Sign in to follow this  
Happy Clapper

Dead Cat Bounce

A phrase used on this board quite a lot recently. It''s normally associated with financial markets but for us it means an improved player performance due the appointment of a new manager.

It does happen in football, my question is when does it happen? I suspect it is more likely if a manager who has completely "lost the dressing room" is replaced by a new one. Had Chris Nughton lost the dressing room and can we expect a dead cat bounce?

Cardiff got a bounce when they played us and it was certainly the boardroom that their previous manager had lost, not the dressing room! 

Can we arrange to play ourselves?

If you believe the statisticians there is no such thing. On average teams on a bad run tend to improve whether or not they sack their manager. This is known as reversion to the mean, ie after a set of worse than average results, it is likely results will improve to above average.

But that''s just an average and I''m not convinced. I think under Hughton we had reached a stage where the players had no belief when playin away from home. So I am expecting an improved performance on Saturday

In my experience, working on the refit of Normandie Tower, dead cats don''t bounce, but they do explode.Let''s hope that in''t the case on Saturday.

It''s Character Forming wrote the following post at 10/04/2014 6:35 PM:

If you believe the statisticians there is no such thing. On average teams on a bad run tend to improve whether or not they sack their manager. This is known as reversion to the mean, ie after a set of worse than average results, it is likely results will improve to above average.

But that''s just an average and I''m not convinced. I think under Hughton we had reached a stage where the players had no belief when playin away from home. So I am expecting an improved performance on Saturday

The test of the new confidence will come if we concede first, normally when that happens its game over..

It''s interesting that Hughton stated he believed we would stay up and that the players shared that belief:

"Collectively we were ready for the challenge that the final five games presented and we believed we would reward the club and the supporters by achieving that objective," he said.