Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Can see the difference already....

“He is a fantastic player and if he is on the pitch and gets enough of the ball then on his day he can win you a game" - Adams on Hoolahan

“In terms of changing the line-up it is up to the players to force their way in" - Adams on squad players

"He’s an excellent player and the more players we’ve got fit the better.” - Adams on Fer

“I have spoken to him and he is a fantastic young man who desperately wants to play football. That is exactly the type of attitude we want" - Adams on E Bennett

Shades of Lambert.

[quote user="splutcho"]All irrelevant. We haven''t played yet. Let''s not get carried away.[/quote]
This is a good point, we haven''t kicked a ball yet and look at the positivity infecting everywhere.

People seem desperate to get the Lambert days back.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.Adams is his own man and will hopefully improve things, but I wish people would stop comparing things to Lambert all the time - it only creates false expectations.

LDC you are very odd.

You don''t want anyone being negative, but now you don''t want people being too positive?

Stop trying to change human nature.

He''s just reporting on the different language for goodness sake!! It is a different approach, no more "These can hurt you, they are very good, they have some excellent players, we have to be on our guard" etc.

Definitely feels more positive, but then it would, because everyone''s shut up about Hughton (or most of us have). In reality, we could go and put in the worst performance of the season and lose 5-0 on Saturday, we just don''t know, so let''s not count those chickens.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]LDC you are very odd.

You don''t want anyone being negative, but now you don''t want people being too positive?

Stop trying to change human nature.[/quote]

I said nothing about the Adams statements. I like them.  I just commented on the Lambert reference.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]LDC you are very odd. You don''t want anyone being negative, but now you don''t want people being too positive? Stop trying to change human nature.[/quote]

Sorry GP but I can see Lakey''s point here.............and I''m very pro Adams.

Agree with LDC, Hughton suffered from that comparison like a mill stone round his neck for the whole of his tenure, we don''t want it all to start again with Adams.

I do like what I''m hearing from Adams, the article on the Pink''un today hints that we will be looking to move the ball forward faster. All too often our build up play has been slow and predictable - I think we''ll see a change to that in the forthcoming games.

People being infected with positivity can only be a good thing.

Bring on Fulham.

Do you lot fight all the time in real life?

Does this positivity guarantee success, of course not, does it guarantee it is more likely, absolutely.

So keep it up Neil, paticarly telling the lads what you want them to do as opposed to what you don''t want them to do. Let''s talk about us, let''s tell them what we are good at, let them talk about them, or better still talk about us. As I said, guarantees bu99er all, but don''t arf make it more likely.

The point was that I shouldn''t say the word Lambert, even though the thread was clearly about Adams? Odd.

Oh, and...

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

Lambert

[quote user="lake district canary"]People seem desperate to get the Lambert days back.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.Adams is his own man and will hopefully improve things, but I wish people would stop comparing things to Lambert all the time - it only creates false expectations.

[/quote]

Don''t be so sensitive LDC. We''re allowed to point out the positive links with a previous very successful manager, it''s natural to compare things. I don''t think anyone thinks they can bring Lambert back, but he is kind of the benchmark for our modern day managers, and he was a great man-manager, so why wouldn''t we like to see similar traits in NA?

I agree it is very early days and come saturday night we could all be in a very dark place, BUT there does seem to be a more positive feel, such a great shame we only have 5 games left but here you go enough said on that one. It is still in our hands and other teams still have to catch us and i would not swap places with the bottom 3 as of today anyway

It might me a compliment to Adams to compare him with Lambert after we have thrashed Fulham with a display of exciting attacking football, it''s maybe less helpful before we have kicked a ball in anger with him in charge.

I''m loving all Lowestoft Dave''s (Wiz) pro Adams comments because you can guarantee after a few games he will flip flop in the completely opposite direction.

Good luck to Adams tomorrow, , you''regonna need a lot of luck toget this squad going.

[quote user="MancCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]People seem desperate to get the Lambert days back.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  Adams is his own man and will hopefully improve things, but I wish people would stop comparing things to Lambert all the time - it only creates false expectations.

[/quote]

Don''t be so sensitive LDC. We''re allowed to point out the positive links with a previous very successful manager, it''s natural to compare things. I don''t think anyone thinks they can bring Lambert back, but he is kind of the benchmark for our modern day managers, and he was a great man-manager, so why wouldn''t we like to see similar traits in NA?[/quote]

I agree.  Its just my memory goes back to when Hughton first arrived and it was plain he wasn''t going to get any recognition - simply because he wasn''t Lambert - and people openly said so.   I got thoroughly fed up with people not able to move on - and for the record - yes I do think that the fans'' attitude to Hughton  affected the atmosphere around the club and on the pitch, from the word go.   Following a legend is difficult - Moyes has had the same problem at Utd.    If people want to say things are positive - great - but if they want to start comparing him to Lambert - that is not going to help anyone, imo.   His achievement was so great in the scheme of things that no-one is ever likely to match them - but lets not forget, he only had one season with us at the top level - and good though it was, the writing was on the wall by the end of that season that we may have struggled the following season.   Compare, by all means, but don''t make the mistake of thinking we are going back to some golden era. That time has gone.  We are starting a new, hopefully positive era, with a new direction.  Adams is making the right of soundbite - lets hope that transfers itself on to the pitch on Saturday.

[quote user="InchY_barn door_wolfswinkel"]I''m loving all Lowestoft Dave''s (Wiz) pro Adams comments because you can guarantee after a few games he will flip flop in the completely opposite direction. Good luck to Adams tomorrow, , you''regonna need a lot of luck toget this squad going.[/quote]

Hmm..........lets wait and see before giving it large Inchy lad............and if I don''t will you apologise.. of course you won''t..........your kind never do![:|]

We all know it wont come to that Dave.♥♥

Lakey....

Hughton was compared with Lambert and didn''t measure up.

Adams will be compared with Hughton.

I saw an interview with Alex Ferguson just before he retired and the interviewer said "no manager in the world will want to be the man who replaces Fergie, they will want to be the man who replaces the man that replaced Fergie".

Adams is the man who replaces the man that replaced Lambert.

I think you are being a bit facetious though, it is obvious that I am making clear reference to Hughton''s negative communication which focused on the strengths of other teams and seldom praised individuals.

I can both compare Hughton to Lambert in that respect, I can compare Adams with Hughton, and I can also point out that so far Adams seems to signal a return to the way that Lambert used to motivate players.

We all know that it isn''t a change welcomed by you, but it is a very welcome change with me.

[quote user="InchY_barn door_wolfswinkel"]We all know it wont come to that Dave.♥♥[/quote]

Its not Dave btw.[:|]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="MancCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]People seem desperate to get the Lambert days back.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  Adams is his own man and will hopefully improve things, but I wish people would stop comparing things to Lambert all the time - it only creates false expectations.

[/quote]

Don''t be so sensitive LDC. We''re allowed to point out the positive links with a previous very successful manager, it''s natural to compare things. I don''t think anyone thinks they can bring Lambert back, but he is kind of the benchmark for our modern day managers, and he was a great man-manager, so why wouldn''t we like to see similar traits in NA?[/quote]

I agree.  Its just my memory goes back to when Hughton first arrived and it was plain he wasn''t going to get any recognition - simply because he wasn''t Lambert - and people openly said so.   I got thoroughly fed up with people not able to move on - and for the record - yes I do think that the fans'' attitude to Hughton  affected the atmosphere around the club and on the pitch, from the word go.   Following a legend is difficult - Moyes has had the same problem at Utd.    If people want to say things are positive - great - but if they want to start comparing him to Lambert - that is not going to help anyone, imo.   His achievement was so great in the scheme of things that no-one is ever likely to match them - but lets not forget, he only had one season with us at the top level - and good though it was, the writing was on the wall by the end of that season that we may have struggled the following season.   Compare, by all means, but don''t make the mistake of thinking we are going back to some golden era. That time has gone.  We are starting a new, hopefully positive era, with a new direction.  Adams is making the right of soundbite - lets hope that transfers itself on to the pitch on Saturday.

[/quote]

And I think that''s all people were saying really - all we''ve got to go on so far is a few soundbites, but they''re good soundbites at least :)

However, I think you may attribute too much of Hughton''s failure to him simply not being Lambert. If the same footballing philosophies had continued (playing with no fear, playing on the front foot, etc etc) then I don''t think fans would have found it as hard to adjust to Hughton. But it was a real sea change - a totally different method and approach in every way, and then when the results didn''t come either at the start, it made it harder to warm to him.

I think there would''ve been more patience if his management and the style of his team''s play was similar to Lamberts, and even if the results were poor fans would''ve given him more time.

To be very clear - I''m not saying Hughton should''ve been more like Lambert - he''s his own man and I''m sure he''ll find the right club again and be a success with them.

What I''m saying is perhaps a continuation of playing style may have made the transition smoother. Take Swansea for example, the board are clear exactly how they want their teams to play since Martinez was manager, and they appoint managers to continue this. I feel it''s a better approach than ripping up everything and starting again each time we appoint a new manager.

Right from the off Adams has taken the pressure off the players by saying Fulham isn''t a must-win game, but at the same time saying that we can win against our last four opponents.This was exactly the right way to frame things in order to dampen down the fear. I think some managers would have emphasised the benefits of winning tomorrow and avoided talking about the final four games.

Absolutely right of the OP to point out the difference in language. Who cares if it''s more like Lambert than Hughton - that''s just an opinion. The facts are, this is a coach with a very different philosophy to the last one, and, let''s be honest, a more exciting one. For me, the key line is this one:

"What I like is players who can receive the ball into feet and they are looking to play it forward, to get in and hurt the opposition."

Yes, Lambert also was most interested in hurting the opposition, in being a threat, whereas Hughton''s priority was being solid, hard to beat, not conceding first, attacking second. It looks like Adam''s is closer to Lambert in this respect and we all know that we associate Lambert with a golden era in the club so inevitably people are going to feel more positive towards Adams if he sounds more like Lambert than Hughton.  And if that generates a wave of positivity between fans and players, that gives a better chance of the players performing to their maximum ability than if the fans are getting in to fights with the players and throwing things at the manage, so frankly i don''t give a sh!t if it means comparing x with y. Who cares? All that matters is points.

Interesting point JonnyH about saying it''s not a must win game, but what would we be saying if Hughton had said it wasn''t a must win game? He''d have been absolutely crucified.

splutcho wrote the following post at 11/04/2014 11:29 AM:

Interesting point JonnyH about saying it''s not a must win game, but what would we be saying if Hughton had said it wasn''t a must win game? He''d have been absolutely crucified.

One big difference, if Hooooton had said it he would have meant it.