Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

so, when exactly 'should' Hughton have been sacked?

If the board didn''t have confidence in the manager then he should have been sacked just after Christmas. But instead (it would appear) they severely limited him in his spending in the January transfer window. We were told that funds were available, and we ended up with a couple of loans. To my mind they should have backed him or sacked him at that point.I think the board tried a bit to do things on the cheap, and that point envisaged, as I did, that Hughton would do enough to keep us up (obviously primarily with our home form) Which obviously changed on Saturday, as I''m sure the board made the assumption (es everyone here did) that we would beat West Brom, and be effectively safe now. Obviously once the game was lost, and the crowd turned and they were forced into a corner, with only one candidate to take over for the rest of the season.And as much as I''m a fan of McNally, his veiled media threats about Hughton''s future at the club were a bit unprofessional.

I would have reacted last January (2013) but the board got it right sticking with him then. The alarm bells had been ringing since the first league game and the loaning out of Vaughan.Last summer would have been the right time but I can see why the board felt that given the budget he could still be the right man.Failure to act by this last December was pretty criminal as we had then been a full 12 months without a genuinely good performance.That he has gone now may prove the right timing too though- Adams enthusiasm can be harnessed to give us a bounce and doesn''t have to stay the course- just 5 games.The question that the ''inners'' kept asking was ''who would replace Hughton?'' to be fair to that perspective the fact may have been that no one acceptable was that interested in taking over NCFC this year- so what is the right amount of time to give Adams... probably 5 or 6 matches is about right, the pressure isn''t intense because no one expects him to get anything from 4 of the 5 games. We could lose all 5 and still stay up in theory. If we get anything from these 15 points then he has done OK and if we go down it is in no way his fault.Ideal scenario- Adams lets the shackles off and the team attacks Fulham and we get 3 points before scraping a point from one of the next four games while playing more positively throughout. Adams then becomes head coach/ assistant manager under a Hoddle or similar who has been around but doesn''t have a team they will bring with them, as either Director of Football or Manager.So to sum up... any time during Hughtons time at NCFC would have been fine to sack him in my eyes but having not done so by this January the board may have got it spot on with the timing of leaving it til now!

So many options to pick from and just about all credible. But to me the home defeat to Fulham would have been it, get Rosler in, nearly a month to assess the players and spend a bit where he wanted in the transfer window.

Both his pre-seasons, looking back now, were other signs of the approach he brought to the league games, but I believe that 99% wanted him to succeed so we all looked for positives.

I remember thinking that this season would be one genuinely to savour, with the signings last summer I was convinced we would push on and sit comfortably in mid table mediocrity with some barnstorming performances and buckles being swashed along the way. It has been a monumental let down.