Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Fulham fans on forum split...

On whether their chances are greatly improved or hindered by Hughton''s sacking. Some think they are set to thrash us and others think we are going to get a honeymoon period.A couple of posters have said that the game will depend on which team wants it more, and I agree with that. We need to hope that our squad goes out feeling they have a point to prove and that Adams can get them up for this game.... we didn''t look like we wanted it enough against West Brom.The Norwich player who got mentioned the most was Snodgrass, apparently Fulham are terrible at defending set pieces and they are all scared of Snodgrass. Could of done with Holt in this game if that is the case, backing into people and winning a free kick every five minutes. If set pieces are their weakness, and assuming that this includes corners, then that makes me really wonder who we should pick for this game. The answer will probably be whoever has the hunger.... but despite wanting done with inverted wingers.... Redmond on the left high up the pitch winning corners, Snodgrass on the right winning and taking free kicks. Who up front though? We don''t really have a striker with aerial ability..... Becchio probably fits that description best. We''ve missed Kei Kamara in a way, or Grant Holt..... Grant showed at the weekend why we miss him, and why we''ve had games with double digit corners and no goals. Could set pieces and Becchio really be the answer?

Not having a clue how Adams will set out, and Hughton being so predictable in his selection and game plan, should alone give us a better chance than we would have had under Hughton. I hope in Adams we have a manager who focuses more on the oppositions weaknesses than our own, because Fulham fans are basically telling us our game plan on their forum..... they conceded most of their goals from set pieces. Ironically last season with Holt in the team we scored most of our goals from set pieces (Bassong and Turner would chip in too), and now I never feel like a corner or indirect free kick will result in a goal.

I think that the issue with the ''inverted wingers'' was that it was so predictable! Yes Snoddy can go past a player, however under Clueless he lacked the ability of using the right boot, so he would either cut in or turn back to cross on his left. Not the hardest to defend against. Also playing Wes on the wing at the start of the West Brom game??!! Not even going to mention that choice again. I think we should play the wingers on the side of their favoured foot so at least there is the chance of sending in some service to our forwards first time. This for me is what has been lacking so much this season. Yes RVW, GH and Elmander haven''t taken many chances, but they haven''t exactly had much to create from. Personally I think I would go for (if all fit that is) Ruddy, Olsson, Bassong, Yobbo, Martin, Johnson/Fer, Snoddy (on the left!!) Redmond (on the right!!), Howson/Wes, Becchio and then Elmander. Gone for Becchio and Elmander as they seem to have a bit more strength in the air. But I guess I''m not the one making the calls. I just hope we can get something from Fulham, unlike last time we needed something from there!

It was actually a silly thing to say because we could have Snodgrass on the left and Redmond on the right to the same effect.Redmond going on the outside more will win us more corners..... just that Snodgrass is so ineffective on the left, he often plays there for Scotland and is anonymous when he does. He will still be able to take the set pieces though.We have no idea what kind of state Pilkington is in physically and mentally though, he has been a huge loss this season but hasn''t looked interested. Think he has probably had his head turned by Swansea or Liverpool.... would be a huge player if it was just a Hughton rift, but is a liability of he isn''t interested.

For me, it''s time to put this ''bogey'' team to bed. We haven''t won at the cottage since 1986, so it''s poised for us to go get a result & some payback.

I''m not sure Adam''s is going to change too much, except instil some belief in the lads which has been sadly lacking of late.

Saturday cannot come soon enough!!

I''m just worried that the lack of confidence is so severe that no man can change it.Who knows, they say "what a difference a day makes", and so maybe "what a difference a week makes".

Obviously the main reason for the change of manager is to instil some basic belief and hope. I think it''s certainly having the desired effect on the fans, hopefully the team is feeling a renewed sense of belief as well. So I think we will certainly have that going for us into the game, but you could argue that so will Fulham after their win over Villa.

Ruddy

Martin Yobo Turner Olsson

Tettey

Snoddy Redmond

Howson Elmander

Hooper

I''d like to include Pilkington in that squad and Adams will know better than any of us whether he is up to playing from the start. I am certainly very interested to see what the line up will be and I genuinely don''t know what to expect, maybe that''s what will catch Fulham out, they really don''t know what to expect.

Pressure is on Fulham in my opinion. Home fans will be expecting more of the same recent form, if Adams can give the team a verbal confidence jab and we start well then I think we have a big chance.

On paper, we have a decent squad with the majority of our players under performing, so there is big capacity for us to greatly improve.

As good as Scott Parker etc are, how up for a dogfight are they realistically. We''ll find out soon enough.

[quote user="Le Juge"]I''m just worried that the lack of confidence is so severe that no man can change it.

Who knows, they say "what a difference a day makes", and so maybe "what a difference a week makes".
[/quote]

TBH what do the Fulham fans know on their forum ?  We''re much better placed to have a view on this.

Also after our last couple of dire away games, with Hughton in charge you''d have been fearful of Fulham getting a repeat of last year anyway.  Which I think is a major reason why Hughton has been sacked.

So for me it can only be a positive.  The change of manager for us is likely to motivate/liberate the players and Adams is a safe pair of hands.  If we lose Saturday anyway at least the club has given it a go and there are still another 4 games, we really only need one result from them.  If we get a win Saturday we''re effectively safe.  Even a draw leaves them 5 points behind us with 4 to play.

"We''re much better placed to have a view on this"Are we? I had no idea Fulham were terrible at defending set pieces, but Lambert and Holt obviously didn''t because they worked a goal out of a corner.Would Hughton set up to exploit a weakness in the opposition (OK so they failed to get a point, but mayve wouldn''t have if Benteke and Kozic were fit), or would he be focussing on nullifying the oppositions strengths, and in the words of the anonymous former player.... concentrating on not making a mistake?I''d hope that Adams has done his research, sure he will have, but if we line up without Snodgrass and with no height up front I will automatically assume that we haven''t.I''m getting a little nervous actually, although nervous is better than defeated before we''d even kicked a ball which is what I was feeling before away games before this change, feeling more emotion before a game this week than I have for a long time.

Are we better placed than the Fulham fans to have a view on whether the change from Adams to Hughton is likely to be a help or hindrance to us on Saturday ?  Seriously ?  In the same way, I have no clue as to whether their two managerial changes so far this season were a good or a bad move. They won at Villa last weekend so that looks positive, but then Villa are having their worst home season ever.

As for Fulham''s weak areas... unfortunately, as someone who supported sticking with CH as manager until Saturday afternoon, he''s never been great at winning the tactical battle IMO.  It was more a case of having an approach, which sometimes worked and sometimes didn''t.

So tactically I feel we are (at least) no worse off with Adams in charge, and probably better - but it''s certainly a gamble.  The big plus with Adams in charge is that hopefully it will help the players shed their demoralized attitude.  So a worthwhile gamble IMO.

It is also a worthwhile gamble in my view too. But I have no idea whether we will be better off or not.I''ve got a sense of excitement and nervousness today for the first time in months, nice to have it back.