Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

Lack of leadership - David McNally

We were relegated yesterday, in my opinion. Not officially, but as good as. We needn''t be in this position but for a little bit of leadership on or off the pitch. Unfortunately leadership is something we have lacked at the football club since Grant Holt left for Wigan.

Chris Hughton wasn''t a leader, David McNally hasn''t been a leader, Russell Martin isn''t a leader, nor Snodgrass, Bassong, Ruddy etc.

For me, the blame for our relegation lies with David McNally. I went to a fans forum at Carrow Road back in September. We''d just lost at home to Chelsea. A decent performance. It was Neil Adams who said, before the Q&A got underway, that we were to respect all people on the panel and be civil with our questions and responses. Basically, it felt like an un-said rule that we shouldn''t make life too difficult for Hughton, McNally and the rest of the panel. They wanted an easy ride, believing they knew it all.

A few testing questions were asked that evening, but were shot down quite quickly by a panel who felt the club wouldn''t be anywhere near relegation come April/May time. They didn''t have anything to back this up, but just felt sure they were heading in the right direction. What I saw on that panel with a certain Mr. McNally was a man who had too much power at this football club. A man who perhaps got lucky with the appointment of a manager we don''t seem allowed to mention anymore. A Chief Executive who has such a streak of arrogance whereby he always feels he''s right and lacks the guts to admit he''s wrong.

Chris Hughton should''ve been sacked on Sunday 3rd November 2013, the day after we lost 7-0 at Man City. Yes, other teams have since gone there and been hammered themselves, but it was clear to see that Norwich City were a team on the slide, with so little belief in themselves, with so little leadership on or off the pitch. I believe the decision to sack Hughton was constantly not taken because the club, McNally specifically, dilly dallied over what to do, then it became too late. The most successful people in life make quick decisions.

The decision to sack Hughton was correct, but came 5/6 months too late. McNally can state publicly as much as he wants that "We will NOT go down", but I highly doubt whether he actually believes that. He has nothing to base it on. We are finished in this league, thanks to a man who bought into his own hype, a man who ruled with an iron fist when it came to the best manager in our history, yet ruled with a delicate stroke of the face when it came to Mr. Chris Hughton.

Yesterday we faced a team who''ve had three managers this season. They should be the laughing stock, but somehow, good old Norwich City end the day looking like the joke of the division. All because our very own Mr. Nasty became Mr. Nice and Mr. Indecisive just at the wrong time.

At least we get more games for our money in the Championship.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]We were relegated yesterday, in my opinion. Not officially, but as good as. We needn''t be in this position but for a little bit of leadership on or off the pitch. Unfortunately leadership is something we have lacked at the football club since Grant Holt left for Wigan.

Chris Hughton wasn''t a leader, David McNally hasn''t been a leader, Russell Martin isn''t a leader, nor Snodgrass, Bassong, Ruddy etc.

For me, the blame for our relegation lies with David McNally. I went to a fans forum at Carrow Road back in September. We''d just lost at home to Chelsea. A decent performance. It was Neil Adams who said, before the Q&A got underway, that we were to respect all people on the panel and be civil with our questions and responses. Basically, it felt like an un-said rule that we shouldn''t make life too difficult for Hughton, McNally and the rest of the panel. They wanted an easy ride, believing they knew it all.

A few testing questions were asked that evening, but were shot down quite quickly by a panel who felt the club wouldn''t be anywhere near relegation come April/May time. They didn''t have anything to back this up, but just felt sure they were heading in the right direction. What I saw on that panel with a certain Mr. McNally was a man who had too much power at this football club. A man who perhaps got lucky with the appointment of a manager we don''t seem allowed to mention anymore. A Chief Executive who has such a streak of arrogance whereby he always feels he''s right and lacks the guts to admit he''s wrong.

Chris Hughton should''ve been sacked on Sunday 3rd November 2013, the day after we lost 7-0 at Man City. Yes, other teams have since gone there and been hammered themselves, but it was clear to see that Norwich City were a team on the slide, with so little belief in themselves, with so little leadership on or off the pitch. I believe the decision to sack Hughton was constantly not taken because the club, McNally specifically, dilly dallied over what to do, then it became too late. The most successful people in life make quick decisions.

The decision to sack Hughton was correct, but came 5/6 months too late. McNally can state publicly as much as he wants that "We will NOT go down", but I highly doubt whether he actually believes that. He has nothing to base it on. We are finished in this league, thanks to a man who bought into his own hype, a man who ruled with an iron fist when it came to the best manager in our history, yet ruled with a delicate stroke of the face when it came to Mr. Chris Hughton.

Yesterday we faced a team who''ve had three managers this season. They should be the laughing stock, but somehow, good old Norwich City end the day looking like the joke of the division. All because our very own Mr. Nasty became Mr. Nice and Mr. Indecisive just at the wrong time.

At least we get more games for our money in the Championship.[/quote]

Worse than one of my posts.   "The most successful people in life make quick decisions."If you really believe that you are are in trouble.   The most successful people make the right decisions at the right time, regardless of whether they are quick or slow.      The decision to sack Hughton now cannot be judged until the end of the season.   You may have decided what the future is, the rest of us will wait with hope, to see what really happens. 

"Chris Hughton wasn''t a leader, David McNally hasn''t been a leader, Russell Martin isn''t a leader, nor Snodgrass, Bassong, Ruddy etc."

YellowNets, pray tell how you know this about all these people, do you know them personally and have been lead by them (badlyI guess) and this is what draws you to state irrefutably that they are not leaders?

If this is not the case can you plese explain why you are so certain about our lack of leaders?

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]Its amazing how many people on her still defend McNally. Not sacking Hughton sooner is going to cost us £47 million next season![/quote]

Because he is one of the reasons we have advanced so quickly. To get rid when that advance halts, just to satisfy some blame-culture halfwits, is extremely short sighted.

Ray asks a good question of the OP.....an answer would be great to give your post at least some credibility, bacause right now it has none.

Now Hughton has gone I suppose some "supporters" need someone else to blame. I guess. How about getting behind the team and keeping mouth shut if people have nothing positive to say right now?!

Plenty of time to moan in the Summer. Let''s take the pressure off those who are trying to keep us up shall we, at least for now please.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I guess we will see if sacking hughton and replacing him with neil adams was the right thing to do[/quote]Sacking Hughton would have been the right decision if it was taken months ago and a proper manager installed . If anything Hughtons record against the bigger sides at Carrow Road was one of his few good points , so to sack him with 4 big sides left to play was laughable , yes football people are laughing at Norwich and you cannot really say they are wrong .

quote user="Manic Street Preacher"Its amazing how many people on her still defend McNally.

Not sacking Hughton sooner is going to cost us £47 million next season!/quote

Well, for one thing the OP conveniently ignores the fact that McNally doesn''t have sole authority to sack the manager. You will note that the decision to remove CH was a ''unanimous board decision''. So blaming DM solely is ignoring the fact that the whole board as a collective makes these kind of decisions.

DM isn''t perfect but one thing is for sure, when he replaced Doomcaster the Club was on its knees, and whether or not we go down this season, we are still in a far better position than we were when he became CEO.

If Adams loses all his games in charge he would be, I believe, on a par with Hughton, as I really could not have seen him getting us another point.

The only difference being that I saw us attack yesterday, something I have not seen too much of at an away fixture for a long while.

If we do lose these five matches at least we will have put up a fight and not meekly surrendered.

I think that the OP makes a very good broad point about the lack of leadership on the pitch, which has been evident all season.Most other teams have some very obvious leaders, usually experienced players. We have been crying out for a Kevin Nolan or a Scott Parker in midfield all season. If Craig Bellamy had been fit all season then Cardiff would probably be higher up the league.The OP is correct that on the pitch at least we have lacked leadership, even just a convincing and universally respected captain. I actually think the problem originates with us giving Bassong the captaincy, how Hughton thought he made a good captain is beyond me, he may be the teachers pet but he doesn''t strike me as the players choice.I think Russell Martin or Michael Turner would have been the players choice, and when Grant Holt left he tweeted that Russell Martin was his choice for next captain. Hughton hasn''t given it to a Lambert player because he wanted to impose his authority, and in the process he has destroyed the only thing which made us punch above our weight and achieve unexpected results in our first two seasons - the team spirit and unity.Bassong is a joker with nothing much good to say, can hardly speak English, isn''t consistent on the pitch and doesn''t seem to have a great enough reading of the game to be taken seriously when he attempts to bark at team mates.One good thing about relegation is that Bassong will probably be gone, back to France probably as two relegations in three seasons leaves his reputation damaged now. I won''t miss him at all.The first step is to get a natural born leader in the managers chair, somebody who understands all to well the importance of having leaders on the pitch, and that''s what attracts me Malky Mackay.