Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Nearly another Hillsborough

Upcoming anniversary brought back similar events that City could have been involved. Does anybody else remember the away F.A. Cup game with West Ham. We all had to get through a ten foot entrance up some steps to get to the terrace, I think there was about 6000 of us there, it was an accident waiting to happen.

Yes I remember people getting squeezed and fainting. The struggle getting up to the stands.

At the time it added to the excitement, and I was ignorant of how serious it could have been.

I contributed to that problem. Bought a west ham ticket from a tout, asked at the Away turnstile if I could get in because I didn''t want to go in with the home fans. I was told that I was ok and to jump the turnstile.

I also remember several people struggling while we were at villa park for the other semi final.

I was there King with my dad and my girlfriend. The worst football crush I''ve ever been in. My girlfriend ended up facing away from the pitch and no way could she turn round. Never saw any of the game and just stood there for 90 minutes waiting for it to end. Very frightening.

If I remember it was nil nil to cap it all

I was at that game in the West Ham end, thankfully not so much of a problem there! I recall Lineghan nearly scoring, but it was a pretty poor game.

The worst crush I''ve been in was at Arsenal v Liverpool in that season, in a league cup replay at Highbury - there was 55k+ there and it was a real squeeze the whole game, I was stood behind a stanchion and spent a lot of thetime trying not to get crushed into it, was pretty bruised the next day.

The worst with Norwich was the Milk Cup s-f at Ippo - they were too stupid to have it all ticket so it was rather a melee, outside the ground was a pretty big crush. We had more away supporters than their ground could take and had to be given part of their crappy terrace down the side of the pitch.

I''m too young to remember standing properly - first game in 1990 - and other than a few away games during the League 1 season and the away game at Peterborough (great fun!) i''ve no experience of it.Strange question, and i know it''s only a film and thus not going to be true to life, but was standing back in those days anything like the scene from Fever Pitch?If not, can anyone recommend a more realistic display? It''s a subject that interests me.

Yes, felt like people could have died under the stand at half time. I remember being stuck in a corridor with people shoving from both ends. We were getting crushed, there was panic and getting harder to breathe, everyone shouting. Thank god a concerted effort by some big lads managed to free us. I will never forget it.

There were a few bad crushes at Hillsborough prior to the disaster and also at other grounds. The ones at Hillsborough include the 1987 FA Cup QF against Coventry, the 1987 Semi between Leeds and Coventry and even the 1988 Liverpool v Forest semi.The videos below include the 1981 Wolves v Tottenham FA Semi at Hillsborough and a league game at Middlesborough several months after the disaster. The West Ham one is at Upton Park.[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJ6Xe7_LOs]West Ham v Man U, 1975[/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzHVe2mEN0]Wolves v Tottenham, 1981[/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heOjm-0b_rI]Middlesborough v Leeds, 1989[/url]

From what I can remember, didn''t we have to squeeze through two airportesque metal detectors, which took an age to get through and caused the delays? Plenty of herding/bleating of lambs that day.

Can remember the West Ham one and, although it was packed, and extremely tight, never feeling in danger, which was possible complacency/naivety . Even though we''d had Ibrox, I guess it was the ''It''ll never happen to me'' attitude, I''m not sure.

Again, Villa Park on Semi-final day was bad, but it was ''normal'' for that era. Unfortunately, they would have taken ''normal'' at Hillsborough, that day, without a doubt.

I was at the West Ham Q final, and whilst it was grim I don''t think it got anywhere near dangerous. Couldn''t see half of the pitch as the nutters all climbed the dividing fences . I also remember my shoes getting wet with all of the liquid pouring down the terraces. I assume it was water..

I was at West ham and was really frightened on entering the ground. I guess it depended on what time you arrived. It was the little tunnel/ walkway thing that we were all hearded through. It was the worst I can remember and far worse imo that the Ipswich Semi-Final or the Villa Park one. I suppose that as with Hillsborough it was where when you entered but my mind went back to West Ham straight away. The way were treated in thise days - it was an accident waiting to happen.