Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Snodgrass work rate yesterday

Far from his best game, but his work rate yesterday was immense. Above and beyond that of anyone else in the team. At 90 minutes still running the length of the pitch just to put pressure on a full-back spoke volumes.

He''ll probably be one of the first players to leave at the end of the season. Either to Celtic or one of the newly promoted teams.

Fair play to him he''s one of the few players to come out of this season with any credibility.

God know who Hopeless and Van WankWank think are going to want to sign them.

the whole teams work rate was excellent yesterday. Unfortunately it did come with some ill discipline where we ended up with far too many players in a central position as both howson and fer moved to their preferred position and no one move into the space left behind

Our obsession with work rate is so misplaced. You should have commitment and it ios frustrating when its not there. Sadly its quality with the ball that actually counts, and snoddy was amongst the worst with it and missed that glaring chance. BJ is the epitome of his excellent effort costing the team with his relative lack of ability

Only the unfit Fer had much quality with it.

ZippersLeftFoot wrote the following post at 13/04/2014 10:23 AM:

the whole teams work rate was excellent yesterday. Unfortunately it did come with some ill discipline where we ended up with far too many players in a central position as both howson and fer moved to their preferred position and no one move into the space left behind

Our obsession with work rate is so misplaced. You should have commitment and it ios frustrating when its not there. Sadly its quality with the ball that actually counts, and snoddy was amongst the worst with it and missed that glaring chance. BJ is the epitome of his excellent effort costing the team with his relative lack of ability

Only the unfit Fer had much quality with it.

Excellent post and so, so true.

The longer the game went on the more frustrated we became and the more we lost our shape and discipline.

Those players who have an ability to work hard must try to work hard in their position and not try to do everybody else''s job and ruin the tactical play of the team.

If Snoddy covered more miles and did nothing with the ball then he is a certain POTS in most supporters eyes.

Step forward Croft!

Not a great fan of Snodgrass, I think his do everything attitude and relative slowness disrupts our attacks more than helps them.

My main hope with Adams was that we would revert to wingers playing on their correct wings (right foot right wing).

This inverted wingers does not work for us and is a contributory factor in the demise of ALL our strikers for the last 2 seasons.

Still Adams has another week to get his ideas across before we play a team with 2 men upfront( forgot teams dont play 2 up top these days!)

I''d rather have Snodgrass giving it 100% than Fer giving it whatever his percentage was-why on earth was he trying step overs in the middle of the pitch? Slowed up our attacks whenever he got on the ball, I know he has only just come back from injury but I think neither him nor Howson contributed much yesterday.

Yet again people''s complaints about Snodgrass yesterday is quality in the final 3rd. Who did have quality in the final third? No one!

That includes Fer. Fer tried to pass it through a defender directly in front of him on several occasions. In fact, the only balls that did seem to get us in behind were one''s from Bradley Johnson, and Snograss! See the ball over the top for Ollson as a good example of a decent ball from BJ.

The difference is despite the lack of quality from everyone in the final third, Snodgrass made that EXTRA effort and covered an additional MILE more than anyone else. That''s considerable - and commendable.

Snodgrass was brilliant yesterday. Chased everything, getting the crowd going, BUT mostly importantly always WANTED the ball. My POTS now.

Plenty good enough for the lower end of the prem. We wont keep him next year.

What Snoddy lacks in skill he more than makes up for with effort. I never question his desire and big heart, but obviously that is not enough at this level.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]What Snoddy lacks in skill he more than makes up for with effort. I never question his desire and big heart, but obviously that is not enough at this level.[/quote]Yes and what "Snoddy lacks in skill" is also lacking in the rest of the team as well. We lost 1-0 for the second week in a row so he''s certainly not the only one missing chances. If it''s all about pace why don''t we just nip down the Norwich Athletics Club and pick up their best 11 sprinters and put them up against Liverpool next week?

[quote user="Jimmy Bone - Superstar"]I don''t remember us playing with 12 men back then CR?

Perhaps we should try that again and maybe stay up!

(I''m looking at the team v 1p5wich in your first game).[/quote]Haha yes Fash came on as sub I recall... 3-3 those were the days!

I have no problem with Snodgrass, and for me he showed his class when he was out of form yet still gave 100% and in my view was important to the side even then just as a result of his high energy and potential to nick a goal with a free kick. He doesnt lack ability or skill, he has good feet and I really dont think he is as slow as ome make out.........with a bit of luck in the last two games when he hit the woodwork on free kicks we would have been in a much better position than we find ourselves in now....thats how fine the margins are and Snoddy would have been an absolute legend,  

[quote user="The Butler"]

If Snoddy covered more miles and did nothing with the ball then he is a

certain POTS in most supporters eyes.

[/quote]

Well it seems Rickyyyyy and Beardo, like me, are cursed with "most

supporters eyes".

Who has done more with the ball this season through the

eyes of the chosen few[:^)]

the most influential midfielder yesterday was Fer, linked play well, and created more openings than Snoddy. Fer was colossal in the first half and heading for our motm but lack of match fitness was evident in the second - when our overall play dropped as his contribution waned. Fers injury has shown how much we missed him.

As for cm - easily our best model is fer tettey & howson, - i hope we return to that next week, with snoddy in his best role, wide right.

Nige - when snoddy gets the ball more than any other attacking player who could possibly do more? His delivery has been too inconsistent to demand such a focus of attacking intent - I am with butler on this - he is a starter, but on the right and with less attention on attacking primarily through him.

As for who has done more with the ball this season, well Fer Johan and Redmond are strong candidates given that the see the ball far less and have all player far fewer games... yet his nager makes him pots?

Ruddy easily POTS for me.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Who has done more with the ball this season through the

eyes of the chosen few[:^)]

[/quote]My main issues with Snod1) He is very slow, really really slow... zero pace2) He plays really slowly! He is forever cutting back inside, from a standard push upfield, by the time any cross comes in the defense is set making things much more difficult for the strikers.3) The majority of our attacks go down his side, slowing our attacking play to a crawl and leaving us without the ability to score on the counter attack, or through quick breaks.Other than these issues, he is a very talented footballer, who more often than not looks likely to score from free kicks around the area. I think he would be excellent in a side like Swansea who retain the football well and build attacks slowly.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]  Ruddy easily POTS for me.[/quote]

I agree with most of your post anyway ZLF but just wanted to highlight that bit.

I find it very odd how overlooked Ruddy seems to be in the POTS reckoning.

Perhaps if he''d had a really poor first half of the season and then came good in the last couple of months he''d be in with a better shout.

I do wish people would remember it''s Player of the Season and not the last two months.

On Snodgrass on the right I would fully agree with CJF and also add that the delivery from the right (or even from the left from Redmond) rarely goes into the box BEHIND the defence, and this has been the main problem all season. This is why the six strikers that Chris Hughton brought in have scored eight goals between them. That method of attack leads to a striker''s graveyard.

We make it far too easy for defenders.

Be careful Zip, Foggy and GJ! Soon I won''t have "most supporters eyes".

I reckon Snoddy gets the ball more because he''s happy to receive it in a tight spot. He''s also strong enough to hold it under pressure. He looks for the ball and his team mates look for him. He is even the target for Ruddy''s long kicks. As the games have got tougher Snoddy has become more influentional. Some would say that''s because he''s found some form. Others would say it''s because as we get closer to the drop the ball becomes more and more of a hot potato. Now Redmond is a strong candidate for doing more. Wishful thinking? Probably! Fer is our best player. I''ve said that all season. But in a season where we''ve had so many no shows I''m happy to vote for the guy who never hides.

Ruddy? He''s had some great games and made some top class saves. Goalkeepers, unless your name''s Marshall, don''t win their fair share of Barry Butlers. I know King Kev won it twice but he probably deserved at least five! Greeno never won it. But I wouldn''t rubbish the claims of anyone who wanted to give it to Ruddy.

Olsson? What for?

Snodgrass was excellent. Was his final product always right? No. But he is not alone in that and we lack quality all across the pitch. Redmond and Murphy never seem likely to make the right decision but in Redmond and Snodgrass I saw two players in particular who played their hearts out and both collapsed at the final whistle. The amount of work and effort Snodgrass put in was absolutely exemplary.

Snodgrass POTS for me too. Never less than 100% and never hides when he is not playing well like some might. He also "gets it right" more often than most.