Sign in to follow this  
SYG

This all has a Gunn feel about it...

The appointment of a club legend, a feel good factor for the first few days and the feeling it''s all going to be turned around

Yet the reality of it all is, it''s just the wrong appointment and yet again could damage the relationship of a true club great

Here''s hoping I''m wrong

[quote user="SYG"]The appointment of a club legend, a feel good factor for the first few days and the feeling it''s all going to be turned around

Yet the reality of it all is, it''s just the wrong appointment and yet again could damage the relationship of a true club great

Here''s hoping I''m wrong[/quote]

It feels more like Stringer to me, than Gunn, and look how that turned out.............

[quote user="SYG"]The appointment of a club legend, a feel good factor for the first few days and the feeling it''s all going to be turned around

Here''s hoping I''m wrong[/quote]
Hope it does.  Gunn won his first match.

Well if we win our 1st game under him by 5-1, I''ll be happy with that.

[quote user="SYG"]I''m sure you thought that when we appointed Gunn[/quote]

No. Gunn, was the great white hope.  You hoped it would somehow work with him in charge and his experienced side-kicks.  Adams gives me more confidence, more like with Stringer, who at least had plenty of coaching the youth team, much like Adams.    Stringer''s appointment was inspired.   Gunn''s was more in hope than anything else.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Had Gunn won a big trophy with a youth team that he''d coached for years?[/quote]

No, but how many phones has Neil Adams sold?

YellowNets1901 wrote the following post at 09/04/2014 5:30 PM:

Had Gunn won a big trophy with a youth team that he''d coached for years?

-------------------------------------

How could anyone forget?

From the very fist announcement that Gunn was appointed i felt dread. So for me, very much not the same feeling as Gunn.

Likewise i''m not expecting miracles from Adams, but tell you something, i''m looking forward to Fulham more than any City match that i have for a loooong while.

He will be an improvement on Hughton, no mistake.

SYG wrote the following post at 09/04/2014 5:05 PM:

The appointment of a club legend, a feel good factor for the first few days and the feeling it''s all going to be turned around

Here''s hoping I''m wrong

They both bleed yellow and green, and that''s the only similarity between the two.

Completely different characters, levels of ability and knowledge of the game.

I hope people are right with their thoughts about Adams, but as he has to use exactly the same squad as Hughton, it will be particularly hard to eradicate the mistakes at the back - especially away, whilst scoring at the other end. He does almost have to learn to run before he can walk, but I hope he succeeds.

My biggest query over sacking CH when we did was that we had several games coming up against ''big'' sides and one thing he did seem to get right far more often than not was the tactics for those bigger matches at home. NA is very much an unknown quantity, but this may help us.

This will be nothing like ''Oddjobs'' tenue.

I wont go into all the differences between the Gunn and Adams situations, but there are many and big ones.

Principally is that Adams has been coaching for a number of years, and I believe has a coaching qualification, doing wonders last year with the U18s, and before that was regarded as a keen judge of football.

As I recall, wasn''t Gunn early in the season, when there was time to gain experience, whereas we need and experienced man manager as we have only 5 games. I don''t recall holding my breath as I am now doing.

Gunn had 19 games. That''s a lot more than Adams. If Adams wins his first game, Fulham will need 9 points from 4 games to overtake us - that''s title winning form

Principally is that Adams has been coaching for a number of years, and I believe has a coaching qualification, doing wonders last year with the U18s, and before that was regarded as a keen judge of football.

He has Uefa a badge

I agree with the OP, that''s the assumption that we could have appointed Marigold from that roundabout to replace Houghton and the reaction would have been the same.  That''s only a good decision if you replace what was there with something better.  Have we done that? We can''t honestly say now, can we? I watched that FA Cup final and I saw a team sit back and defend for two whole matches and hit on the break, we can''t be doing that against this remaining set of opponents or we''ll get ripped a new one.  Not knocking what that Adams did achieve with them kids, that''s great, but the step up is greater I reckon.

Now then Bor, you dont seem to be a fan of the old counter attack, what would your tactics be when we play our last 4 games?

[quote user="Brienne"]Now then Bor, you dont seem to be a fan of the old counter attack, what would your tactics be when we play our last 4 games?[/quote]I''m a fan of the old counter attack when you have pace, and I''m not counting Redmond who makes Croft look like Beckham.My tactics:a) Get into the f*ckersb) F*cking hurt them early onc) F*ck the f*cking ball, kick the c*nts in the f*cking aird) Hit it long where possiblee) Don''t f*cking fanny about, GET IT FORWARDf) Stick it up ''emg) Kiss the f*cking badge when you score

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Brienne"]Now then Bor, you dont seem to be a fan of the old counter attack, what would your tactics be when we play our last 4 games?[/quote]I''m a fan of the old counter attack when you have pace, and I''m not counting Redmond who makes Croft look like Beckham.My tactics:a) Get into the f*ckersb) F*cking hurt them early onc) F*ck the f*cking ball, kick the c*nts in the f*cking aird) Hit it long where possiblee) Don''t f*cking fanny about, GET IT FORWARDf) Stick it up ''emg) Kiss the f*cking badge when you score

[/quote]Reckon I should point out I have coached teams before and know what I''m f*cking talking about.

Lots of talk about win makes us safe, lose and we go down.

What about the draw? Hand on heart, offered it now, would you take it???

For me, yes.

Hmm, i''d take a draw as long as it was accompanied by losses for Sunderland and Cardiff.

I still feel we''d need another point though.

Doesn''t feel quite the same to me.

I said at the time I wasn''t really a fan of the Gunn appointment and felt Roeder would have been more likely to keep us up (even though he wasn''t a particularly likeable guy).

My gut feeling is that Adams has got a bit more nous than Gunn had.

Having said that, we''ve got to expect a tough game on Saturday and given the way the last few weeks have gone it''s a huge ask for any manager coming in now - experienced or not. What became clear against WBA is that we desperately need a shot in the arm and there was just no indication that Hughton would be able to give us that.

Nothing like Gunn.

Gunn hadn''t just defied the odds to win the Youth FA Cup. Had Gunn even been a proper coach? Obviously he had all his badges, but what exactly was he doing at the club before hand? I personally don''t remember being too happy with Gunn, other than that he won his first game 4-1, might have even been the one Jamie lad scored a hattrick in?