Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Keeping the players

If we go down this season, what chance would we have of keeping hold of most of our players? If we had our current squad in the championship Id be confident of coming straight back up.

What chance would we have of doing this financially and how many players would be prepared to stay (on the basis of an immediate return)?

I thought about this and for one reason or another I wouldn''t really be that fussed who ends up going. Which is pretty damning both of recruitment and development under Hughton.

May be a struggle to find a team desperate enough to take some of them off our hands!

Under the right management this team should get promotion from the championship, but we need to add a leader or two in there, because we lack fight.

I was thinking about this earlier and I don''t think we will lose to many! Ruddy will go for sure but I would be happy for Rudd to take his place! Out of the back for Martin, Olsson and Turner will stay! Which is all I''d want to stay! Midfield is hard, I''d expect snoddy, fer, tettey and pilks to go and we will prob lose both strikers which would be a great loss I''d be happy if we could nab Jordon Rhodes for our 2 strikers! The most crucial thing is to make sure the next manager is the right one or we won''t bounce straight back!

As long as Wofiewanker beggers off I''m not too fussed.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Grant Holt back for the Championship?[/quote]

Watching the team yesterday, it was crying out for a Holt type figure. First RVW then Hooper looked so down in the dumps it was palpable. You couldn''t help but wonder what if, and thinking about his performance last year against West Brom.

I''m not suggesting getting him back in, but I would dearly have loved him to be there yesterday.  

I''ve got to say that Hughtons legacy is how he has left those strikers. Surely RVW, Holt, Becchio, Hooper can''t all be as rubbish as they look/looked for us?  I thought RVW was going to cry at one point yesterday? Looks like he has had the life kicked out of him. Hooper wasn''t much better.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]If we go down this season, what chance would we have of keeping hold of most of our players? If we had our current squad in the championship Id be confident of coming straight back up. What chance would we have of doing this financially and how many players would be prepared to stay (on the basis of an immediate return)?[/quote]

On paper maybe....but how many would have the heart or the fight for a long Championship promotion challenge?....remember this group of players have not been winning football matches for a season and a half now.

when you look through our squad there''s only Martin,Ruddy,Hoolahan (the latter 2 who will probably leave) and Surman and Fox (if they stay) that were here from the Promotion winning team and who know what it takes..

At lest three players will go home from loan - Elmander, Gutierrez and Yobo. We don''t know yet who will be our manager next season, but I would be surprised if these three remained at CR. Some new players will be needed to replace them.

There are one or two others who might not be thought good enough for the Championship - Fox, Surman, Garrido. Whittaker worries me whenever he confronts an attacker, and he may wish to retreat to Scotland.

There are one or two who will snatched on the cheap , such as Fer, Ruddy, and perhaps one or two others who will want to be off - Snodgrass, Howson, Hooper, Becchio, Pilks, depending what sort of price we are offered. Perhaps RvW will stay, but do we want him?

To count on, we have possibly Rudd, Bassong, Turner, Martin, Bennett (2), Redmond, Wes, Olsson, Johnson, Tettey. We could be in the position of needing to sign/buy 8 or 10 players, and even then we would struggle to make the 25. (Even if we "promoted" some of the youngsters, e.g. Loza, Morris, Murphy (2), we might struggle to name 25., although they may not count anyway.)

With benefit of hindsight, we now know that we have one of the weakest Premiership squads this season, despite spending so much money. If we suffer the level of exits I suggest, there is no guarantee of being in the top 10 of the Championship. We need to spend big, we need a good manager, and some more good "nuggets" coming through the academy.

I would be interested to know which players, if any, had relegation clauses inserted into their contracts when they signed.  Specifically with regard to:- The club being entitled to pay the player reduced wages- The player being entitled to a transfer

Maybe rebuild the championship squad from the ground up with the funds from some of the more saleable players we have?Restart a 10 year plan and makes some big changes that will see us become more of a force in the future rather than just a team that avoids relegation or are happy to be in the PL like some small fry turds.

Do we want to keep all of these players? There are quite a few that I''d be happy to see gone.Bassong, Van Wolfswinkel, Elmander, that''s a good start.I will regret not seeing Fer reach his obvious potential, but we only need players with the bottle and willingness to get kicked every week to get us back. Anybody who doesn''t fancy it should be off.We need to rebuild the team and recreate the team spirit and unity that we had under Lambert, that''s what it takes to get promoted. I want us to keep all the players who genuinely want to be part of our future under a new manager and who are prepared to go to war to get us back, any player who has their agents out busy finding their next payday can f*ck off. There are probably quite a few players who are undecided until they know who the next manager is. We will soon find out which rats want to jump the sinking ship, and which ones want to stay loyal, just like last time.We need to build a team around people like Russell Martin, Bradley Johnson and Elliott Bennett, the club should be doing everything in their power to try and persuade Michael Turner to stay too.