Sign in to follow this  
Bill

A quiz for Nigel

in the meantimethere are more than a dozen clubs with birds as their nicknamecan you name them ?

Norwich - CanariesNotts County/Newcastle - MagpiesSwindon/Cheltenham/Bristol City - RobinsCardiff - BluebirdsBrighton - SeagullsSwansea - SwansCrystal Palace - EaglesTorquay - GullsI can think of 11 in the league, may have missed one or two.I''ll also throw in Ayslebury (Ducks).

I never knew they had a second nickname, just assumed they were like spurs and had the picture on their emblem but had an entirely different nickname.

Norwich - CanariesNotts County/Newcastle - MagpiesSwindon/Cheltenham/Bristol City - RobinsCardiff - BluebirdsBrighton - SeagullsSwansea - SwansCrystal Palace - EaglesTorquay - GullsWBA - ThrostlesSheff Wed - Owlstwo moreand ipswich town - the sh  itehawks doesn''t count

ps no looking up, it''s a test of your football knowledge, not google skills

[quote user="City1st"]If this picture posts then when, who, what etc

[/quote]It is us defending a corner at the River End against Man United, and that looks like Tony Powell as one of our players. If so it could well be the 2-0 win in Division Two in 1974-75, or one of the league encounters in Division One after that, up to and including the 1980-81 season. Although if that is Keelan in goal (it is hard to be sure) then more likely one of the earlier seasons. It could also be the League Cup semi-final against Man Utd but that looks like a daylight Saturday game to me.

I can''t see the picture, but it might be one I took of Steve Coppell taking a corner for the Mancs at the corner of the River End/City Stand.  If so it was in April 1979 and I am consulting my solicitor about breach of copyright!  Just joking, happy for anyone to use pics I take - Wiki uses a pic I took at the 2002 Play-off Final.  Pic can also be found on my Twitter account @BarclayBlofield

too clever by half Mr Uni - it is our feeder club the peacocksbut, well done and cheers for the picthough you may be getting your collar felt by Mr Juler (or jailer as it may be !)the old River End has changed a bit since then, and it didn''t have long to go at that pointas could be said about many of it''s number, if memory serves me well

ps thankfully it is no longer the repository of confused old dodderers