Sign in to follow this  
he

Neil Adams style of football

Does anybody know what kind of football Neil Adams will try to develop? What kind of football philosphy can we expect from Adams? Defensive, attacking?

Impossible to tell really. He seems quite open and expansive with the youth team but I don''t know if he''ll translate that to the senior team.

I''ve watched a lot of the youth games, and i would say very much counter attacking, open play, with pace.

But obviously, look at the players he''s had in the Murphy''s, you''re almost forced into that style of play as it''s most hurtful coming at you after you''ve pushed forwards.

So you could say he''s played to the teams strength, what are our strengths? Right now i think he''ll be singling out Redmond as a player who can do damage, so will be looking at soaking up the pressure with some exciting break aways. Depends if you''re asking longterm or short-term.

Even at a young age, there''s some real leaders who developed under his control so i wouldn''t be surprised if he''ll be establishing a strong captain too, and move away from this split role currently. Many players say it doesn''t make a difference who the captain is, and that everyone should step up regardless- Sure i get that, but is having a split role really the sign of decisive leadership? Think he''d be nuts to tamper with that now, but it will be on his mind long-term.

I don''t know about everyone else, but i still feel a bit lost not having a talisman on that pitch. I wouldn''t be surprised if he put a huge amount of trust into Howson were his reign to continue into next season. I could see us having a leader in the middle under Adams.

From listening to his ideas from his commentary and watching the youth squad, it seems if he like the wingers to run at people and push from midfield. I can''t see us playing too many long balls. Lots of crossing hopefully.

Basically, its what every fan wants to see from their team; whether it happens is a different matter

Lets hope that any of the players Ego''s do not get in the way

Let Neil do the job his way I was very impressed as many of us were last season with the Youth cup side and with Neil being in the game for a number of years now I am sure he will get the players loose like they should have been before it got to this state

I think the players want Adams style as opposed to Hughton''s. The only ones that i''d worry about probably won''t play anyway.

I wonder which of the 4 donkeys will play up front?

[quote user="canarycol"]and with Neil being in the game for a number of years now I am sure he will get the players loose like they should have been before it got to this state[/quote]
How do you mean by ''loose'' mate, do you mean set them free to express themselves?

[quote user="Skijumptoes"][quote user="canarycol"]and with Neil being in the game for a number of years now I am sure he will get the players loose like they should have been before it got to this state[/quote]
How do you mean by ''loose'' mate, do you mean set them free to express themselves?
[/quote]

Yes I suppose I do as opposed to the way the stifling way of play that CH had instilled in them

It''s going to be fascinating to see what his first team is.

Certainly using the wings effectively and - hopefully - crossing from better positions. We''ve seen Spurs doing that with some success since Sherwood''s arrival. His first move was to get Adebayor back in the side and supply him with plenty of quality balls fired in from good positions. Hughton liked to use the wings too but far too slow and predictable in the build up and crossing from between halfway and the by line. Rather than crossing from deep inside the channels, on a level with the 6 yard box.

I would expect Adams to have little time for ''inverted wingers'' so we might well see Snodgrass on the left and Redmond right. I can see Ricky V (and Hooperman come to that) responding much better and more instinctively to crosses fired low and fast in to the six yard box. Let''s hope eh!

I am doubly tripley despserate for Adams to get a couple of results and impressive performances to stick it to the jug eared tool for slagging as on twatter.

Saturday is a must not lose rather than a must win match. The win woud be fantastic, but avoiding defeat is a huge bonus to start with.

I agree djc, far too many seem to think it is win or bust, but imo it certainly isn''t - a draw might well be a decent result. But we should hope we are going there for the win.

As to NA''s style of play, it is difficult to tell - I was under the impression that the u-21 and u-18 sides generally play to an agreed style, so that there is ''continuity'' from the top down throughout the club. That said, having been an attacking m/f you would think/hope he''d be rather better at focusing on attacking play. I guess we wait and see.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I agree djc, far too many seem to think it is win or bust, but imo it certainly isn''t - a draw might well be a decent result. But we should hope we are going there for the win.

As to NA''s style of play, it is difficult to tell - I was under the impression that the u-21 and u-18 sides generally play to an agreed style, so that there is ''continuity'' from the top down throughout the club. That said, having been an attacking m/f you would think/hope he''d be rather better at focusing on attacking play. I guess we wait and see.[/quote]

I think he will talk to the players and let them guide him as to what needs to be done in terms of formation, as they will have their own ideas how to improve things.  Then it is up to him to pick the team and offer encouragement and a positive approach.  If he makes too many changes, he risks upsetting any good things that were there before - and there were some good things about our better performances under Hughton.  For me the key is Pilkington - and if he is fit and motivated, he should be on the team sheet imo.   That would give Ollson some much needed support for his excellent work in recent matches and improve our left hand side.   I would like to see Redmond on the right, but it would be difficult to leave Snodgrass out.......

Whatever team he puts out it will be one that will be up for the challenge imo, but the style and tactics will still be dependent on how Fulham play to an extent - so we may well be defending quite a lot too and trying to hit on the break.  

[quote user="canarycol"][quote user="Skijumptoes"][quote user="canarycol"]and with Neil being in the game for a number of years now I am sure he will get the players loose like they should have been before it got to this state[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes I suppose I do as opposed to the way the stifling way of play that CH had instilled in them[/quote]Hopefully it will mean when our wingers get to the byline at least one other player will join the striker in the box meaning that they''re not being marked by 3 defenders giving them no chance of a shot and that the winger actually has a chance of putting a cross to a player in space.Our current system always restricted the team so that there would only be at best 2 players attacking the penalty area at any one time. Hence only 26 goals. Although perversely it also required everyone to be in the oppositions half for set pieces resulting in umpteen goals scored on the break.

LDC

"I think he will talk to the players and let them guide him as to what needs to be done in terms of formation, as they will have their own ideas how to improve things."

He will most definitely do that, he has not got enough time to try and impose a system that the players will not be comfortable with. The player input into this weeks preparations will be as important as Adams''.

[quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"]Adams never used to take the ball to the byline, he always crossed too early.[/quote]Because he had very little pace, but a sweet right foot.

Adams certainly used to preach the benefits of taking the ball to the line before crossing. Snodgrass is a cert and probably Pilkington - with Redmond featuring when legs are tiring. He also stressed the need for "quality into the box" for the likes of Iwan Roberts and Hooper is surely no different. (David Fox anyone?)

Probably more significant will be his choice of captain.If it''s not Bassong, I can only see Howson in that role.

[quote user="Binky"]Adams certainly used to preach the benefits of taking the ball to the line before crossing. Snodgrass is a cert and probably Pilkington - with Redmond featuring when legs are tiring. He also stressed the need for "quality into the box" for the likes of Iwan Roberts and Hooper is surely no different. (David Fox anyone?) Probably more significant will be his choice of captain.If it''s not Bassong, I can only see Howson in that role.[/quote]

Bradders would be my choice Binky.

>Vanwalt/LDC

Whether or not he lets the players guide his decisions, I am sure he will realise there is no time to bring in a completely new system of his own. As well as conuslting players, surely it will be a case of looking back at how we''ve got our best results this season, what happened when we failed to perform at our best (er, in order to avoid those mistakes), take into account the opposition, a few of his own ideas to flavour, and tweak accordingly.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Binky"]Adams certainly used to preach the benefits of taking the ball to the line before crossing. Snodgrass is a cert and probably Pilkington - with Redmond featuring when legs are tiring. He also stressed the need for "quality into the box" for the likes of Iwan Roberts and Hooper is surely no different. (David Fox anyone?) Probably more significant will be his choice of captain.If it''s not Bassong, I can only see Howson in that role.[/quote]

Bradders would be my choice Binky.

[/quote]

Hmm maybe.Funny how you form an impression of someone''s character from watching from the stands - quite unjustifiably. I see BJ as a determined character but a bit of a maverick and a bit of loner doing his own thing - not really captain material. That said I watched him, Elmander and Tettey at the open day giving their all for the kids (I know, "and so they might") - he came across as a very considerate bloke.

''Adams never used to take the ball to the byline, he always crossed too early.''....just like those rubbish man u wingers, Sharp and Kanchelskis

Having watched the youth team a few times, I would say we will play 4-5-1on Saturday, get behind the ball and then play on the break. For this reason I think Pilkington / Redmond will be the 2 wide player breaking forward (carrying the ball) to support probably Hooper.

I think he will go with Tettey & Bradley Johnson & Howson. That would be pretty tough on Snodgrass and risky too since he represents much of our firepower this season.

Fitness will of players will have as much influence on selection as anything though :-)

The game is a must win for Fulham, a draw would probably do for us.