Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

"Safri couldn't do it again"...Souness

Graeme Souness said tonight that Yossef Safri would not be able to score again from that angle and distance if he tried 100 times!!! Maybe after 100 tries in training he might get 1.

Does that sound like soar grapes to you?

Whether it was a fluke or a divine moment of clarity on Safri''s part - I''m fairly sure none of us really give a monkeys?!
As long as it keeps nestling in the back of the net on a regular basis, that''s all that counts and thats what we need right now...

I have the strangest feeling, call it de-javu if you will, that we are going down this season with the tag of ''most popular, most spirited, and very nice''.

I recall this from the last time we left the premiership, and if the nation wasn''t so slow to react, we would have have been ''The Tractor Boys'', not our neighbours who nestle on the London Suburbs!

That aside, and getting back to the thrust of the topic; Let me ask 1 question. ''We are now in our best run of the season, 2 wins, 1 draw (should''ve been a win). Who has been introduced into the midfield in that time?

You all know the answer.

I only wish that our Obermeister Nigel had had Youseff available all season. The Morrocan is a midfield meister. He can regain posession from lost causes (Man U game 2nd goal) , and score from 40 yards!

Don''t get me wrong, I''m Gary Holt''s fan club, but something is going right since the ''Moroccan Rocket'' has been re-introduced.

I''m also getting more and more impressed by the ''Silver Fox''s'' tactics. Maybe he got it wrong against Palace on saturday, but in the long run he is proving to be a tactical genius.

I was at the Millenium Stadium for the Play Off Final when Nige cocked it up - in hindsight he did us a favour.

It allowed us to build slowly. Last season was great and we all knew that this seasons likely outcome was relegation. But I can accept the drop if we learn the lessons from it. I feel that since the Man Utd game, we have finally learnt to live the Premiership way. It ain''t pretty but it works!

Historically, we model ourselves on West Ham (John Bond, Ken Brown etc), pretty football, when it works great, but a nice loser is still a loser.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m not a Gary Megson fan! But Premiership football is all about sound defence, a midfield that can repossess, and also create, and an attack that can make something out out of nothing. I think we''ve now got two of the three, but as long as we can score more than we concede, we''ve got a chance!

Whatevever happens between now and the end of the season, I feel that as a club we have grown and will come back stronger next season whatever the division!

[quote]Graeme Souness said tonight that Yossef Safri would not be able to score again from that angle and distance if he tried 100 times!!! Maybe after 100 tries in training he might get 1. Does that sound ...[/quote]

He may well have had a couple of "soar grapes" after tonights game, when we gave him and his team a swift kick in the B***OX!!! KICK EM IN WHILE THEIR DOWN!! Nothin wrong in that!!!!! 3 points is three points!!

we''re SOARING!!!!!! Safri''s goal.... class....Ashton''s goal.... divine....

GET IN THERE!!!

All long range shots are hit or miss, we have had enough go in against us this season, we were due for one ourselves.

As I have said before, when the ball hits the bar and actually goes IN, then our luck is on the change !

Fantastic strike, reminded me of Steeno against Coventry. (I wonder if Safri played for them that day). Amazed that MOTD commentators didn''t talk about it.

Safri has to get goal of the month for that effort. Apparently he has done it at Coventry before as well, but to be honest, that shot is the sort you only expect to see from the likes of Gerrard and Lampard - not complaining in any way though because it was a stunning goal!

I was thinking with his (important) goals this month, that Ashton is in with a shout of Player of the month as well. Have to say Deano is repaying his price tag every minute he plays - looked great as a target man yesterday

If you look in slo-mo at the way he shaped the shot, it''s obvious that he knew what he wanted to do - to bend the ball away from the keeper to the right. He took a good look, then he did it. Where''s the fluke?

Also, didn''t Safri score a long range shot in the Cup against some lower Division team? Can''t be much of a fluke if he''s done it before?!

On the subject of players being brought back into the fold, being successful and then people wondering why they weren''t brought in sooner - well who''s to say that bringing said players in sooner would have had the same affect?

Lets all be thankful that of all the four teams in the dogfight, we are the ones in the richest vein of form presently, and with strikers bang in form.