Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Fulham. Much more than 3 points at stake!

Sitting around at Gatwick Airport and perusing the National papers to pass the time it is clear how we are being lined up after sacking their darling Hughton.

Basically we have one game''s grace before the knives come out. The Fulham game is seen as our best chance this season to get a result. Maybe our only chance. After that we are anticipated to fall hard. But that isn''t half of it. The Sun has already cast Adams as Alan Partridge due to his local radio work and lose on Saturday that is how they will mock him and us. The Telegraph and others see Saturday as the only justification for the actions of ouf Board and will take a stance based on that result.

I personally agree it is a ridiculous time to sack a manager but only because it should have been done much earlier rather than not at all. We now find ourselves making the big decision whilst drinking at the Last Chance Saloon and the press have quickly taken that on as a story with a quick escalation ie newsworthy. No wonder we got so much press.

The press like Hughton. Hughton is a nice guy backed up by a scarcity value through his skin colour. He is also a contemporary of many pundits like Lineker who personally delivered the missive which set the media tone.

We are not justplaying Fulham on Saturday; we are playing the National media and conveniently in their back yard. They WANT to make us a laughing stock. If they do it could be like a millstone to drag us down.

How much more incentive do we need? We have been humiliated at Craven Cottage before. This time the stakes are higher. Time to stand up and fight.

Maybe we should let the comic sun know that alan partridge is not the only thing that comes out of Norfolk i.e Bernard Matthews turkeys and the word stuffed comes to mind

Well said Rudolph. It wouldn''t do any harm for Adams to show the players all the negative press about the decision and to tell them about the press wanting to make them a laughing stock.. could get them even more fired up!

It''s one of the downsides of the Premier League. We enjoy pitting ourselves against the big boys, but as a PL club there''ll be a spotlight and media looking always for "news" and a story. Not being one of their darling clubs (like West Ham, QPR, Liverpool, Arsenal) we''re just fodder for hungry and usually lazy journos. They know nothing about our club, don''t watch the games and don''t understand the dynamics. We are just a story to them, the more extreme the better. This has been Christmas for them during a relatively fallow weekend, and hopefully our Neil can use this to his advantage.

It is a downside to being in the Prem but better than the alternative.  I mean if 1p5wich sacked their manager, would anyone notice ?  I can''t even remember who is their manager now.

It was irritating in the car yesterday driving back from a meeting over in Liverpool.  The sports news on Radio 2 was running the story that McNally said the Board had no choice but to sack Hughton and there was an exchange at one point something like this :

DJ (after the sports bulletin while bantering with the sports guy) "So they had "no choice" did they?  They could have not sacked him.  That would have been a choice." (Laughs).[This was just a joke, not really a pro-Hughton comment IMO].

Sports Guy : "Well if you look at their fixtures, after Fulham on Saturday they''ve got games against teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City I think.  Certainly a very tough set of fixtures."

DJ "They''re down aren''t they"

Sports Guy : "It looks like it".

Well, if it "looks like we''re down" given our final fixtures and current position, then changing the manager would be a logical move, wouldn''t it ?  The only reason we''re favourites for relegation - as we''re 5 points above Fulham - is that we''ve been in a slump while they''ve picked up a couple of good results.  Changing the manager is a way to try to get us out of it.

A win on Saturday would be immensely satisfying for so many reasons.

[quote user="MancCanary"]Well said Rudolph. It wouldn''t do any harm for Adams to show the players all the negative press about the decision and to tell them about the press wanting to make them a laughing stock.. could get them even more fired up![/quote]

Yeah because football players are too thick to read it themselves.

**** now I have a picture in my head of Russell Martin sitting in the canteen sporting his reading glassing scanning the Telegraph while sipping a cup of Earl Grey. Then Allo Neyul rushes up with a copy of the sun shouting have you seen this s**t they''ve written about me?

[quote user="Private Frazer"][quote user="MancCanary"]Well said Rudolph. It wouldn''t do any harm for Adams to show the players all the negative press about the decision and to tell them about the press wanting to make them a laughing stock.. could get them even more fired up![/quote]

Yeah because football players are too thick to read it themselves.[/quote]

Jeez, alright mate.. I just meant he could gather it all up and make more of a compelling point by showing them all of it together.. maybe with a nice power point presentation (joke).

Maybe some of the players won''t read some of the press? Maybe some of them won''t take it on board? Maybe it would be advantageous to use it as motivation. Twas just an idea.

Agreed Rudolph, its all scripted, the headlines are already written, only we can change them.

Hopefully.

It was irritating in the car yesterday driving back from a meeting over in Liverpool.  The sports news on Radio 2 was running the story that McNally said the Board had no choice but to sack Hughton and there was an exchange at one point something like this :

DJ (after the sports bulletin while bantering with the sports guy) "So they had "no choice" did they?  They could have not sacked him.  That would have been a choice." (Laughs).[This was just a joke, not really a pro-Hughton comment IMO].

Sports Guy : "Well if you look at their fixtures, after Fulham on Saturday they''ve got games against teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City I think.  Certainly a very tough set of fixtures."

DJ "They''re down aren''t they"

Sports Guy : "It looks like it".

if the ''DJ'' was Steve Wright then that is priceless as that is who Alan Partridge is partly based uponotherwise good OP againperhaps Adams could mince up and down the touchline, pout at the camera and call himself by a silly nickname ...... not forgetting to avoid shaving two days before the match............ they''ll love him for thatand if we do win I wonder who will be tasked with writing up Linekers script on the autocue, and what will be the cheeky chappie end lineroll on saturdayup and at ''em boys !

Sorry to be a massive pedant, but I think Partridge is based on many people, not one person in particular. Deffo shades of Steve Wright though :) And many other DJs! Also some Tony Wilson, and maybe a bit of Richard Madeley too I like to think!

[quote user="MancCanary"]Sorry to be a massive pedant, but I think Partridge is based on many people, not one person in particular. Deffo shades of Steve Wright though :) And many other DJs! Also some Tony Wilson, and maybe a bit of Richard Madeley too I like to think![/quote]Er, I am sorry, but who is Alan Partridge?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Sitting around at Gatwick Airport and perusing the National papers to pass the time it is clear how we are being lined up after sacking their darling Hughton. Basically we have one game''s grace before the knives come out. The Fulham game is seen as our best chance this season to get a result. Maybe our only chance. After that we are anticipated to fall hard. But that isn''t half of it. The Sun has already cast Adams as Alan Partridge due to his local radio work and lose on Saturday that is how they will mock him and us. The Telegraph and others see Saturday as the only justification for the actions of ouf Board and will take a stance based on that result. I personally agree it is a ridiculous time to sack a manager but only because it should have been done much earlier rather than not at all. We now find ourselves making the big decision whilst drinking at the Last Chance Saloon and the press have quickly taken that on as a story with a quick escalation ie newsworthy. No wonder we got so much press. The press like Hughton. Hughton is a nice guy backed up by a scarcity value through his skin colour. He is also a contemporary of many pundits like Lineker who personally delivered the missive which set the media tone. We are not justplaying Fulham on Saturday; we are playing the National media and conveniently in their back yard. They WANT to make us a laughing stock. If they do it could be like a millstone to drag us down. How much more incentive do we need? We have been humiliated at Craven Cottage before. This time the stakes are higher. Time to stand up and fight.[/quote]

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

[quote user="MancCanary"]Sorry to be a massive pedant, but I think Partridge is based on many people, not one person in particular. Deffo shades of Steve Wright though :) And many other DJs! Also some Tony Wilson, and maybe a bit of Richard Madeley too I like to think![/quote]Nope, initially based on SW as told to me by one Stephen Grant, comic, writer and friend of Coogan.Tthe character has evolved beyond SW but he was definitely the ''template'' - a person rather more odious than even AP.

''Love the show Steve''

Truly an obnoxious performer who has ruined Radio 2 weekday afternoons and Sunday mornings.Yuk!

OT Stuff the national media

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="MancCanary"]Sorry to be a massive pedant, but I think Partridge is based on many people, not one person in particular. Deffo shades of Steve Wright though :) And many other DJs! Also some Tony Wilson, and maybe a bit of Richard Madeley too I like to think![/quote]Nope, initially based on SW as told to me by one Stephen Grant, comic, writer and friend of Coogan.Tthe character has evolved beyond SW but he was definitely the ''template'' - a person rather more odious than even AP.

I beg to differIn an interview with Steve Coogan, at the launch of his new Sky Atlantic show he said ..................... "He wasn''t based on anyone. He really isn''t."http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a384784/alan-partridge-isnt-based-on-anyone-says-steve-coogan.html#~oARPp6CYPXfgQq

[/quote]

yes, he is going to openly state that ................ durrrrrrrrrrrperhaps you might to care to ask why he was asked that question

[quote user="City1st"]yes, he is going to openly state that ................ durrrrrrrrrrrperhaps you might to care to ask why he was asked that question

[/quote]

Perhaps it was because people keep trotting out ITK statements about who they definitively know the character was based on. Or maybe its another conspiracy