Sign in to follow this  
Kingston Yellow

'Senior Player' rumour

There was this line in an article in The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/06/norwich-chris-hughton-sacked-west-bromwich

"One long-standing player, an important and respected figure within the club, has privately let it be known that what they perceived to be Hughton''s constant criticism and emphasis on the negative meant the players were going into games more focused on not making mistakes than on creating opportunities."

My guess would be Russell Martin, when you watch him in the interview he clearly covers and touches his mouth several times at the beginning suggesting he may not be completely honest when he says they are disappointed to see the trio go. There are also a few wry smiles as well.

Take from it what you will but I remember after the Adams interview Martin did say about hughton being negative and hopefully Adams will let them express themselves again!

By the sounds of it the players weren''t his biggest fan as a manager but all respected him as a person which as why there was never much critism for him

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]There was this line in an article in The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/06/norwich-chris-hughton-sacked-west-bromwich

"One long-standing player, an important and respected figure within the club, has privately let it be known that what they perceived to be Hughton''s constant criticism and emphasis on the negative meant the players were going into games more focused on not making mistakes than on creating opportunities."[/quote]A player speaking privately about problems at the club ?Whatever next ?It makes you wonder if another player (or even players) have also spoken about similar mattersWhat can it all mean I ask myself ?

Mmmmm, now why is it that under the previous regime all our strikers turned into shit, now some would argue that it was because they were shit when they came here, do they really still believe that?

Is it really really true that we didnt score goals because the players were not good enough?

In truth it smacks of lazy journalism. You could pick virtually any team and there will be a "senior player" who will privately criticise the current set up, largely because they aren''t getting in the team. Man City and Liverpool will have players happy to have a moan to the right journo, at the right time.

Or of course it might have been made up!

"One long-standing player, an important and respected figure within the

club, has privately let it be known that what they perceived to be

Hughton''s constant criticism and emphasis on the negative meant the

players were going into games more focused on not making mistakes than

on creating opportunities."
Neil Adams fits the description just as well as Russ does or Iwan or Hucks or quite a a few others. The journo also says that the long standing player made the statement privately, he doesnt say that he personally was in conversation directly with the mystery long standing player, basically hearsay then from an unnamed source.Long standing player does not mean long standing player for NCFCAlternately the journo might have made it up

There are always going to be players who are going to have a moan in private - they have to talk to someone about their frustrations. It usually means very little in the scheme of things.   Workers moan about bosses and bosses moan about workers.  We''re all human (well most of us).   The problem comes when people try to big the stories up - like the media do - and like some fans try to do. It gives them a feeling of excitement that there is something going on they don''t know about.  People love a good conspiracy theory and therefore we should take any rumours with a pinch of salt. 

If people think rumours are harmless, well there are plenty of examples where rumour has been quite damaging.   Poor Steve Morison was the butt of serious rumours, quite nasty and damaging.  Rumours occur most when people are already down.   Morison was already a scapegoat - if he had carried on scoring goals, the nasty rumours would have all but disappeared.   Same with Hughton.   Down and - to some people - discredited, so it will be easy for a bandwagon over rumourmongering to take hold, unless people take them with a pinch of salt.  Sad, but true.

[quote user="lake district canary"]There are always going to be players who are going to have a moan in private - they have to talk to someone about their frustrations. It usually means very little in the scheme of things.   Workers moan about bosses and bosses moan about workers.  We''re all human (well most of us).   The problem comes when people try to big the stories up - like the media do - and like some fans try to do. It gives them a feeling of excitement that there is something going on they don''t know about.  People love a good conspiracy theory and therefore we should take any rumours with a pinch of salt. 

If people think rumours are harmless, well there are plenty of examples where rumour has been quite damaging.   Poor Steve Morison was the butt of serious rumours, quite nasty and damaging.  Rumours occur most when people are already down.   Morison was already a scapegoat - if he had carried on scoring goals, the nasty rumours would have all but disappeared.   Same with Hughton.   Down and - to some people - discredited, so it will be easy for a bandwagon over rumourmongering to take hold, unless people take them with a pinch of salt.  Sad, but true.

[/quote]

Rumours about Hughton? I didn''t hear any rumours?  

[quote user="GPB"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]There are always going to be players who are going to have a moan in private - they have to talk to someone about their frustrations. It usually means very little in the scheme of things.   Workers moan about bosses and bosses moan about workers.  We''re all human (well most of us).   The problem comes when people try to big the stories up - like the media do - and like some fans try to do. It gives them a feeling of excitement that there is something going on they don''t know about.  People love a good conspiracy theory and therefore we should take any rumours with a pinch of salt. 

If people think rumours are harmless, well there are plenty of examples where rumour has been quite damaging.   Poor Steve Morison was the butt of serious rumours, quite nasty and damaging.  Rumours occur most when people are already down.   Morison was already a scapegoat - if he had carried on scoring goals, the nasty rumours would have all but disappeared.   Same with Hughton.   Down and - to some people - discredited, so it will be easy for a bandwagon over rumourmongering to take hold, unless people take them with a pinch of salt.  Sad, but true.[/quote]

Rumours about Hughton? I didn''t hear any rumours?  [/quote]

Is that supposed to be funny?  

The rumour he was a 5hit manager transpired to be more than a rumour

Nope, deadly serious Lakey.

You cite damaging rumours about Morison , which I''m sure we all heard about in his private life , which I thought were damaging and pathetic.

But I haven''t heard any rumours about CH? Have there been any such rumours?

That rumour about Hughton having an affair with a bloke in the Lake District?

[quote user="dean"]That rumour about Hughton having an affair with a bloke in the Lake District?[/quote]

As a true follower of CH, LDC would have made 1 quick pass, withdrawn and settled for his drawers.

Or in the real world no journalist, especially from a broadsheet'' is going to risk making up something like that ............ for what ? What kind of credibilty will he have when next approaching a City player, club official or anyone else in the business.City players will know if their is any credence in what he wrote, as will those at Carrow Road. And would doubtlessly acted accordingly.It is common practice to attribute stories to an unanmed source, but not so common as to be so specific in the detail about that source. T would have involved a fair deal in the way of compliance with the source. Suggesting a great deal of understood veracity in the content.The simple fact is that comments like this have been surfacing for months and months. Stories that such and such is not playing because he has fallen out with Hughton have been common currency. Anyone listening to Radio Norfolk will have heard to not too subtle questions being asked - that was why so many times players have been wheeled out to deny such stuff.The paranoia that has been shown on this forum by one individual is more of a problem with his own mental make up than merely a pathological obssesion with Chris Hughton. The supposed need to ''put the other side'' has never been shown when criticism has been levelled at Delia, McNally, Fry or any players. It is not about balance, but a rather unhinged mono focus on one person.If I, or others, were to have posted up all rumours, gripes etc then there would have been far, far more. You don''t, as not only are they often of little worth but they would have distracted from the real problems. There is also the wider consideration ... that of the damage to the club. For my part the focus should now be on the next game. If some (one) cannot come to terms with what has happened and why then so be it. It is up to him he he wishes to spend his time rolling about biting the carpet in rage.They will be plenty of time for recrimination after the Arsenal game - until then it is case of looking forward and steeling ourselves to remain where genuine City supporters want us to be.

Brienne wrote:

Mmmmm, now why is it that under the previous regime all our strikers turned into *, now some would argue that it was because they were * when they came here, do they really still believe that?

Is it really really true that we didnt score goals because the players were not good enough?

----------------------------------------------------------------

I certainly do. If Grant would''ve stayed for another season we''d have several more points & be safe.

The second half of the season in particular, we''ve created plenty of chances that a half decent PL striker would have put away.

Ifs & buts. We''re still in with a shout; lets hope Neil can do the biz (or the players at any rate).

OTBC!

I dont buy that Ron, yes there have been chances but very few, confidence and self belief has been on the floor throughout a good part of the season, strikers have been pulled out of position, dropping deep to try and even get a touch on the ball. The lack of goals is beacuse of the way we have played and not the ability of the strikers. I am not saying they are 20 goals a season players but they are far better than the return they have.

[quote user="City1st"]Or in the real world no journalist, especially from a broadsheet'' is going to risk making up something like that ............ for what ? What kind of credibilty will he have when next approaching a City player, club official or anyone else in the business.  City players will know if their is any credence in what he wrote, as will those at Carrow Road. And would doubtlessly acted accordingly. It is common practice to attribute stories to an unanmed source, but not so common as to be so specific in the detail about that source. T would have involved a fair deal in the way of compliance with the source. Suggesting a great deal of understood veracity in the content. The simple fact is that comments like this have been surfacing for months and months. Stories that such and such is not playing because he has fallen out with Hughton have been common currency. Anyone listening to Radio Norfolk will have heard to not too subtle questions being asked - that was why so many times players have been wheeled out to deny such stuff. The paranoia that has been shown on this forum by one individual is more of a problem with his own mental make up than merely a pathological obssesion with Chris Hughton. The supposed need to ''put the other side'' has never been shown when criticism has been levelled at Delia, McNally, Fry or any players. It is not about balance, but a rather unhinged mono focus on one person. If I, or others, were to have posted up all rumours, gripes etc then there would have been far, far more. You don''t, as not only are they often of little worth but they would have distracted from the real problems. There is also the wider consideration ... that of the damage to the club.  For my part the focus should now be on the next game. If some (one) cannot come to terms with what has happened and why then so be it. It is up to him he he wishes to spend his time rolling about biting the carpet in rage. They will be plenty of time for recrimination after the Arsenal game - until then it is case of looking forward and steeling ourselves to remain where genuine City supporters want us to be.[/quote]

I get it City 1st.  Everyone was revolting behind the scenes, McNally and co were oblivious to it, kept Hughton on in blind ignorance, even though results were bad plenty early enough for warning signs to be there.  Two years of  Hughton - what was it you said on another thread  - oh yes - "bullying" of players.   Now you didn''t answer me on that one, but forgive me is that a fact or a "RUMOUR"??      I''d really think you should answer that because Graham Paddon''s Beard would like to know, as he hasn''t seen any rumours.   Could you clarify please??    In English?   

Disagree, Brienne, against West ham we had several excellent chances, of which I''m sure Holt (or similar) would have buried a couple. I''m certain WH would not have come back from that. There''s 3 points for a start.

Without watching all the matches replayed I can''t name others off the top of my head. I just remember holding my head in my hands half a dozen or more times at the gilt edge chances we passed up - this was particularly so in the last 10 or so games.

I am aware even top class strikers miss open goals, but not with the consistency RvW, Elmander & Hooper have done. I have seen nothing to persuade me that a different manager would have enabled them to take those chances. Sometimes it is just down to the players.

We''ll never know, & it''s time to move on. Doesn''t change the past though, or my opinion of events.

[quote user="dean"]The rumour he was a 5hit manager transpired to be more than a rumour[/quote]

I would say the toon army would beg to differ.

can u sit down please wrote the following post at 08/04/2014 8:38 PM:

Im going to say "i told you so" as i was constantly shouted down when i said such things, going back to last season.

It happened a lot, but at least you have the inner satisfaction of knowing you were right.

[quote user="Vanwalt"]can u sit down please wrote the following post at 08/04/2014 8:38 PM:

Im going to say "i told you so" as i was constantly shouted down when i said such things, going back to last season.

It happened a lot, but at least you have the inner satisfaction of knowing you were right.[/quote]

indeed van walt. Apparently making things up to suit my argument! Thank god hes gone. NIce man, poor manager.

Maybe it''s just because things didn''t work out here. Never heard Hughton say anything negative about some the shite fans, but then again he''s played and managed at least one more match in the prem than all of them so called ''fans'''' here. I guess he is shite.