Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

Lightweight and fickle "fans"

After all the rejoicing earlier in the week with Hughton''s sacking, and all the threads about a glorious dawn, playing without fear, "getting our club back"...

One defeat and once again the board is littered with the "RvW is useless", "we''re going down", "summer clearout", "sack McNally" nonsense.

Some of you need to pull yourselves together, man up and get behind the team. Four games left, three points needed. Cease your bipolar behaviour and stick with the team and manager. Had you done this in the first instance, we might not be in this sorry state but you can''t throw the towel in now.

Never give up. Never, never, never.

Agree to some extent, however we are constantly one of the most self harming football club in England. The board have yet again sat by and watched a clueless manager destroy a strong position in english football. They are absolute clueless.

Watch hull and palace a couple of footballing giants now create a solid footing for 10 years in the top league of English football. We should have became a stoke, Fulham etc... Instead we have managed to get relegated.

I am absolute speechless. There incompetence is beyond belief. The only positive I can think of is that it''s their money we are losing. They totally deserve it.

The strikers have also been absolute pathetic and should hang their heads in shame. What a sorry pair of tools they have been. 20 million clueless Chris blew on these 2 clowns.

Why did we not make the change and buy jelavic or shame long in January? Because they are complete and utter incompetent.

I am past caring.

Well said OP.

Some of the vitriol directed at RV has been far too OTT and is nothing but destructive. Apparently some of the away support were jeering him yesterday. What did their pee brains tell them? Let''s destroy a player because he''s having a bad time? A Norwich City player?

Awful.

Broadstairs I was there yesterday, i was on the front row and did not hear RVW getting jeered but he was absolutely uesless as always.Shame you dont post from a personal perspective rather than hearsay

[quote user="Long drives home"]Agree to some extent, however we are constantly one of the most self harming football club in England. The board have yet again sat by and watched a clueless manager destroy a strong position in english football. They are absolute clueless. Watch hull and palace a couple of footballing giants now create a solid footing for 10 years in the top league of English football. We should have became a stoke, Fulham etc... Instead we have managed to get relegated. I am absolute speechless. There incompetence is beyond belief. The only positive I can think of is that it''s their money we are losing. They totally deserve it. The strikers have also been absolute pathetic and should hang their heads in shame. What a sorry pair of tools they have been. 20 million clueless Chris blew on these 2 clowns. Why did we not make the change and buy jelavic or shame long in January? Because they are complete and utter incompetent. I am past caring.[/quote]

The opening post is aimed at posters exactly like you.

We are not relegated yet. Get that into your thick head.

Palace and Hull are not building for a solid footing. They have done exactly what we did in our first season back in the Prem. They will in all likelihood be fighting relegation themselves in the next couple of seasons.

They watched and backed a manager who was keeping us in this league. He was doing just enough to keep us here, but once he lost the must win games he had to go. The board had balls to keep him as long as they did. Given the fans choice, he would have been gone after his first loss.

The two strikers looked like very good buys, which everyone was excited about. They haven''t worked sadly, which happens in football, but calling them clowns or dogs dick is beyond pathetic.

P.s. You are clearly not speechless, but my God, I wish you were[:@]

I''m pleased to hear that city, when i read the comment about jeering I was pretty concerned.

We want these players to keep us up, they need all the encouragement we can give them.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Well said OP.

Some of the vitriol directed at RV has been far too OTT and is nothing but destructive. Apparently some of the away support were jeering him yesterday. What did their pee brains tell them? Let''s destroy a player because he''s having a bad time? A Norwich City player?

Awful.

[/quote]

I''m with you on that, this isn''t a new thing sadly, it''s gone on for months - at a time we should have been concentrating on ''showing him the love'' plenty of supporters fell short and have not done their bit to help. Of course he has to do his bit as well but it would have been nice if we could have shown him a little more patience after a few games rather than waste time harping on and on about how he''s this and that. The RvW backlash started too early and has dented the lads confidence, that said his volleyed shot yesterday was timed to perfection yesterday and showed a hint of why he''s been getting international call ups, the technique is there whatever anyone says.

I refer them all to Iwan''s first season...

[quote user="city4eva"]Broadstairs I was there yesterday, i was on the front row and did not hear RVW getting jeered but he was absolutely uesless as always.

Shame you dont post from a personal perspective rather than hearsay

[/quote]

Fair enough. I was told that.

Why his tantrum at the end then?

I agree that we should not give up hope and we need FCR to be on top form for the remaining games. I was both gutted by yesterday''s result and slightly encouraged by the return of the collective spirit yesterday. Despite the magnitude of the result, I was less demoralised than I have been by many other away defeats this season because the players have absolutely everything and never took a step backwards. That''s the spirit we will need for the remaining games.

The one point I disagreed on is RVW. I have rarely seen such an inept performance. He truly was useless and I have no hope whatsoever that he''s going to "come good" because he does not display even the most basic attributes of a top class performer. Adams decision to start him yesterday really surprised me but he was right to take him off when he did. He did not get jeered but there was some cheering of the substitution because he had been THAT bad.

[quote user="Brienne"]I''m pleased to hear that city, when i read the comment about jeering I was pretty concerned. We want these players to keep us up, they need all the encouragement we can give them.[/quote]

Perhaps jeering is the wrong word. I was told that there was sarcastic hooraying whenever he got a pass right.

Please tell me that this was not the case.

I agree that there seems to be a self-harm element - but its true of all clubs to an extent.   Changing manager is a gamble at the best of times.   My grouch is that having held their nerve for so long, the board should have stuck with Hughton to the end.   For the first time since the Spurs game we could have put the same team out at Fulham and in particular the midfield in that game had all the answers - and we looked at times like a top class team in that department in that game.   Would Hughton have picked that team, or at least that midfield? Who knows, but with Fer fit, it would have been more than likely.   Fair dos, Adams put out a team that competed well, especially in the first half, but luck was against us again in front of goal RVW unlucky not to score.

The fans?   They drive me mad sometimes.   Some of them had complete failure to force themselves to get over Lambert leaving and try and grasp what the club were trying to do by appointing Hughton.     The negativity and lack of understanding, the constant drip of some fans never giving credit for Hughton for anything good that happened - always focusing on the bad things.   You accuse Hughton of being negative, well his negativity was nothing to some fans, especially on here.

I knew that the scenario of last Saturday could have happened earlier in the season.  Before the Man City game I called for people not to lose it if we struggled.  We didn''t - and it was a great atmosphere, but sooner or later it was going to happen.  And it did at WBA.   But was it right?   Fan power?  What do us fans really know?  99% of us are complete dunces at knowing anything about managing at the top level.   Comments like "They were there for the taking"  "they have a poor squad" and such, show nothing more than a blinkered approach.  

Lambert showed us the way - keep the positive energy up and anything can happen.   Well, post Lambert that is something that fans singularly failed to do.  Hughton was on a hiding to nothing the moment he got here - and that negativity amongst some fans did nothing to help him.   People keep saying that what fans think or do has nothing to do with how the club is.  Well that is complete b*ll*x of the first order.  We are what we are as a club - manager, players and fans.  Its all very well to get behind the manager when it suits us, but when it doesn''t he doesn''t stand much chance.  

If the fans had anything to do with Hughton being sacked last week, then they had an effect.   When they are supporting at their best they  are the tweflth man on the pitch and help the team over the line.  So they DO have an effect - ALL the time.   So it is with regret I say that fans have to take some of the responsibility for where we are now.

We now have Adams who may get the team going and getting points, but as the op asked the question -  now we have him, is there any chance we can stay positive until the end of the season????   He could do it - but we need everyone to be positive to the end.   I repeat - is there any chance?   Or are we going to wallow in self pity and moan about the past all the time..........as we usually do?    

Get your fingers out of your backsides, stop droning on about the upcoming four games - they would have been difficult whoever we are playing - 12 points available and we have to get some.   Or you could roll over with your legs and feet in the air with your tongue hanging out and look forward to playing in a season below next season....................

Well??

spot on - our fans are turning into a pastiche of those fickle geordies.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The fans?   They drive me mad sometimes.   Some of them had complete failure to force themselves to get over Lambert leaving and try and grasp what the club were trying to do by appointing Hughton.     The negativity and lack of understanding, the constant drip of some fans never giving credit for Hughton for anything good that happened - always focusing on the bad things.   You accuse Hughton of being negative, well his negativity was nothing to some fans, especially on here. [/quote]Reckon my favourites are them who moaned relentlessly during the Houghton era then, the minute Houghton got sacked, started all this "get behind the team now", "everyone pull together" - and that lasted about four days before they''re now slating the squad and the board.

Broadstairs, there was definitely some cheering of RVW''s passes just before he got subbed, it was only a few fans but whether it was ironic or not i don''t know.