Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Only as good as your strikers

How true it is. If/when we go down it is because so many chances were not converted. Today we see another "good disolay" but also chances wasted. Suicide in the prem

Very true, the money was spent in the right places, but their goal scoring ability has all but been sucked out of them by poor man management and tactics.

The second half is a highlight of that, all that possession but no testing shots.

Our problem was that we bought two unproven EPL strikers..

It''s fair to take a chance on one striker that is performing well in their league outside the EPL (as Hooper and RVW did) but two and then pinning our hopes on them is ridiculous.

And then to think the backup was Elmander who''s career record is almost 1 goal every 5 games or Becchio who I never stood a chance.

Every striker Hughton brought in or already had at that the club has struggled to score. Makes you realise how well Holt did last season to get the goals he did - and how much we have missed someone like that.

Hughton has spent a lot of money on two strikers who can''t play on their own upfront in the Prem and seem like they can''t play together. And it was very obvious from the off that Elmander was never going to be the answer or value for money.

Desperately needed a good attacker/forward in January and didn''t get one.

Massive, massive failings by Hughton.

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]When you look at how poorly they have both done, it makes you wonder what Hughton was thinking when he let. Vaughan and others leave.[/quote]Is that the same James Vaughan who has spent half the season injured again? He was a complete waste of time (through no fault of his own, mind you.. he''s just terribly unlucky with injuries). We couldn''t be carrying someone like that.Hull had the right idea, buying proven Premier League quality in Long and Jelavic. Admittedly that was quite a coup for them, and they''re paying them both a fortune each week, but it just goes to show how difficult it is to recruit that sort of quality, and why we had to look at other top flight leagues in Europe in an effort to find strikers who will score regularly in the Premier League.Sadly though, I think we could''ve had Pele in his prime playing up front for his this season and he would''ve struggled to reach 10 goals.

We should have spent more on the midfield, save to say with a better manager our present midfield could have done a lot better. We stuck too long with someone who never wanted to play the Norwich way.

Blaming the strikers again.

How many times must it be said - it is not the strikers fault if the system they had to play to was rubbish.

Chris Hughton brought in six strikers to the club. All of those strikers have previously scored goals.

The six strikers have scored a total of eight goals between them.

Does this tell you nothing?

[quote user="GJP"]

Every striker Hughton brought in or already had at that the club has struggled to score. Makes you realise how well Holt did last season to get the goals he did - and how much we have missed someone like that.

Hughton has spent a lot of money on two strikers who can''t play on their own upfront in the Prem and seem like they can''t play together. And it was very obvious from the off that Elmander was never going to be the answer or value for money.

Desperately needed a good attacker/forward in January and didn''t get one.

Massive, massive failings by Hughton.

[/quote]Isn''t this the point at which City1st usually explains that signings have nothing to do with the manager?

Needed a ball playing midfielder to join up midfield and attack.  Quagilarella, or Quasimodo, or whatever his name was, was meant to be that bloke.  Lost out on him and ended up with Elmander.  F*ck knows why, but that was the difference.  A midfield playmaker (no, not Wes, I mean a Premiership playmaker) and we''d have been alright.  We might still be alright, still four to go and all to play for.

Hull bought Jelavic and Long in the transfer window. Our failure to bring in anyone of similar ilk when our strikers were not performing, or anyone creative enough in midfield to provide ammunition for the strikers ultimately will cost us our premier league status.Please nobody mention Elmander or I will give you a virtual kick in the testicles for being so stupid!

If Long and Jelavic had been with us all season you would be now be complaining about how poor they are because they would not have scored goals the way our teams were set up.

Holt managed to score 8 goals last season in a team set up the same way. I think Long & Jelavic are of a similar standard. A few extra goals & we''d have been nowhere near relegation.

Rodallega today demonstrated why a decent PL striker is essential. We haven''t got one.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 12/04/2014 7:59 PM:

Holt managed to score 8 goals last season in a team set up the same way. I think Long & Jelavic are of a similar standard. A few extra goals & we''d have been nowhere near relegation.

Rodallega today demonstrated why a decent PL striker is essential. We haven''t got one.

After a year''s experience of the Premier League when he scored 17 goals for us he managed less than half that under Chris Hughton. The two strikers we bought have had no experience of the Premiership thus making it far more difficult.

As a previous poster has written, it was madness to get two new main strikers when neither of them had any experience of the Premiership.

It was always going to be hard for them whichever team they played for, it just became ridiculously hard with us with the system that has been employed this season.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 12/04/2014 7:59 PM:

After a year''s experience of the Premier League when Holt scored 17 goals for us he managed less than half that under Chris Hughton. The two strikers we bought have had no experience of the Premiership thus making it far more difficult.

As a previous poster has written, it was madness to get two new main strikers when neither of them had any experience of the Premiership.

It was always going to be hard for them whichever team they played for, it just became ridiculously hard with us with the system that has been employed this season.

YW, I totally agree about the strikers. I - like everyone else - hoped that RvW would be the answer. Personally I never held out such hope for Hooper.

What many find difficult to accept is that, while £8.25m might be a lot for us, it really isn''t for a PL striker, so he had to be a gamble. Sometimes gambles pay off, but this time it didn''t.

You should also bear in mind that our wages are pretty low. And - I know I bang on about this - but NCFC isn''t the choice that automatically springs to mind for most top class strikers.

It really shows how much of a bargain Grant was. Bargain of the century. Scoring 8 goals in the Prem. , even when he was totally hacked off. Whadda guy.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Holt managed to score 8 goals last season in a team set up the same way. I think Long & Jelavic are of a similar standard. A few extra goals & we''d have been nowhere near relegation.

Rodallega today demonstrated why a decent PL striker is essential. We haven''t got one.[/quote]

This is a good point. We have been sufficiently competitive in this division to have survived but our balance of strikers has not been right.

For me we face relegation because we signed both RvW and Hoops. Both play too similar a role. With hindsight maybe we should have gone for just Hoops plus a Holty replacement, a proven striker that can play the target man role. Possibly the mistake was realised in August which is why Elmander was brought in but sadly he has proved not to be up to it.

We will pay dearly for Hoots buying strikers that do not fit the system he intended to play.