Sign in to follow this  
langbankcanary

Neil Lennon

As a long time resident of Scotland and a Canary, I would like to say that Lennon coming to Carrow Road would be a retrograde step and would mark the beginning of a footballing Dark Ages for us. He will bring nothing but misery. Note to Board: Avoid at all costs.First game: March 23. 1974 . V Stoke City.

Interesting. Thanks for that but can you expand on your comments as I must admit I would be happy with his appointment notwithstanding that Adams, hopefully, will do a good job for the last 5 games.

Cheers

It''s interesting that the advocates of Lennon perceive him to be tough, no-nonsense managers in contrast to CH who was believed to be too nice.

Now that stories are appearing that suggest CH was in fact rigid etc it would seem Lennon or Mackay would be just the opposite of what is needed to reunite players and management.

Mm I think most would not be surprised to have it confirmed that Hughton was rigid!!

Flexible he most certainly wasn''t and not too great on management skills either I assume.

I agree with the OP on this for the following reasons.

1) a friend of mine a season ticket holder at Celtic and, despite the results in a very one sided league, he is firmly of the opinion that Lennon is not very good. He described him as only have one tactic - to shout, if that doesn''t work he just shouts louder. By all accounts this has not led to great performances from their players and has not led to development of those players.

2) He also says that Lennon struggles to change a game with his substitutions, he doesn''t make them at the right time and they have little impact (that sounds a bit familiar to me).

3) My impressions are that his playing style is not positive, it is negative. His teams, certainly when playing a better team (Champions league) is to sit deep, give the ball away until it comes in their half / final third and then try and hit on the break. Admittedly this has produced some good results but, as we saw with Hughton, unless it is going well and games are being won then this leads to unrest in the stands. Pressing all over the pitch at least leads to an impression of a lack of effort and leaves the players on their heels.

4) Having removed Hughton we now need to consider what style we want to play, let''s not just appoint the obvious candidates but genuinely consider what we want to achieve and what style of play we want.

For those reasons I think we need to look wider than Lennon, I fear it is just more of the same but with probably less tactical nous.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Mm I think most would not be surprised to have it confirmed that Hughton was rigid!! Flexible he most certainly wasn''t and not too great on management skills either I assume.[/quote]

No thanks. I''d rather have Nick Leeson. (Old Joke)

although there would be no reason as to why any premier league team would appoint lennon as manager, no one knows how he would really do.

Despite having next to no opposition since he joined, Lennon has had a poor return by Scottish Old Firm hegemony standards. Most Celtic fans I have spoken to are desperate to offload him in our, or anybody else''s direction. When his teams are placed under any pressure, they retreat into their shells and grind out results that do not reflect their obvious superior fire power. Ignore the occasional monstering of some very weak teams and Celtic are mundane and negative in the extreme. Celtic get up to four shots a season to pick up 3 points against weaker teams, they win titles in the same way a roller flattens tarmac, but in a less interesting manner. They get into Europe a lot, because of geography, and live on the rare lucky home night that any team would get if they played often enough. Bit like us in the Premier League. Take a peek at their European away results under Lennon. That is what we would get domestically. Hope he won''t come. Praying that we stay up and Adams gets a chance to inject pride and optimism back into the squad.

Mrs Miggins - that''s the case with anyone, especially abroad. Even managers who have done pretty well with teams in, say, Spain, have come over here recently and had mixed results - some done ok, others not so well.

For me, the problem with Lennon isn''t the lack of competition in Scotland. This season Bayern haven''t had much competition in the Bundesliga, but does that make Guardiola a bad manager? It''s the reports you get back about his general management style, tactics and Celtic''s performances.

Don''t want him anywhere near our club, don''t rate him, the Scottish league is a complete joke and he plays dire football.It really is time for a manager from abroad IMHO, but whenever I mention names like Lucien Favre or Francesco Guidolin I either get blank looks, completely ignored or told they''re unrealistic (as if managing a premier league club with our level of support is unattractive ffs)!

Shame but hey who knows.

The last miserable celt we had didn''t work out too badly. Would prefer Malky if the choice was between the two though.

Fancy a European coach with a reputation for flair and puching above his weight.

Would not want any manager from that club ever it would morally offend me. We are a decent club and we don''t want to be associated with that kind of thing. I am not accusing Lennon in anyway just the history of the club it stinks

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Would not want any manager from that club ever it would morally offend me. We are a decent club and we don''t want to be associated with that kind of thing. I am not accusing Lennon in anyway just the history of the club it stinks[/quote]

Eh??

Presumably someone will go and ask Gary Hooper- he will be best placed to judge.

With more furriners in our team an overseas manager shouldn''t be ruled out, but my favourite for a long time has been Mr Rosler but he''s been poached by Wigan. Still think a younger UK manager plus NA as AM and Micky Phelan as coach would be a good triumvirate, although I find it odd that Phelan hasn''t been jumped on already in view of his success with you-know-who.

Lennon would be a good manager. I suspect he has an uphill task ahead of him though with some fans. Weird opinions on here!

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]Lennon is not good enough for us. Might as well keep Adams on. Neither good options for a if we are PL[/quote]

Still bitter I see.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Would not want any manager from that club ever it would morally offend me. We are a decent club and we don''t want to be associated with that kind of thing. I am not accusing Lennon in anyway just the history of the club it stinks[/quote]

Or maybe

Isn''t the Messiah basically a Celtic man through-and-through?