Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Mc Nally and The Board really starting to worry me

Easy things first the decision to get rid of CH was the right thing to do albeit 3 or 4 months too late. Their credibility is significantly undermined by their blinkered decision to stay with CH for so long when it was clear to many that it was not going to turn around.

The decision to appoint Adams should be seen as an appointment to the end of the season. At EPL level he manifestly lacks the credentials for the job albeit over 5 games any change could give us the dead cat bounce to get the 3 points or so needed to stay up.

The talk today about Adams being in poll position to keep the job really does worry me unless it is propaganda splurge which few believe.

If we go down is Adams the man with the track record to get us out of the championship, i think not unless we look to repeat the Wolves mistakes and drop right back down to league 1. If we do go down someone needs the expertise to deal with the break up of this squad and take us forward in one of the hardest leagues . By virtue of relegation he would not have got us the required 3 points to stay up so would not have a mandate.

If we stay up the challenge is even greater to turn around this misfiring and de motivated squad. Would any sensible board give Adams £25m or so to spend with no track record at all? The DI Canio experience should teach us lessons.

If we stay up with another 3 points then great thanks to Adams a healthy bonus for him and revert to his old job and then get a competent and experienced manager at EPL level.

The Board and how they have operated this season do not fill me with confidence for the future and i wonder if they got lucky with the Lambert appointment rather than the image of the club being safe in their hands and the club getting better and stronger by the season which they like to portray. No one will be more grateful then me if Adams pulls this off and with 5 games left we need to be united and behind the whole of the club, but after that which ever the outcome there needs to be a critical post mortum on what mistakes have happened this season

I was critical of the Board for sticking with Hughton too long but I can see why they wanted to give him the maximum time and they hoped that the stability would allow him to turn things around. Things were getting worse and worse and Saturday was an obvious breaking point. They got themselves in a hard place, many praised them for showing guts and determination to see it through, but they could see it wasn''t working and whichever route they chose it was going to be tough. But they have done the right thing, something numpties like Lineker will never appreciate watching only a few clipped highlights on TV.

Regarding Adams I feel much will depend on how he approaches these 5 games. I would expect the Board will want to bring in an experienced manager and set Neil as a Number 2 if we stay up. If we go down he may well stay but with an experienced coach and assistant coming in to help. Go and get results at United and Chelsea and the job must be his either way! With a fresh approach he may be able to keep those members of the squad he wants and let some leave.

His talk is already refreshing- rather than mentioning the threat of the last 4 games he has said there are points available- unlikely perhaps but too right.

I tend to agree with your points, but would also say that, Sherwood at Spurs has done a fantastic job and will probably be replaced come the summer for an experienced Dutch coach with no Premiership experience. I wonder if you take the Spurs fans view right now, would they want to keep Sherwwod or takt the gamble?

I have no issue with Adams taking the job for the time being but, come May I would hope which ever division we are in the board would take time to insure the best manager avaiblable would be given the job!

I was also getting concerned but feel a bit better after the press conference, feels like we are getting the old McNally back. I personally think that the club have a manager in mind for the summer and that''s why the were sticking with Hughton, hoping they wouldn''t need to sack him before summer.If I fancied a bet I''d put my money on Lennon.

The board acted correctly over CH imo so lets all move on now.

I am not sure the board have done anything wrong;   as recently as sunderland the players broadly appeared to be playng for the manager and we were sat 15th or so in the table.    Last weekend demonstrated a completely different situation.

I would be more concerned if mcnally was to move on,  which seems to be a growing possibility.

Yorkshire, I think you''re right regarding it being propaganda (saying Adams is in pole position). It''s the right thing to say at this stage, to give Adams the confidence of the board''s backing. If it goes tits-up and Adams does worse than expectations (not that they are high), then McNally will be ruthless again as with Gunn.

I think it was never more than a 50/50 gamble to sack Hughton at any stage this season - he had the track record of a mid-table finish, and stability is a virtue. It''s just that CH couldn''t take advantage of it, and showed no progression - just endless stabs in the dark, and wildly inconsistent performances.

So I back McNally as much as I ever have.

In McNally I trust!