Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

No hard feelings

Reading Chris Hughtons tweet the other day makes me feel that we as fans should also show our class. Despite what some would have you believe, the aggression towards CH was never personally motivated or racially motivated, but simply a reflection of frustration from the fans and a desire to see a managerial change based purely on football. This has now happened, and we as fans should move on. We have got what we wanted and there is now no need to perpetuate any campaign against the man.

I doubt anyone would seriously believe that Chris Hughton did not do his best for this club. At the end of the day, we can only try our hardest with the abilities that we all have. Chris Hughton did his best and gave this club his all. That should be respected, even if we didnt agree with his approach. He has been a classy and dignified man throughout what has been a turbulent 2 years for him, and for that we should respect him. I dont feel he has done anything to warrant any further abuse now he is no longer our manager. Being the manager means you are subject to scrutiny, now he isnt, we should leave him alone.

Chris Hughton is a likeable man who thought he was doing what was best for the club.I also believe that it was a stubborn and misguided belief that he was the best man for the job, but he cared and his emotions showed that. I think he has a lot to offer the game and think he will do a good job in the league below, as he has in the past, but doesn''t have enough strings to his bow to manage at this level.He could in a way be a McDermott or a Warnock, a great manager in the Championship but not somebody you would give a £30m budget to in the Premier League. If he is as humble as people say he is though then he should be able to reflect on his time here and learn a lot from his mistakes, it could improve him as a manager if he is prepared to accept some responsibility.He should also think much harder about who he appoints to assist him in future jobs, if Calderwood and Trollope go to Northampton then he should welcome the opportunity to develop relationships with other professionals.His failure here is his own. He doesn''t warrant abuse and never has, but he was warranted plenty of criticism and it is up to him whether he takes that criticism and uses that constructively or takes that criticism and uses it to paint a picture in his mind of being a victim.

He was, for me at least, an entirely likeable bloke and I''m left with the sense that it could have been different for him.

Principally I''d point the finger at his two key back room staff, their CV''s made for some pretty painful reading, the iPad, the general lack of tactical sense, the list goes on.

If last summer he had taken the bold step to change and freshen up his back room I think, perhaps, we could have had a more productive and enjoyable season. Not aiming for some unacheivbly high league placing but playing positive and attacking football.

Having witnessed pretty much every game home and away this season I''m left with the sense that not only did they both let him down but equally as a manager he should have seen the weaknesses around him and acted accordingly.

Truly successful mangers do that and now he''s paid the price.

None the less I see no point in being derogatory about him, his overall conduct as a bloke was tiptop and, as has been well stated above, we should act accordingly.

Shame though.