Sign in to follow this  
Phillip J Fry

Snodgrass Comments

Haven''t seen a thread on this so I thought I''d share this article I found. Some very interesting comments from Snodgrass who appears ready for the game on Saturday if nothing else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2601710/Robert-Snodgrass-sets-sights-hero-saves-Norwich-relegation.html

[quote user="Herman "]''I hear too much about what other teams can do...''  Telling comment?[/quote]

I thought similar but it could just be a general comment about the national media?

Maybe. But having heard a similar complaint on here over the last year or so, maybe it''s not just some of the fans that get annoyed by it.

[quote user="Herman "]''I hear too much about what other teams can do...''  Telling comment?[/quote]

Says it all, screw Fulham, who cares who they have, we have Snodgrass who is ready to F**k S**t up! I''ve been sick of Hughton banging on about how good the opponents are and how we might "sneak a 1-0" if we play to our best etc. bollocks to that. Let''s go and make them stupid cottagers cry.

Our fans under value Snodgrass massively.

Not very often you get a player with good Premier League quality - and then on top of that the determination and attitude you''d get from a lower-league player playing for his home club.

Top, top player and hopefully POTS.

If he wins POTS it just sums up how underwhelming this season has been.
Snodgrass wasn''t good until after Christmas. If someone can win POTS having only played half a season well then we should just not award it.

Snodgrass POTS?

But as has been stated, it''s Player of the Season, not half a season.

What sort of game will Snodgrass play on Saturday (if he is picked). Will he be on the right, slowing our attacks down and crossing with the wrong foot to the heart of the opposition defence, or will he be under instruction to get crosses in early or get to the by line and pull a few back.

How he has been used all season has been one of the reasons that the strikers have been starved of good service. If he is used in the same way there will be little improvement to what has gone before.

If Adams really wants to change it and introduce pace wide there could be a possibility that he could be dropped ............. and perhaps that could be the reason for the rallying cry ........ to try and make sure he isn''t!

Me too. Gives the impression he cares, plus where would we be without his goals? Leading scorer and midfielder? To be honest, if I was him and saw the crap on here about how crap and ugly he is, I''d be fed up and leave.

Ok, he''s no Ronaldo, but Give the man some credit!

the only obvious candidate is Snoddy.Even when it wasn''t going for him he never hid.

If he scores the winner on Saturday, he can have POTS. I wouldn''t even consider anyone else. In fact whoever scores the winner can have it, even Becchio or RVW!

[quote user="ricardo"]the only obvious candidate is Snoddy.Even when it wasn''t going for him he never hid.[/quote]Olsson is a far more obvious candidate to my eyes.

"If there is any part to be ''read into'' then it is this remark"You should be giving your all every single day. It doesn''t matter who''s in charge"Which can be taken as a comment directed at either manager ie the suggestion being that players were not giving their all for Hughton, or might not for Adams. My suspicions are that it is the former.Something Snodgrass touched on almost a year ago in an interview with Radio Norfolk when he talked of  '' doing what you are told '', followed shortly after by Holt''s similar comments. This smacked of their being some kind of difference of opinion over how things should be played, as players normally just get on with it. You rarely hear such comments, unless there is an obvious problem.Snodgrass is certainly committed, even sometimes to the point of ''theatricals'' to get free kicks and allowing his voice to be heard too much when near the referee. If Adams can get that spirit to be fully expressed by all the players then we have a fighting chance of staying up.Take away the shackles that have previously been put on the players and I cannot see one squad player who will not be up for it. Many may (and should) bare in mind Snodgrasses other comment"''Some of us might never get that chance again to play there (in the Premier League).''and it may be a while for fans as well.

POTS for me. He leaves nothing on the pitch and can show some excellent quality. Shame he can''t be more consistent but he always give it is best. If he could just control his emotions a bit he would be a better player.

Vanwalt -POTS for me. He leaves nothing on the pitch and can show some excellent

quality. Shame he can''t be more consistent but he always give it is

best. If he could just control his emotions a bit he would be a better

player.

I wouldn''t play him.  First twenty minutes that were so important last week and he was not good.   He often improves as games go on, but that doesn''t help, when its the beginning of games that set the tone for a match.  I''d have Redmond on the right, to link up with Martin and with Pilks or Gutierrez on the left to link up with Ollson.    If we have wingers on the pitch, they need to be up to speed from the start of a match, not twenty/thirty minutes in. Consistency is what the team has been lacking.  If Snodgrass is inconsistent - it could be partly why the team is inconsistent. 

If he plays - and I know he gives everything - he needs to make sure he is focused from the kick off, then we might see the best of him. 

Snodgrass is a trier when he gets the ball but he''s not a truly hard worker off it.

People say he never goes missing and never hides. Well where was he for long chunks of the WBA match? He disappeared into central positions and gave Martin very little help.

And there have been plenty of other games this season where he has managed to get himself everywhere but where the ball is.

Yeah he shouts a bit and waves his arms around which is "passion" but he was poor for the first half of the season and has only found better form in recent weeks.

I would say Ruddy (who somewhat ridiculously seems to have been quite forgotten about) and Olsson have had far more consistent seasons. As has Howson too when he''s been fit.

I do think Snodgrass is a good player but for me it seems that a few token gesture efforts at the right times make it look like he''s put a lot more into the game than he really has sometimes.

I cannot believe the Snodgrass love-in on here. I don''t deny he has qualities, especially his never-say-die attitude. However, he insists on doing everything himself (including taking penalties he shouldn''t) and in my opinion this completely unbalances our attacking options. For me, he is as guilty as Redmond of playing for himself rather than for the team, without the excuse of youth. What he needs is a strong manager who puts him firmly in his place and makes him discipline himself during matches. For example, why does he take every corner and every free kick, even when he is not on song? This marginalises other skilful players such as Pilks and Olsson. Plus filtering everything through Snodgrass slows our attack to a trickle.I know he has scored five goals and also has a handful of assists (as he spelled out in a Pink Un interview a few weeks ago which was supposed to be about the team but ended up being about Snodgrass publicising himself), but his primary job should be to create chances for RvW and Hooper, and he doesn''t do that anywhere near often enough. In my opinion his selfishness is one of the reasons that RvW hasn''t worked (there seems no love lost there) and perhaps why Pilks seems to have become marginalised. It''s no good having a winger who scores five goals if he has created virtually zero from the wings for the main strikers.I particularly think Hughton was exactly the wrong manager for Snodgrass. Snodgrass appeared to be first on the team sheet every week and this just seemed to feed his ego. I guess Hughton liked him because he has a competitive attitude and ''covered every blade of grass'', which Hughton trusts much more than elusive qualities such as skill and vision.As for making him captain, please no! I agree Bassong has not been a success, but give it to someone who works for the team rather than his own ego. Holt had an ego, a massive one, but he always sublimated it for the good of the side. I really don''t think Snodgrass can do this.OK, I know you''ll all shoot me down, but this is my honest opinion. I don''t deny the statistics and the goals and the attitude. But I''m unsure whether, on balance, Snodgrass has been good for the side as a whole this season.

He made these comments because he was put forward to the press by the club and with a little bit of prompting from the club''s press officer they would know how he would come over, so a good choice for right now. Also, lets not forget that Bassong was very close to Chris Hughton so possibly not the right time for him to be in front of the press, these things happen.

As for Snodgrass MoM......Ricardo hits the nail on the head, a few players this season have hid, but Snodgrass simply hasnt even when he wasnt in his best form, plus even though off form his energy was valuable early season in my view.

Right now I''m thinking it is close between him and Olsson, particularly as Olsson has been playing with a nasty shoulder injury yet has still been 100% full on throughout.   

I think people need to judge him on his haircut and beard trim. He looks ready, and up for the game.

Oh yeh, and Olsson still PotS for me.

Interesting interview with Snodgrass in today''s pinkun.

I think he comes across as an intelligent bloke and combined with his passion for the game, I think he could make a good captain.

Making him captain might make him less petulant on the field and giving him that extra responsibility might make him more inclusive of other team members.

Of course, the only way to find out is to try it out and see if it works, but the potential is there.

I noticed he used the phrase "go out and give it a go". Which is word-for-word from the Lambert dictionary of football parlance. He also said there is no time to dwell on Chris Hughton, which seems like that era has already been consigned to history, not to be brought up again in current contexts.

Hopefully there will be a return to the fighting spirit, never-say-die attitude from the core of players that were here during the Lambert years. I hope so. We haven''t got long now to find out.