Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Forget the usual suspects

Instead of trolling out names like Lennon, Clarke, Mackay, Di Matteo, Warnock etc ad nauseum, how about we actually grow a pair and instead bring in a talented coach from the continent?I''d be the first to agree that my primary target of Lucien Favre is unlikely to want to leave BMG at present unless they fail to qualify for CL football and he genuinely wants a move to the premier league, but it''s still not outside the realms of possibility.The man however who IS an extremely viable option is Udinese manager Francesco Guidolin.He''s a manager I suggested before Hughton was appointed, last summer to replace Hughton and I''m still saying the same thing now. Udinese have struggled this season at times (mainly due to the Pozzo family selling every good player for a quick profit and making him rebuild the team every 3-4 months), and rumours suggest that he may be on the verge of getting the bullet - great news for us if this is true.He''s managed to get numerous sides to perform well above and beyond expectations, has a vast wealth of experience behind him, knows how to get the best out of the players available, and rumours even suggested there was contact made in Jan this year (even if they are somewhat unsubstantiated).He was previously contacted by QPR back in 2007 and he said then that he''d be very interested in a move to England but couldn''t agree personal terms with them, but surely now is the ideal time to get the wheels in motion?If he can get us playing anywhere near like he managed to get Udinese playing for the previous 2-3 seasons we''d be onto a complete winner, not to mention potentially even challenging for a European place in the process (how''s that for constant progression?).The future is NOT the same old names we all know (and usually don''t agree on), the future is bright, the future is Guidolin...

He can fight Marcelo Bielsa for the job.In all seriousness though, yeah, this is the type of appointment the board should be making. All depends on which league we are in though, I suppose.

I''m inclined to agree with you Indy.   If Hughton couldn''t do it for us, I rather expect none of the usual names trotted out would do it either.   No particular reasons, apart from they don''t inspire me.  Hoddle could be the one manager that could fit the bill in terms of taking us on a journey, but apart from that we might as well stick with Adams, or as you say go for a foreign manager. I won''t pretend to know about foreign managers because I don''t, but whoever we get has to be an improvement.  That is not going to be as easy as I think some would like, as if we stay in the premiership, we are always going to come up against a barrier of richer clubs that will be better than us.  

Each season is going to be a battle and there is no magic formula that will change that.   Hughton, I think had the right idea, but failed to get us scoring goals.  Even one or two more goals this season would have made a difference.      Hoddle would ensure he gets the best footballing skills out of our players - and we would all appreciate that - and I think his character is such that he would be sufficiently ''off the wall'' to be able to work in the unique club that is Norwich City.    It took a flamboyant, slightly off the wall character to kick start us after Ron Saunders - and John Bond set us off on an era that is now the stuff of legend.    We need someone inspiring.  

Hoddle, or a foreign coach, or Adams, but please not any of the ones that are trundled out.  We would probably end up going through them one by one, each time things getting worse - as they did after 95 and after Worthy.  We really don''t want that scenario again.  Hughton was supposed to have been a long term appointment to build something good   and get some stability and continuity going.  Whoever takes over long term, has to try and do the same. 

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I think people just realised norwich for what we are.[/quote]

?

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="mrs miggins"]I think people just realised norwich for what we are.[/quote]

?

[/quote]

?     ?

Interesting quote City 1st, but what is it doing here??

Well ''expletive'' me. I''m agreeing with ldc. Apart from the Adams bit, unless he wins 3 of 5 (unlikely I know)

One other key factor that has to be considered as well, is in regards to the reputation of a manager and how this can impact potential signings for the club.Some players will sign for a club based on the knowledge, experience and reputation of a good manager, and I personally think this is why Spurs are looking at replacing Sherwood with Van Gaal, and why keeping Adams beyond these last 5 games would be a HUGE gamble.

The problem has been that Hughton has been asking players to play a system that they are not 100% happy with. We are vulnerable when in possession in our final third and often lose the ball which puts threat on our goal. We do concede from these situations and our inability to pass the ball into the net at the other is why we have scored to few goals. In essence the players and team are not good enough to match Hughtons preferred playing style.

Football is a simple game, i hope Adams realises this and lets the players play to THEIR strengths in a frame work that is offensive and reduces mistakes in our final third.

H

*until the end of the season.

Says who? Knowbody has actually clarified whether Adams is caretaker or permanent.

As much as I like him he is not the answer.

Some people would literally have anyone with a fancy European name I think.

I''m getting behind Carlos Juan arriba arriba andale andale yehaw consuela Djibouti myself. Class manager on football manager 2008.

Adams can secure himself the role but will have to do something quite inspirational over the last 5 games of the season - and even then there is the risk of him doing a sherwood,   a honeymoon period and then it going flat.

The usual gamut of british managers are no better than hughton,  so we do need to think bigger,  bielsa has been my shout too,  and I would not mind Indys to suggestions,  but my growing preference is for the progressive & attack minded Thomas Tuchel from Mainz.   Unlike Bielsa his career is ahead of him and unliek adams he has experience of managing at the highest level and on a budget 

I agree on the foreign manager front. McNally has confirmed before that they had foreign managers on their shortlists hasn''t he?

I wonder if Delia would be brave enough to agree to it though. It doesn''t fit with the whole cosy family club does it.. and that''s precisely why it would be a good thing! We must be one of the very few clubs left who''ve been in the prem the last few seasons having never had a foreign manager.

The problem has been that Hughton has been asking players to play a system that they are not 100% happy with. We are vulnerable when in possession in our final third and often lose the ball which puts threat on our goal. We do concede from these situations and our inability to pass the ball into the net at the other is why we have scored to few goals. In essence the players and team are not good enough to match Hughtons preferred playing style.

Football is a simple game, i hope Adams realises this and lets the players play to THEIR strengths in a frame work that is offensive and reduces mistakes in our final third.

Absolutely spot on Mr.H.

[quote user="haisbrohacker"]The problem has been that Hughton has been asking players to play a system that they are not 100% happy with. We are vulnerable when in possession in our final third and often lose the ball which puts threat on our goal. We do concede from these situations and our inability to pass the ball into the net at the other is why we have scored to few goals. In essence the players and team are not good enough to match Hughtons preferred playing style.

H[/quote]

^^^ This This This.  Hughton''s success long term depended on him building a squad capable of playing in the way he wanted them to.   That may have required another year or even two - but depended on us improving along the way.  The stuttering form and lack of goals is obviously why he''s gone, but I still remain convinced that had he been a little more successful this season, he would have been able to build the squad sufficiently to play in that sophisticated style - with more goals and more success in the next year or so.   However, reality sets in and we need results now and you can only go so far with a project if its short term aims threaten the long term aims. 

Adams has to be seen as a short term fix, with perhaps him coming back at a later stage as a longer term manager, but if he does really well in the next few weeks, that could change.   Still Hoddle for me.

LDC

"Adams has to be seen as a short term fix, with perhaps him coming back at a later stage as a longer term manager, but if he does really well in the next few weeks, that could change."

Well now, that statement seems to cover all bases!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="haisbrohacker"]The problem has been that Hughton has been asking players to play a system that they are not 100% happy with. We are vulnerable when in possession in our final third and often lose the ball which puts threat on our goal. We do concede from these situations and our inability to pass the ball into the net at the other is why we have scored to few goals. In essence the players and team are not good enough to match Hughtons preferred playing style.

H[/quote]

^^^ This This This.  Hughton''s success long term depended on him building a squad capable of playing in the way he wanted them to.   That may have required another year or even two - but depended on us improving along the way.  The stuttering form and lack of goals is obviously why he''s gone, but I still remain convinced that had he been a little more successful this season, he would have been able to build the squad sufficiently to play in that sophisticated style - with more goals and more success in the next year or so.   However, reality sets in and we need results now and you can only go so far with a project if its short term aims threaten the long term aims. 

Adams has to be seen as a short term fix, with perhaps him coming back at a later stage as a longer term manager, but if he does really well in the next few weeks, that could change.   Still Hoddle for me.

[/quote]

It begs the question then, why did Hughton buy players like RVW and Hooper for this gameplan he wanted to play in the future that you talk of, now? If they weren''t the sort of players to fit into the gameplan he was playing *this* season? However good his plans were for the future, it looks like he couldn''t make the right decisions for the present. It''s like he jumped too far ahead of himself, when he should''ve tried to build the team more gradually and should''ve bought a different style of forward.

Makes me wonder what might''ve been if we''d signed Quag or Toivenen.

[quote user="MancCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="haisbrohacker"]The problem has been that Hughton has been asking players to play a system that they are not 100% happy with. We are vulnerable when in possession in our final third and often lose the ball which puts threat on our goal. We do concede from these situations and our inability to pass the ball into the net at the other is why we have scored to few goals. In essence the players and team are not good enough to match Hughtons preferred playing style.

H[/quote]

^^^ This This This.  Hughton''s success long term depended on him building a squad capable of playing in the way he wanted them to.   That may have required another year or even two - but depended on us improving along the way.  The stuttering form and lack of goals is obviously why he''s gone, but I still remain convinced that had he been a little more successful this season, he would have been able to build the squad sufficiently to play in that sophisticated style - with more goals and more success in the next year or so.   However, reality sets in and we need results now and you can only go so far with a project if its short term aims threaten the long term aims.  Adams has to be seen as a short term fix, with perhaps him coming back at a later stage as a longer term manager, but if he does really well in the next few weeks, that could change.   Still Hoddle for me.[/quote]

It begs the question then, why did Hughton buy players like RVW and Hooper for this gameplan he wanted to play in the future that you talk of, now? If they weren''t the sort of players to fit into the gameplan he was playing *this* season? However good his plans were for the future, it looks like he couldn''t make the right decisions for the present. It''s like he jumped too far ahead of himself, when he should''ve tried to build the team more gradually and should''ve bought a different style of forward.

Makes me wonder what might''ve been if we''d signed Quag or Toivenen.[/quote]

Its a good question.  He must have hoped that the wing players would be more effective than they have been,  to provide ammunition for the strikers.  Snodgrass can be as frustrating as anything,  Redmond inexperienced, Bennett injured, Pilkington rarely fully fit up for it - and there you have it, recipe for no goals.   Hoolahan limited and not always in the game, Johnson mispassing, Howson was injured for quite a while, as was Tettey, now Fer is injured.    Hughton had his limitations, which is obvious to everyone, but he was working within a budget too and plenty of injuries.  A Quag or a Toivenen type would have maybe been enough to add that extra bit of bite going forwards, but all the problems and limitations of the players we already have and their injuries, has made this a much tougher season than it might have been.  

It sounds as if I am making excuses - I am not - Hughton has his limitations - but overall I think he has been a bit unlucky with injuries over the season while trying to get his system to work.  I suspect the harder he has tried to get it to work, the harder it has become to make it work, with the players available.   The squad is in transition to that stage he wanted to get to - and we know it did work on occasions  -  and with a little bit of luck this season he might have got there next season.   But the pressure of this season and not succeeding in getting his system to work well enough, often enough, has led us to where we are now.  

If we can get this season successfully finished and on to another premiership season, we will need imo someone who can attract the kind of players we need to build from where we are.   Hoddle could be that man.

Buh wrote    Some people would literally have anyone with a fancy European name I thinkWell it worked with Van Wolfs Winkel!! who spends most of his time running away from the ball in the penalty area

Tiffey Boy that comment actually just suggests you spend most of the time you watch football with your eyes closes. Well done at managing to sound so utterly brain dead in just one sentence.

Anyway, I want Dennis Bergkamp. Him and a couple good coaches could be fantastic.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Tiffey Boy that comment actually just suggests you spend most of the time you watch football with your eyes closes. Well done at managing to sound so utterly brain dead in just one sentence.

Anyway, I want Dennis Bergkamp. Him and a couple good coaches could be fantastic.[/quote]

He''d only need one coach, the rest could go by plane......

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Tiffey Boy that comment actually just suggests you spend most of the time you watch football with your eyes closes. Well done at managing to sound so utterly brain dead in just one sentence.

Anyway, I want Dennis Bergkamp. Him and a couple good coaches could be fantastic.[/quote]Why? He has no track record in managing a first-team. That he was a decent player does not mean he would make a good manager. Generally it is the plodding players who do best. That you feel the need to boost him with good coaches suggests you don''t have that much faith in him per se but are just trusting in his playing reputation somehow being an asset.