Sign in to follow this  
Molly Windley

What has gone wrong with our set pieces?

What has gone wrong with our set pieces?I was ploughing through some stats on our miss firing strikers, as you do on a quiet morning to try and make sense of why we were not scoring. Low conversion rates and very low percentage  of offsides per game was pointing toward a lack of movement however thats for another day.Whilst doing so I came across the stats for set piece goals and they make interesting reading.2011/12 - 16 set piece goals from a total of 52 (30%) which was the fourth highest in the league2012/13 - 17 set piece goals from a total of 41 (41%) which was the second highest in the league2013/14 - 4  set piece goals from a total of 22 (18%) which is the worst in the leagueWhilst we all like flowing football these stats do not lie in telling just how important set piece goals are in any league. Whilst some would have been direct shots most will be headers or second ball shots and scrambles. Either we have collectively as a team become poor headers of a ball, stopped working on set pieces, all the other teams defenses have improved leaps and bounds or the delivery this year has been awful. If there was one thing to work on this week with the players this would be it.What are they doin` in traynun Neeyul?

Snodgrass can''t put in a cross without waving his arm in the air and hitting the first man.

His delivery is poxy, and that is the ONLY reason.

[quote user="Paul"]Snodgrass can''t put in a cross without waving his arm in the air and hitting the first man. His delivery is poxy, and that is the ONLY reason.[/quote]

He has become more and more like Mr.Toad from Wind in the Willows.

Free kick by Snodgrass, corner by Snodgrass, penalty by Snodgrass, etc etc

Adams needs to do a  "Badger" on him, sit him down and give him a severe talking to!

Then perhaps Mole and Ratty might score.

To be fair to Snoddy, he does appear to have 2 signals. From watching this season the seem to be: 1 arm in the air = I''m going to drill it chest high into the defender at the near post.2 arms in the air = I''m going to hammer it over everyone''s head and put it into touch for a throw in.The regularity that he has been succeeding with in doing this should be applauded. Now if he would only try and put a couple of balls into the six yard box from corners with the same accuracy we could be in business from set pieces again. [:D]

[quote user="Molly Windley"]What has gone wrong with our set pieces?I was ploughing through some stats on our miss firing strikers, as you do on a quiet morning to try and make sense of why we were not scoring. Low conversion rates and very low percentage  of offsides per game was pointing toward a lack of movement however thats for another day.Whilst doing so I came across the stats for set piece goals and they make interesting reading.2011/12 - 16 set piece goals from a total of 52 (30%) which was the fourth highest in the league2012/13 - 17 set piece goals from a total of 41 (41%) which was the second highest in the league2013/14 - 4  set piece goals from a total of 22 (18%) which is the worst in the leagueWhilst we all like flowing football these stats do not lie in telling just how important set piece goals are in any league. Whilst some would have been direct shots most will be headers or second ball shots and scrambles. Either we have collectively as a team become poor headers of a ball, stopped working on set pieces, all the other teams defenses have improved leaps and bounds or the delivery this year has been awful. If there was one thing to work on this week with the players this would be it.What are they doin` in traynun Neeyul?[/quote]2011/12 season we had Grant Holt up top. The man who single-handedly won most of those free kicks and was a massive nuisance in the box. We don''t have that anymore..

[quote user="You absolute beauty"][quote user="Molly Windley"]What has gone wrong with our set pieces?I was ploughing through some stats on our miss firing strikers, as you do on a quiet morning to try and make sense of why we were not scoring. Low conversion rates and very low percentage  of offsides per game was pointing toward a lack of movement however thats for another day.Whilst doing so I came across the stats for set piece goals and they make interesting reading.2011/12 - 16 set piece goals from a total of 52 (30%) which was the fourth highest in the league2012/13 - 17 set piece goals from a total of 41 (41%) which was the second highest in the league2013/14 - 4  set piece goals from a total of 22 (18%) which is the worst in the leagueWhilst we all like flowing football these stats do not lie in telling just how important set piece goals are in any league. Whilst some would have been direct shots most will be headers or second ball shots and scrambles. Either we have collectively as a team become poor headers of a ball, stopped working on set pieces, all the other teams defenses have improved leaps and bounds or the delivery this year has been awful. If there was one thing to work on this week with the players this would be it.What are they doin` in traynun Neeyul?[/quote]2011/12 season we had Grant Holt up top. The man who single-handedly won most of those free kicks and was a massive nuisance in the box. We don''t have that anymore..[/quote]

I think you are right.  Holt was a massive nuisance and gave defenders a difficult time in both those first two seasons.  Underated still even by some Norwich supoporters, he wasn''t a classic striker but he was effective - and a presence both on and off the pitch.

Holt''s value to the team in the last 2 seasons has been grossly underestimated. The stats on set pieces perfectly illustrates this.

Well we had Morison in our first season, say what you like about him but he was decent in the air especially on set pieces. I think he would have been a much better player had he and Lambert had carried on working together. I would take him over Elmander anyday. He might not of chased down every lost cause but at least he could hold a ball up and win headers. Thats why under Lambert if he went 1 up top it was him he went with over Holt. Goes to show you how different player react to different managers and style of play.

I don''t have a problem with Snodgrass taking some set pieces but I don''t understand why he has to take pretty much every single one when his delivery often doesn''t find the mark - or close to it.

It also slows us down as we  have to wait for him to trot across the pitch to take whatever it is - and then he has to trek back across the pitch afterwards.

Apart from the penalty with RVW there was also an incident over pre-season when both Snodgrass and Pilks stood over a freekick. It looked like it was Pilks'' turn to take it after Snod had messed up the previous one but Snod hit, made a mess of it again and Pilks was fuming afterwards.

Now that''s not to say Snod messes up all the time because we all know he''s decent on a freekick for a direct effort on goal but he''s not the only one in the team who can put a ball in the box and it''d be nice if we had a little more variety. That was a feature of us under Hughton - very little very variety to anything we did.

And as others have mentioned, not having the presence of Holt or even Morison has been costly.

Same as a lot of our play this season, we''re content with ''ball in the box'' and ''head on the ball''.

At this level you need a mix of directed, quality crosses that cause problems and players that can attack the ball in front of goal; we tend to do neither.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Holt very much facilitated the latter which meant the often-tepid Snodgrass corners and free kicks didn''t matter so much. Also not helping is the complete recession of Bassong as an attacking threat.

We have missed Turner this season too. He is the man I most want a corner cross to go to.If you could pick a dead ball taker other than Snodgrass, who would it be? Howson?

There''s not a lot of candidates for the dead balls. I would allow Snoddy all the direct free kicks, as he''s got a good success rate there. I would probably give the corners and dead ball deliveries to olsson myself. Seems to have a good cross on him.

For a bunch of Premier League players on £40k pw it''s a bit worrying if Snodgrass is seen as the only one who can take a corner or freekick.

Love it when the snake pit fans put one arm in the air as Snoddy takes his corners.

Does that happen with the old boys in the community stand?

Last season we scored 22 goals from open play, this season so far we have scored 20. Last season we scored 17 set piece goals, this season so far we have scored 4So despite talk of formations, tactics, plans A or B, off form strikers, injuries, who should play and who shouldnt etc etc its out inability to score from corners and free kicks this season that has put us down at the bottom.

when he manages to beats the first defender snodgrass normally sticks corners high and long, curling away from goal, from the left hand side anywaythe ones from the other side normally curl in towards goal and straight into the keepers handssimple solution, dont let him take cornersat least not from the right hand sidebetter still, drop him and play redmond on the right wing, we wont need to worry about scoring from corners as our strikers will feed off crosses after redmond skins the full back and uses his right foot to cross from the right wing, like what most right footed quick wingers are supposed to do

[quote user="The Frisbee Hyena"]To be fair to Snoddy, he does appear to have 2 signals. From watching this season the seem to be: 1 arm in the air = I''m going to drill it chest high into the defender at the near post.2 arms in the air = I''m going to hammer it over everyone''s head and put it into touch for a throw in.The regularity that he has been succeeding with in doing this should be applauded. Now if he would only try and put a couple of balls into the six yard box from corners with the same accuracy we could be in business from set pieces again. [:D]

[/quote]Post of the season.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="You absolute beauty"][quote user="Molly Windley"]What has gone wrong with our set pieces?I was ploughing through some stats on our miss firing strikers, as you do on a quiet morning to try and make sense of why we were not scoring. Low conversion rates and very low percentage  of offsides per game was pointing toward a lack of movement however thats for another day.Whilst doing so I came across the stats for set piece goals and they make interesting reading.2011/12 - 16 set piece goals from a total of 52 (30%) which was the fourth highest in the league2012/13 - 17 set piece goals from a total of 41 (41%) which was the second highest in the league2013/14 - 4  set piece goals from a total of 22 (18%) which is the worst in the leagueWhilst we all like flowing football these stats do not lie in telling just how important set piece goals are in any league. Whilst some would have been direct shots most will be headers or second ball shots and scrambles. Either we have collectively as a team become poor headers of a ball, stopped working on set pieces, all the other teams defenses have improved leaps and bounds or the delivery this year has been awful. If there was one thing to work on this week with the players this would be it.What are they doin` in traynun Neeyul?[/quote]2011/12 season we had Grant Holt up top. The man who single-handedly won most of those free kicks and was a massive nuisance in the box. We don''t have that anymore..[/quote]

I think you are right.  Holt was a massive nuisance and gave defenders a difficult time in both those first two seasons.  Underated still even by some Norwich supoporters, he wasn''t a classic striker but he was effective - and a presence both on and off the pitch.

[/quote]True, very rarely do I watch a home game where Bassong, Fer et al do not get a good headed opportunity on goal from a free-kick only to send it ballooning disappointingly over the bar. It''s always best to remember that the first time Snoddy was unavailable this year was at the Etihad and we got thumped 7-0, so it''s probably not as much his fault as everyone likes to imagine.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]It''s always best to remember that the first time Snoddy was unavailable this year was at the Etihad and we got thumped 7-0, so it''s probably not as much his fault as everyone likes to imagine.
[/quote]

Conversely Snoddy was not in the side that played so well against Citeh.   He is a key member of the side,  but not a must start every game.

If we could just remove our over reliance on Snoddy taking every set piece and always aiming to attack dow n the right and add some variety I am sure we would score much more.