turn our season around. I think the board looked at the "experienced manager vs club man" debate in terms of which was going to leave them coming off the best (or, perhaps more appropriately, "least bad") if we do now go down.

That, for me, is the preferred option to explain the very strange timing. The other one is that they simply do not have a clue about football, because if it is for footballing reasons they really have not got an excuse for not sacking him ages ago.

Plus I think you''re putting way too much weight on McNally saying we''ll stay up. He''s simply putting on a confident front. Anyone with an interest in the club knows we''re at severe risk of relegation. Hughton would not have been sacked otherwise.

Simple answer is that yes, it is a last roll of the dice to try to keep us up because we''re in a slump and it doesn''t look like CH could turn it around.

According to Mick Dennis Hughton was summoned in to see McNally, Delia and MWJ. He says that the answers Hughton gave to questions seeking reassurance that a result would be achieved at Fulham were such that they felt a change was needed. So while the fans'' reaction had made things very obvious to the Board, and may have precipitated the meeting, it does seem that they were footballing reasons and not a knee jerk reaction hoping for a bounce- in essence they no longer had confidence in him.