Sign in to follow this  
Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger

Is McNally too powerful?

We''ve all seen him strutting round Carrow Road in his George at ASDA suit like he owns the place. I, for one, think he wields far too much power and has failed to show strong leadership over the last couple of years. I think it''s time this jumped up office boy was brought back to heel.

The club lacks a strong Chairman, a Sir Arthur South or, greatest of them all, a Robert Chase. These men wouldn''t have humoured an upperty bean counter.

Accordingly, it is my suggestion that a statue to Mr Chase be erected at the ground. It should bestride Carrow Road/Koblenz Avenue and be of sufficient height that when McNally looks out of his office window he is dwarfed by it. With Mr Chase''s characteristic cheery grin and high waisted trousers it truly would raise spirits. On match days fans could walk between his legs and feel his greatness. I have taken the liberty of contacting the relevant planning authorities and am confident of their full support. The statue could be paid for by donations and axing dead wood like the academy.

[quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"]We''ve all seen him strutting round Carrow Road in his George at ASDA suit like he owns the place. I, for one, think he wields far too much power and has failed to show strong leadership over the last couple of years. I think it''s time this jumped up office boy was brought back to heel.

The club lacks a strong Chairman, a Sir Arthur South or, greatest of them all, a Robert Chase. These men wouldn''t have humoured an upperty bean counter.

Accordingly, it is my suggestion that a statue to Mr Chase be erected at the ground. It should bestride Carrow Road/Koblenz Avenue and be of sufficient height that when McNally looks out of his office window he is dwarfed by it. With Mr Chase''s characteristic cheery grin and high waisted trousers it truly would raise spirits. On match days fans could walk between his legs and feel his greatness. I have taken the liberty of contacting the relevant planning authorities and am confident of their full support. The statue could be paid for by donations and axing dead wood like the academy.[/quote]

2/10, but for effort only.  Content?  0/10

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"]We''ve all seen him strutting round Carrow Road in his George at ASDA suit like he owns the place. I, for one, think he wields far too much power and has failed to show strong leadership over the last couple of years. I think it''s time this jumped up office boy was brought back to heel. The club lacks a strong Chairman, a Sir Arthur South or, greatest of them all, a Robert Chase. These men wouldn''t have humoured an upperty bean counter. Accordingly, it is my suggestion that a statue to Mr Chase be erected at the ground. It should bestride Carrow Road/Koblenz Avenue and be of sufficient height that when McNally looks out of his office window he is dwarfed by it. With Mr Chase''s characteristic cheery grin and high waisted trousers it truly would raise spirits. On match days fans could walk between his legs and feel his greatness. I have taken the liberty of contacting the relevant planning authorities and am confident of their full support. The statue could be paid for by donations and axing dead wood like the academy.[/quote]

2/10, but for effort only.  Content?  0/10

[/quote]

That high?

I''m not sure if he is too powerful, but, I think he is equally to blame for the clubs predicament. As is Bowker.

I think we can justifiably question how well other members of the Board have fulfilled their roles this season.

At best we have a 20% of remaining in the PL.

I hope McNally and Bowker both have the decency to resign if we are relegated.

As chief executive officer, and full time, he is responsible for decision making in the club, as in any company.

His record has been good, until now at least. He decided on Lambert and then won him, he also managed the signings and negotiations over new players, once recommended by the manager.

The Hughton position seem to drag out too long, but I suspect that other directors dragged their heals on this, and he is not the only one to have blame.

All in all he has been a smart operator behind the scenes, building up the structure like the academy status and Colney improvements.

If we are relegated despite Neil Adams, then it would not surprise me if McN resigned. If he does I would be disappointed. He has steered a proper path between board and manager pretty well, and achieved a coup. When I think what we were like before he came..........

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I hope McNally and Bowker both have the decency to resign....[/quote]Blimey, I haven''t heard that since BlyBlyBabes used it......You''re not he are you? [:O]

I''d like to know if we get relegated does he pay back the club the multi million pound bonuses he''s paid himself over the last couple of years?

err, it''s the Premier League money, as that''s who pays us the money for TV rights

Stop the in-fighting mentality.

One of the very most important games to come tomorrow so let''s stick together.

If we fail then the inquisitions can come later. Not now.

I do realise the OP was somewhat tongue-in-cheek but my point still stands.

in-fighting !dearie me, I would hardly call a joking thread ''in-fighting''

ps as to what goes on here it will not make a jot of difference to what happens on the pitch tomorrow

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I''m not sure if he is too powerful, but, I think he is equally to blame for the clubs predicament. As is Bowker.

I think we can justifiably question how well other members of the Board have fulfilled their roles this season.

I hope McNally and Bowker both have the decency to resign if we are relegated.[/quote]

Why? Because they got us 2 promotions and one relegation? I would''ve killed for that when we were in league 1. Or have you forgotten what it felt like back then? Perhaps you never knew.

Under hapless hughton he was way way to powerful. With hapless being his lap dog doing what ever he wanted.

The Messiah was not afraid to stand up to him. What a man he truly is. The greatest manager of all time even makes SAF look like Sunday league

You''re all missing the real question here, which is

Is Gentlefinger too soft?

Don''t know about you but my view is that any bowking needs to be delivered hard and timely, by a top class bowker.

Neil Adams'' green & yella army! COYY

[quote user="MancCanary"][quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I''m not sure if he is too powerful, but, I think he is equally to blame for the clubs predicament. As is Bowker.

I hope McNally and Bowker both have the decency to resign if we are relegated.[/quote]

Why? Because they got us 2 promotions and one relegation? I would''ve killed for that when we were in league 1. Or have you forgotten what it felt like back then? Perhaps you never knew.[/quote]

They got lucky with Lambert. Otherwise, we''d probably still be in League One.

They appointed Hughton. They got it horribly wrong.

It''s difficult to estimate how many millions that may have cost the club in the future. They''ve probably thrown away the clubs once chance to establish itself as a Premier League Club.

[quote user="City1st"]in-fighting !

dearie me, I would hardly call a joking thread ''in-fighting''

ps as to what goes on here it will not make a jot of difference to what happens on the pitch tomorrow

[/quote]

Dearie you as well.

My point was obvious. The OP was in jest and we realised it, but it was a pertinent point which I suggested is best left until after tomorrow.

Get it!

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"][quote user="MancCanary"][quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I''m not sure if he is too powerful, but, I think he is equally to blame for the clubs predicament. As is Bowker.

Why? Because they got us 2 promotions and one relegation? I would''ve killed for that when we were in league 1. Or have you forgotten what it felt like back then? Perhaps you never knew.[/quote]

They got lucky with Lambert. Otherwise, we''d probably still be in League One.

They appointed Hughton. They got it horribly wrong.

It''s difficult to estimate how many millions that may have cost the club in the future. They''ve probably thrown away the clubs once chance to establish itself as a Premier League Club.[/quote]

So they were "lucky" with Lambert but just got it wrong appointing Hughton?

That''s handy isn''t it? If it was pure luck appointing Lambert, why can''t it be just unlucky with Hughton? Massive double standards there.

You, my friend, should be thankful for what you''ve got, because you really sound like a spoilt brat talking like that.

[quote user="Salopian"]As chief executive officer, and full time, he is responsible for decision making in the club, as in any company.

His record has been good, until now at least. He decided on Lambert and then won him, he also managed the signings and negotiations over new players, once recommended by the manager.

The Hughton position seem to drag out too long, but I suspect that other directors dragged their heals on this, and he is not the only one to have blame.

All in all he has been a smart operator behind the scenes, building up the structure like the academy status and Colney improvements.

If we are relegated despite Neil Adams, then it would not surprise me if McN resigned. If he does I would be disappointed. He has steered a proper path between board and manager pretty well, and achieved a coup. When I think what we were like before he came..........[/quote]No. Not so. In any serious company the directors collectively are responsible for the decisions. McNally may have had delegated to him  many day to day and week to week decisions. But the big picture stuff, such as hiring and firing managers, is decided by the board, of which he is but one member.

Most boards in my experiecne have their own dynamic. Yes Directors are elected by shareholders to run a business , but smaller companies, such as the two I sit on, have some very "powerful" individuals and others less so, all sitting in on board meetings and making decisions.

We don''t know how these meetings are run, or who actually makes the decisions, but I think you under estimate Delia and Michael''s strength at your peril. A friend of mine did suggest that in times of financial peril, when the banks and creditors were perhaps able to make more demands, the strength of D and M subsided to some extent in terms of decision making , but now as the finances are strong, they may be enjoying a resurgence. We will probably never know.

If we believe that the question of management change was discussed in earlier times, we can only imagine the dynamics. Even in a straight vote you have DmcN, Foulger and Bowkett as likely to vote together perhaps? Then you have D and M, with S Fry (I assume he could vote he is after all a director?) and Stefan ex of Archant. All very interesting and pure guess work, but in order to make such a substantial change to a club as sacking the manager a lot of "ayes" need to be obtained.

Would it be fair to assume Fry agrees with Delia on everything? In which case that gives them a strong hand. A CEO doesn''t get any more votes than any other director.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

Most boards in my experiecne have their own dynamic. Yes Directors are elected by shareholders to run a business , but smaller companies, such as the two I sit on, have some very "powerful" individuals and others less so, all sitting in on board meetings and making decisions.

We don''t know how these meetings are run, or who actually makes the decisions, but I think you under estimate Delia and Michael''s strength at your peril. A friend of mine did suggest that in times of financial peril, when the banks and creditors were perhaps able to make more demands, the strength of D and M subsided to some extent in terms of decision making , but now as the finances are strong, they may be enjoying a resurgence. We will probably never know.

If we believe that the question of management change was discussed in earlier times, we can only imagine the dynamics. Even in a straight vote you have DmcN, Foulger and Bowkett as likely to vote together perhaps? Then you have D and M, with S Fry (I assume he could vote he is after all a director?) and Stefan ex of Archant. All very interesting and pure guess work, but in order to make such a substantial change to a club as sacking the manager a lot of "ayes" need to be obtained.

Would it be fair to assume Fry agrees with Delia on everything? In which case that gives them a strong hand. A CEO doesn''t get any more votes than any other director.

[/quote]A great deal of truth in those first two paragraphs. And not only do different boards of directors have different dynamics, but within particular boards those dynamics, the way power works, can change over time according to differing circumstances. Almost certainly, and in a predictable - and generally beneficial way - that is what has happened at NCFC over the last few years.