Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

The New Messiah?

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]So will Neil Adams be the new Messiah or another Gunny. would love to hear your views prior to his first game.[/quote]I think its very hard to say before we even seen his team play. Maybe you should ask the question again after the Fulham game.I could Messiah because I like the man, but then I will be slated and vice versa.

This isn''t aimed at the OP, but more from what i''ve been reading on forums and twitter as people comparing Adams to Gunn is quite ill-informed.

For me, There''s absolutely no similarities between Adams appointment and Gunny''s, other than previously playing for us. You could compare Martin O''Neill with Gunn if that was the only criteria to show how silly this is.

One had been working at the club in a PR/Hospitality/Corporate role, the other has been an active member of the coaching staff.

One was approached by the board after assessing the situation over months, the other had a Facebook campaign and a ''dream'' that forced the clubs hand somewhat.

One took over at an all time low, the other is inheriting, on paper, our best squad for years with potentially 3 England internationals (Ruddy, Redmond & Hooper) at their disposal.

One had never managed before in their life, the other had successfully navigated our youth team to become FA cup holders, and lets not forget that this was very much against the odds.

One has continuously displayed an extensive knowledge/understanding for the game week in week out on radio, the other was walking around dressed as the Sheriff of Norwich.

One was seen as a threat by a previous manager (Roeder) to the point where he was moved from his position, the other was seen cutting the ribbon at his local Budgens store.

All in all, like Hughton, one is a very nice man who got lucky… the other is a professional who''s working his way up through the ranks to a position he deserves, yes of course it''s early in his progression - but there is at least progression there.

To answer the question, i would say he''s going to shove the remarks that the media have been making straight down their throats. New messiah? No-one could achieve what Lambert did for us, but let''s wait and see. Quietly comfortable would be my initial feelings.

Far too soon and frankly impossible to say, 

The pros (knowing the players, committed to the club, success in only coaching season but only at youth level, playing containing but breaking with pace football) are currently outweighed by the apparent cons (never managed a club,  no premier league experience,  limited coaching of first team) where this type of past player appointment rarely turns out well.

Its a bit like the grand national,   we have pinned our choice and now have to cheer from the stands getting behind the club looking for a successful finale.

That reads more negatively than I feel, even thoughs its probably a fair assessment of the situation.    Ee needed a change and Neil can do us proud

I will be at craven cottage cheering the team on with a little more passion than if no change had been made

[quote user="Skijumptoes"] All in all, like Hughton, one is a very nice man who got lucky… the other is a professional who''s working his way up through the ranks to a position he deserves, [/quote]

Look, he''s gone so this is unnecessary and more importantly not true, you need to show a bit more class.

Un-necessary?! That guy and his staff have not only ruined my enjoyment of my club, but also the game as a whole for me. He''s ripped out the very heart which i was proud of, i''ve sat and watched players like Hoolahan and Holt trying to buy their ticket to leave us since he''s come in. So, if iit''s ok with you I''ll leave the class showing to him, and i''ll carry on.

Not sure what''s ''not true'' ? Is he not a very nice man? You realise i''m comparing Gunny with Adams there and not Adams with Hughton, right?!

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]This isn''t aimed at the OP, but more from what i''ve been reading on forums and twitter as people comparing Adams to Gunn is quite ill-informed.

For me, There''s absolutely no similarities between Adams appointment and Gunny''s, other than previously playing for us. You could compare Martin O''Neill with Gunn if that was the only criteria to show how silly this is.

One had been working at the club in a PR/Hospitality/Corporate role, the other has been an active member of the coaching staff.

One was approached by the board after assessing the situation over months, the other had a Facebook campaign and a ''dream'' that forced the clubs hand somewhat.

One took over at an all time low, the other is inheriting, on paper, our best squad for years with potentially 3 England internationals (Ruddy, Redmond & Hooper) at their disposal.

One had never managed before in their life, the other had successfully navigated our youth team to become FA cup holders, and lets not forget that this was very much against the odds.

One has continuously displayed an extensive knowledge/understanding for the game week in week out on radio, the other was walking around dressed as the Sheriff of Norwich.

One was seen as a threat by a previous manager (Roeder) to the point where he was moved from his position, the other was seen cutting the ribbon at his local Budgens store.

All in all, like Hughton, one is a very nice man who got lucky… the other is a professional who''s working his way up through the ranks to a position he deserves, yes of course it''s early in his progression - but there is at least progression there.

To answer the question, i would say he''s going to shove the remarks that the media have been making straight down their throats. New messiah? No-one could achieve what Lambert did for us, but let''s wait and see. Quietly comfortable would be my initial feelings.[/quote]Loved the comparisons there, the more you look at it the crazier the Gunn appointment was.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Un-necessary?! That guy and his staff have not only ruined my enjoyment of my club, but also the game as a whole for me. He''s ripped out the very heart which i was proud of, i''ve sat and watched players like Hoolahan and Holt trying to buy their ticket to leave us since he''s come in. So, if iit''s ok with you I''ll leave the class showing to him, and i''ll carry on. Not sure what''s ''not true'' ? Is he not a very nice man? You realise i''m comparing Gunny with Adams there and not Adams with Hughton, right?![/quote]

If you want to compare Gunn with Adams you don''t need to mention Hughton, that''s why mentioning him was unnecessary, by adding Hughton to the statement you are implying that he is a ''nice man who got lucky'' which he clearly wasn''t. I''ll accept that it''s probably you poor use of the English language.

The other stuff about ripping the heart out of the club, that''s just laughable.

I''ve been given a P45? Damm. God tells me nothing but instead read it on the Internet. What is this world coming too in this digital age?

If you disagree then fine, but ''show some class'' as it''s not laughable for me. I absolutely despise what Hughton and co have done here, and i was happy to sit in silence out of respect as he was Norwich manager. For me, he''s fair game now, he''s no longer a City a man.

And yes, it was poor english on my part, i see what you mean now.

However, Hughton did get lucky, look at the state Newcastle were in, he only got the job as they couldn''t get Shearer, club was up for sale and he was a ''nice man'' to keep things smooth - this is well documented.

Had that not happened he''d still be sat as the more ''balanced'' view in the shadows of another man, and Calderwood etc. would be sat yelling through the fog on a cold scottish lower league pitch somewhere.

But saying that, players, managers all need a bit of luck to get going… I just fail to believe that Hughton really had his eye on a managers job and was happy to play the role as support staff. He''s been in the game for so long and never really made the move up until asked to hold the ripped sails of Newcastle while the owner attempted to jump ship.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"] However, Hughton did get lucky, look at the state Newcastle were in, he only got the job as they couldn''t get Shearer, club was up for sale and he was a ''nice man'' to keep things smooth - this is well documented. [/quote]

This is a bizarre interpretation of what happened at Newcastle. Shearer was given 8 games to save Newcastle and failed, he wasn''t offered the Newcastle job on a permanent basis.

The noises coming from the dressing room, and elsewhere, are that Adams made a good start at the Press Conference. This need not translate into success on the pitch, of course.

Given that our problem over some months was a squad lacking confidence, a clear understanding of what was expected and a brittleness which lead to conceding goals, much will depend on what will go on in the minds of the players. Hence what Adams said about clear instructions and discipline. If he succeeds in promoting his method to the team, selects them according to how they will respond to this and has no "favourites" in selection, then we would expect some more consistent performance. He has also said that he will select younger players - code word for Josh?, if he thinks they will contribute.

It will be a tough game, with both teams playing for their lives in the Premiership, but I hope that we will play with purpose. He will not have time to improve the shooting ability of the team, but they could create better chances. Finally, if he can persuade them to be quick to tackle and also to run into space to receive a pass, then we might just have a chance.

On the Gunn issue, which others have covered more adequately, I would say only that Adams has had a long time to play, to comment and to train players. He will have had more experience of decision making during the match and otherwise, and seen the inadequacies of Hughton in these. We could still be in for a hammering in some of the final four games, because the opponents have much better players, but I hope that the team will show more ability and nous than they would have shown otherwise.