Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Adams and the wide players

Being an ex-winger, what does everyone think he will ask from players like Snoddy, Pilks and Redmond etc.?
Think he''ll stick playing them inverted?  If he goes with Wolfy then he needs to address supply.  Man, what a massive job he has on his hands.
This week is going to fly by for him, and i''m really not sure if he should be sticking with the basic set up that we''ve been playing and hope that change of manager/belief is going to get us 3 points at the weekend, or whether he should shake things up.
Personally i think the majority of our failure to pick up points this season is based on mentality, not wrong formations and/or tactics.  But being a winger himself i can''t help but think the first thing he''ll do is get them hard out wide with the clear instruction to deliver balls into the box.  Pilks could be massive for us Saturday if so.

Snoddy our most potent attacking force must start on the right.

What i find most interesting is being able to now assess our current squad from a fresh viewpoint. Knowing that things could change significantly in terms of how we line up.

It''s suddenly became blatantly clear that we don''t have any established partnerships in the team, i''m thinking more specifically in this case in regards to Drury and Huckerby - Where they were so dynamic and in tune in one another we had a huge threat going forwards and great defensive cover from two players.

Adams hasn''t got these obstacles to deal with, and that makes me feel a little bit empty. It''s dawned on me that we totally lack character!!

In a way that''s a positive for a new manager coming in, as he can make these changes without breaking up any existing partnerships… As there''s nothing to break - No Hoolahan to your Holts, no McKay to your Flemings etc.

Is that part of our downfall this season, or is it good management making us un-reliant on specific players?!

I personally believe one inverted winger can work, so you go with a traditional wide player one side, a Snodgrass or Huckerby like player on the other.  What I really don''t like is two inverted winger, as we''ve played 95% of this season to date. The problem is Snodgrass just doesn''t work on the left wing, he''s too slow to be a winger in the traditional sense.  He''s also in the rare boat of being a lefty who wants to be on the right, so we don''t have a natural left side player to take that wing (Pilks can do a decent job and is prepared to ping in a cross with his left foot).For a club that has decent right footed wingers in Redmond, Pilks, Bennett (when fit), it''s criminal that these are being played out of position on the left wing just to accommodate Snodgrass.  With this in mind, I''d personally pick Redmond on the right and Pilkington on the left at Fulham on Saturday.As for Snodgrass, play him off the striker in the role he''s been playing recently for Scotland.RuddyMartin Turner Yobo OlssonRedmond Tettey Howson PilkingtonSnodgrassHooper

I said the exact same thing this afternoon Matt!

I''d love to see Redmond, Pilkington & Snodgrass starting with one striker ahead of them - all 3 could interchange and the opposition would struggle to keep tabs on them all.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]I personally believe one inverted winger can work, so you go with a traditional wide player one side, a Snodgrass or Huckerby like player on the other.  What I really don''t like is two inverted winger, as we''ve played 95% of this season to date. The problem is Snodgrass just doesn''t work on the left wing, he''s too slow to be a winger in the traditional sense.  He''s also in the rare boat of being a lefty who wants to be on the right, so we don''t have a natural left side player to take that wing (Pilks can do a decent job and is prepared to ping in a cross with his left foot).For a club that has decent right footed wingers in Redmond, Pilks, Bennett (when fit), it''s criminal that these are being played out of position on the left wing just to accommodate Snodgrass.  With this in mind, I''d personally pick Redmond on the right and Pilkington on the left at Fulham on Saturday.As for Snodgrass, play him off the striker in the role he''s been playing recently for Scotland.RuddyMartin Turner Yobo OlssonRedmond Tettey Howson PilkingtonSnodgrassHooper[/quote]Agreed, good formation and perfect way to adopt Snoddy who looks at his best getting in the box and scoring goals (unlike our strikers). You fancy a job at Carrow Road? There''s one going.

Aside from the centre back pairing, I picked this team too on an earlier thread..

Adams'' youth team played with pace on the break, one thing I never understood with Hughton''s tactics, as we were always playing a containing formation. I always thought the idea of containment was to draw the opposition in and then counter. to do this you require pace. Pilks and Redmond will offer this, I just don''t see Snoddy as a wide right player in the traditional winger sense.

I picked this team although moved Redmond to the left if Pilks isn''t up to it, and put E. Benno on the right. Apart from that its a perfect team.

I''ve always thought that Snodgrass is crying out to be used in a central area. Sometimes him on the right worked, but more often than not it slowed things down and was one of the main parts that was broken under Hughton. If Hoolahan wasn''t playing then we''d be bereft of ideas when attacking centrally and resort to playing it out wide in order to cross.Elmander has often played either off or alongside the main striker and I just don''t think that works very well in most games, especially when Snodgrass is on the right and Fer is absent from midfield.

You have to play Snodgrass as he clearly gets fired up, draws tackles and is dangerous from free kicks. But he has to start central. If he plays left as others have said we will be in the same Hughton mode, too slow and left with two inverteds. We need to get to the byline much more- we saw the youth team do this a lot and need to ping cutbacks for Hoops to run onto. I can see a midfield 5 of Redmond, Pilkington, Snodgrass, Tettey and Johnson (as I don''t think you can put Howson in there if you already have Snodgrass). Johnson may not be the quickest but we need his solidity and he is another with some fire in his belly.

Sorry, I meant "if he plays right", not "left". But actually that midfield with Olsson and Martin getting forward to support the wingers could be very exciting!

Only seen highlights of Scotland matches so this isn''t really a greatly educated post, but personally, i can''t see it working with Snoddy in the centre. He needs space to operate the job that he does most effectively, give him the space and he''ll draw players in.

In the centre there, he''s going to be running in to bodies and flinging himself on the floor and not making the killer through balls that we require. We need to think about supply going in to our forward(s).

Hoolahan, on his game can run the show sat behind the forward(s), because he''s agile, has a great first touch and can spot a pass. Can Snoddy do that? keep him out wide i say. Surely he can adapt to be played on the other side?!

If you play Snodgrass out wide right, you end up with two inverted wingers as we have no naturally left footed winger at the moment. This was one of the major criticisms of Hughton and why service to RVW and Hooper has been poor (they are not Holt, Lambert, Carroll or Crouch type players for whom it might work). He has not exactly been pinging imaginative passes through, he''ll either cut back and swing a cross in towards the keeper or hope that Martin goes on an overlap, but that leaves us defensively exposed as he isn''t quick enough to get back to cover if they break down our right.

If Snodgrass can''t play in the centre then Hoolahan is the best option, but you lose Snodgrass''s determination and free kicks.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="Matt Juler"]I personally believe one inverted winger can work, so you go with a traditional wide player one side, a Snodgrass or Huckerby like player on the other.  What I really don''t like is two inverted winger, as we''ve played 95% of this season to date.

The problem is Snodgrass just doesn''t work on the left wing, he''s too slow to be a winger in the traditional sense.  He''s also in the rare boat of being a lefty who wants to be on the right, so we don''t have a natural left side player to take that wing (Pilks can do a decent job and is prepared to ping in a cross with his left foot).

For a club that has decent right footed wingers in Redmond, Pilks, Bennett (when fit), it''s criminal that these are being played out of position on the left wing just to accommodate Snodgrass.  With this in mind, I''d personally pick Redmond on the right and Pilkington on the left at Fulham on Saturday.

As for Snodgrass, play him off the striker in the role he''s been playing recently for Scotland.

Ruddy
Martin Turner Yobo Olsson
Redmond Tettey Howson Pilkington
Snodgrass
Hooper
[/quote]

Agreed, good formation and perfect way to adopt Snoddy who looks at his best getting in the box and scoring goals (unlike our strikers). You fancy a job at Carrow Road? There''s one going.
[/quote]

Am liking the sound of this line up. Quite refreshing to put Snoddy in this sort of position. I''m not a big follower of international fixtures, so haven''t seen this in action. I agree with other comments about it being a concern by having to accomodate him on the right and forcing our other talented right wingers on the left.

I would love to hear how Snoddy played that position for scotland - was he still moving with the ball at his feet rying to force his way through, or was he playing more of a give and go role trying to control that area?

When you look at Leeds and how he and Becchio had a provider/goal scorer relationship - he can clearly provide a forward consistent delivery over a season, but was this done predominately from the right? I honestly don''t know.

I have memories of Snoddy being quite loose in that leeds team where he would come deep and pick the ball up, and not of a player who would be hugging the touchline so much. If he''s been provider in that position before then is the difference that he''s against better opposition, or has something changed in his game?

Snodgrass'' best position is on the right. He''s too slow (any talk of his ''bombing down the wing'' on the left wing is daft), but he can beat a man & is strong enough to force himself into the area (when he doesn''t fall over). Also he can score.

He might be OK in the hole, but I think he''d be nullified in a more congested area. That''s where Hooly''s touch, skill, passing & nippiness (?) is best used. By far his best position.

For whatever reason, Redmond has lost his effectiveness. Pilkington offers more (except pace), but doesn''t look like he wants to be here. I''m pretty sure Olsson is playing through pain, so that''s a problem. Garrido or Gutierrez? Neither offer as much unfortunately.

I think at some point Adams has to lay it on the line, that most of their careers are at stake. It''s up to them.

I just hope he can identify those who are really up for the battles ahead!

[quote user="ron obvious"]Snodgrass'' best position is on the right. He''s too slow (any talk of his ''bombing down the wing'' on the left wing is daft), but he can beat a man & is strong enough to force himself into the area (when he doesn''t fall over). Also he can score.

He might be OK in the hole, but I think he''d be nullified in a more congested area. That''s where Hooly''s touch, skill, passing & nippiness (?) is best used. By far his best position.

For whatever reason, Redmond has lost his effectiveness. Pilkington offers more (except pace), but doesn''t look like he wants to be here. I''m pretty sure Olsson is playing through pain, so that''s a problem. Garrido or Gutierrez? Neither offer as much unfortunately.

I think at some point Adams has to lay it on the line, that most of their careers are at stake. It''s up to them.

I just hope he can identify those who are really up for the battles ahead![/quote]Personally I think for the left back role Whittaker is probably our best option if Olsson is out injured, which he is normally cover for. I was a bit confused how one of our wingers ended up out of position there on Saturday. They used Snodgrass in a midfield 3 with Garrido and Fox at home to Fulham in the FA cup and I thought it worked quite well. Snodgrass has got a good physical presence which means he is likely to be more adept to holding on to the ball than Hoolahan plus has a good passing range (hence the free kicks). He also provides more of a goal threat than Hoolahan. Wes has often failed to work in a 4-5-1 which is why I think he''s spent much of the season finding himself on the bench.Still while these are all possibilities the major issue for the past two years has been the management teams disinterest in trying these potential formations sticking to a tried and failed formula of a 4-4-1-1 with Snodgrass on the left, Hooper / RVW up front with one in behind and a flat back four who push forward for set-pieces and leave themselves open.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="ron obvious"]Snodgrass'' best position is on the right. He''s too slow (any talk of his ''bombing down the wing'' on the left wing is daft), but he can beat a man & is strong enough to force himself into the area (when he doesn''t fall over). Also he can score.

I just hope he can identify those who are really up for the battles ahead![/quote]Personally I think for the left back role Whittaker is probably our best option if Olsson is out injured, which he is normally cover for. I was a bit confused how one of our wingers ended up out of position there on Saturday. They used Snodgrass in a midfield 3 with Garrido and Fox at home to Fulham in the FA cup and I thought it worked quite well. Snodgrass has got a good physical presence which means he is likely to be more adept to holding on to the ball than Hoolahan plus has a good passing range (hence the free kicks). He also provides more of a goal threat than Hoolahan. Wes has often failed to work in a 4-5-1 which is why I think he''s spent much of the season finding himself on the bench.Still while these are all possibilities the major issue for the past two years has been the management teams disinterest in trying these potential formations sticking to a tried and failed formula of a 4-4-1-1 with Snodgrass on the left, Hooper / RVW up front with one in behind and a flat back four who push forward for set-pieces and leave themselves open.[/quote]Sorry Snodgrass on the "right". I''ll have to learn the different some time.

Why is everybody trying to accommodate the player who has slowed our attacks down all season, closed the space down for forwards to play in, closed the space down for the midfielders to attack, closed the space down for the midfield to play balls into the box, been slow when needed to cover an overlapping fullback, demanded the ball at all set pieces whether they were being delivered well or not, continually delivered the ball with the ''wrong'' foot to the heart of opposing defences making it easy to defend against and who has not the pace or guile to get to the goal line and put in a good cross?

I think Yellow Wall it''s because no one can argue the fact he has been our biggest threat once again this season. More assists and goals than any other player, more chances created.

He often gets abused for his crossing, but there is no one in the box to cross to the majority of times. It''s a problem with the system under Hughton, he was adamant we should get the ball wide and into the box, but we got rid of our two target men last season without replacing them, so the system just makes no sense.