Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Paul Nevin and the Norwich Way

Just read the profile on Mr Nevin on the official site (http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140409-paul-nevin-norwich-city-profile-1478759.aspx)

Have to say he seems like the ideal man to be overseeing our academy, having had a truly diverse footballing education in addition to being a social worker for children in some of London''s poorer boroughs. It will be interesting to see how he deals with the first team, which will undoubtedly differ from his experiences with the youth teams.

What interested me most about the profile was the brief comments about the "Norwich Way". I''ve been banging on about our club philosophy for a while now, and its heartening to know what the club is trying to do with our younger players. Nevin summarised the Norwich Way as follows:

"It’s about giving the opportunity to the technical players. Players who can play well under pressure and who will look to get on the ball, even in tight situations. That begins right from our foundation phase. That being said – we don’t want to maintain possession just for the sake of it. We want there to be a purpose to our play"

For me that is precisely how I want to see Norwich play at all levels of the club. Passing football, but with incisive attacking.

Haha cheers Hampstead! Frazer, I was afraid that might be the case, but I''m thankful it isn''t! Hopefully they also teach the youth teams something about pressing high up the pitch as a team- seems to be becoming an increasingly important tactic in the modern era, and one I''d like to see utilised more often by Norwich.

Anyway if this is the club''s philosophy at youth level, hopefully that will be borne in mind with the appointment of the next permanent manager.