Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Scouting Thoughts.....

Norwich selected a very narrow diamond midfield. With Redmond playing in support of RvW. However, Redmond was also having to provide some width for the team on both flanks.RvW was often deep in midfield well behind attacking play. At times RvW didn''t even show any urgency to get into the box. I keep saying it but if RvW is going to play then he needs to be very high and central up the pitch.

On one of the few occasions that Norwich had good width and RvW got forwards in a central position, Olsson got in a good cross and RvW was in space presented with a good chance to score. In central midfield we looked very weak at trying to win the ball back. Neither Johnson, Fer, Howson, or Martin won any tackles in our half of the pitch. Howson had another poor match. Howson seems to lack the vision to create chances for others who were making good runs. Fer has better vision. Johnson spotted a couple of good opportunities but the passing was poor. Johnson missed a good chance to score, Fer nearly scored with a good header.Defending against Fulham should have been relatively simple because the main goal threat from Fulham is Rodallega who is good at getting into the box. In addition Sidwell is good at making late runs into the box.For the Fulham goal, Sidwell made a late run to beat RvW in the air and Rodallega was presented with a good chance to score.Despite Norwich substitutions being made the same problem persisted of the attacking play being too narrow enabling Fulham to close down spaces.This is the team that I would look to start against Liverpool:          Hooper         Snodgrass Jonas              Redmond       Fer   TetteyOlsson             Whittaker       Turner  Yobo            RuddyThen depending upon how long Fer could last:         Hooper        Snodgrass  Wes              Redmond      Jonas   TetteyOlsson             Whittaker       Turner  Yobo            Ruddy

Why on Earth would you pick Whittaker against a team with bags of pace? He got ripped to shreds yesterday by Kieran bloody Richardson. Imagine what Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge would do!
Martin is the obvious choice at RB.
I''m not surprised your career as a scout was imaginary.

[quote user="kick it off"]Why on Earth would you pick Whittaker against a team with bags of pace? He got ripped to shreds yesterday by Kieran bloody Richardson. Imagine what Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge would do!
I''m not surprised your career as a scout was imaginary.
[/quote][:D]

Agree with your team TC apart from Jonas (waste of finances.) What is supposed to be the problem with Pilks? He might want out but he is still being paid and can still kick a ball surely.

Also, we can''t leave Martin out. Should the almost inevitable happed he will be our stalwart and captain next season.

He has his limitations on the pitch but he cost nothing and has never flinched from the task. Exactly the kind of character we might need in the future if we have to aspire to mount a quick return.

tom, can you stop with the scouting reports please? I think you have a 100% loss rate since you started them

thanks

[quote user="kick it off"]Why on Earth would you pick Whittaker against a team with bags of pace? He got ripped to shreds yesterday by Kieran bloody Richardson. Imagine what Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge would do!

[/quote]

Martin was ripped to shreds by Routledge at Swansea. Martin struggles against pace just as much.

I really don''t get this thing where Martin is seen as clearly the better choice at RB. How many good games has he had there this season?

He seems to escape the criticism some other players get simply because he is seen as a good servant to the club.

You''ve got to have Howson in midfield with Fer. They are the two best midfielders at the club and without doubt one of the most costly factors in our decline this season has been the limited amount of times we''ve been able to field them together since Howson first got injured.

Similarly a return to our best combination at the heart of defence is needed - that''s Turner and Bassong. Get back to what made us strong. It seems to have been forgotten very quickly by some fans but hopefully NA will bring it back before our fate is sealed.

There isn''t much to choose between Martin or Whittaker. I would have preferred Norwich to have signed a good new right-back. Martin has often been caught-out of position so not being in a position to make a challenge. Over the last 11 matches that Martin has started he has only won 10 tackles. Whittaker has won 11 tackles from the last 2 matches that he has started.