Was:

Year 1. Stabilisation in League 1

Year 2. Promotion from league 1

Year 3. Consolidation in Championship

Year 4. Promotion to PL

Year 5. Relegation to Championship

Year 6. Promotion back to PL

Year 7. Consolidation in League 1

In the event, we ended up in the Prem at the end of year 2, ie 2 years early on the plan.

IF we go down, this will be at year 5, which was predicted all the way along when we were back in League 1.

So if the worst does come to the worse, let''s just have a small sense of reality here. David McNally remains on track with his plan he set 4/5 years ago, one which we would have snapped up immediately.

We got up to the PL early and perhaps end up getting relegated more than the immediate season we had expected. BUT, in the grand scheme of things, we remain on track with the plan.

SO LETS STOP MOUTHING OFF THIS SH!T OF MCNALLY NEEDING TO RESIGN. WHAT A LOAD OF OLD TOSH, FOR SOMEONE WHO REMAINS ON TRACK WITH HIS ORIGNAL 7 YEAR PLAN HE SET IN LEAGUE 1 - LONG BEFORE WE WERE NEAR THE TOP BY THE WAY.

Maybe some mistakes have been made this season, but David McNally has earned the right to maintain our faith in him. Now, where have I heard this phrase before?!

If we do end up back in the Championship, the one trick we will have to learn from 9 years ago, is not to go out and but a load of Jason Jarretts, Andy Hughes, Matthieu Louis-Jeans, Carl Robinsons and Peter Thorns.

But Flecky, you do realise that having achieved promotion to the PL in year 2, they would have drawn up a completely different long term plan? I very much doubt they''ll be sticking to that one! Nor drawing any consolation therefore that they had us down for relegation in year 5 anyway.A new plan presumably encompassing clearing debt and building a stronger squad for the future, including acquiring £25m worth of ''talent'', with associated increased costs?I hope McNally stays if the unthinkable happens. Provided of course that there are sensible relegation clauses inserted into recently awarded contracts and that he has planned prudently for this ''worse than death'' scenario.

Plan will need a rethink if relegated. Shall need to rebuild with not a lot of parachute money which shall be needed for paying Premier League wages to Bassong, Hooper and RVW etc. Some will move on and we shall need midfield reinforcements however Fer will move on. Also a Grant Holt like forward.

I''d like to think we could reverse the curse of years ending in 05.

Judging from what''s said on here, I think many people will be much happier with the club in the Championship. The reality of life in the Premier League is just too depressing for a significant minority of our fans.More Saturday games, more games where we dominate, more wins home and away, the expectation of promotion. What''s not to like? Then if we come back it will be the same old story with people disappointed at being in a mid table or a relegation fight. Everything eventually comes full circle.This is Norwich City, it''s what we do, get used to it.

Its not just Norwich City Ricky, its a good number of the teams in the Prem.

I wont believe we are going down till its a mathematical certainty, but if we do, there will be plenty of excitement next season and maybe more than a few youngsters coming through to rebuild the team.

Perhaps this is premature, but who do we sell and what do we get from the sale. I suppose the first is Pilkington who could fetch £2m, perhaps more.

Fer, Snodgrass and Ruddy will be sought after and that should be above £10m.

So we have stalwats like Martin, the youngsters and parachute and market money to keep us in good stead for a quick yo yo.

Is that too optimistic?

The 7 year plan also relies upon us "yo-yo" -ing back to the Premier league at the first attempt.

In recent years, this is a very rare occurence. Most teams take 3 or 4 seasons in the championship before bouncing back. It has been nearly as likely that teams end up in league 1 as back in the premier league.

planning for relegation is like eating fry ups every day in preparation for a heart attack, thinking it will be ok if i survive i can have another bacon roll a week latercrackersthe odds on us returning straight away are slim to zero, we will be a long term mid table championship club for a long time before we are premier league again, some of you might not have noticed but delia doesnt like spending in the premier league, youve got no chance of that in the championship

its not like we havnt seen this all before

[quote user="iron_stan"]planning for relegation is like eating fry ups every day in preparation for a heart attack, thinking it will be ok if i survive i can have another bacon roll a week latercrackersthe odds on us returning straight away are slim to zero, we will be a long term mid table championship club for a long time before we are premier league again, some of you might not have noticed but delia doesnt like spending in the premier league, youve got no chance of that in the championship

its not like we havnt seen this all before

[/quote]

And if you live long enough Stan, you will see it all again.

Put yourself back to the 7-1 defeat to Colchester. That evening, if you had been told that over the next five years we were going to have two consecutive promotions, followed by three consecutive seasons in the Premiership, would you have regarded that as success or failure?

Nobody can possibly argued that McNally has turned the club round. Yes, he should have got rid of Hughton sooner, but some people have got very short memories.

[quote user="ricardo"]Judging from what''s said on here, I think many people will be much happier with the club in the Championship. The reality of life in the Premier League is just too depressing for a significant minority of our fans.More Saturday games, more games where we dominate, more wins home and away, the expectation of promotion. What''s not to like? Then if we come back it will be the same old story with people disappointed at being in a mid table or a relegation fight. Everything eventually comes full circle.This is Norwich City, it''s what we do, get used to it.[/quote]
Ricky whilst what you say makes sense, I can not but help feel more disappointment than I should given that we look to be just about to do what we do!
It is not because I believe we have a divine right to be in the top flight. Like many of the mature of years supporters on here when I signed up when we had never been in the top flight and no realistic expectation of getting there, albeit for me it did then happen quite soon.
The disappointment is that this time I feel we have wasted a great chance for a more extended stay in the top flight. When the "plan" was drawn up I would assume that the immediate relegation was in response to the need to make loan repayments and so not being able to make the necessary investment to survive. Well we defied the odds and stayed up, for two years, and constructed the base for an extended stay.
And it could have been different. We have been sufficiently competitive to have survived, except in that one vital part of the game - the oppositions box. Buying two strikers who are essentially poachers was the big mistake. We needed one plus a Holty replacement, somebody who was going to get the centre backs faces and ensure they were not going to have a comfortable afternoon, someone who would create the scraps for a poacher. But for that mistake......
I never accept safety until it is mathematically certain and I will similarly maintain some hope until it is mathematically impossible to survive. But as you have said relegation became likely after the WBA game and we really are into miracle territory now.
OTBC