Sign in to follow this  
unique

RVW - deluded or frustrated?

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Alex "]That''s 100% frustration. Any normal City supporter wants to see him become a success, and boy was he unlucky with his perfectly timed volley on Saturday - let''s face it, the speed that ball came in he almost caught it too cleanly, but credit to Stockdale, that was one of the saves of the season (and I don''t think that''s the first time that''s happened to Ricky this season either). Me - deluded, whatever, but whilst he''s pulling on the green and yellow I''ll be willing him on 110% - logic tells me he needs a touch more confidence about himself as this has nothing to do with technical footballing skill - Louis van Gaal wouldn''t keep bothering to call him up that''s for sure. Something will go for him in the next 4 games, that I''m sure and then we could have an entirely different prospect on our hands for hopefully the remaining games, I''m just certain this is all down to confidence and nothing more.[/quote]I may have missed it but I thought RvW hadn''t been called up for the Netherlands squad for quite some time now, and had never been picked for a serious international match anyway. He was tried in a friendly and found wanting.[/quote]

He''s been called up several times to the squad, not that anyone will dislodge van Persie when fit. But how many games he''s played was not the point I was making as you know, Purple. If he was so useless he''d have been sent home from training by the KNVB the moment he''d kicked a ball. Anyone that suggests he has no talent must be seriously thick, it''s clear that something else is the reason we''ve not see him settle? For me it''s confidence, and let''s face it some of our ''fans'' have not helped at all, which is quite embarrassing to be frank with you.[/quote]He was called up last May for a friendly tour and last July for a 26-man squad for a friendly against Portugal. I don''t think he was named thereafter in any of the Dutch squads for World Cup qualifying games. You said van Gaal had kept calling him up and as far as I can see that just isn''t the case.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Well whatever he is, I just hope we see the back of him in summer. It''s not worked out at all. He seems a likable guy, but then so is my mate Dave and I wouldn''t want him playing up front for us, especially on £40k+ a week!

Time for him to find a new club and put the faliure down here as motivation for him to do better elsewhere. Perhaps in the long run he''ll be better for it. We might even see him score in the europa league one day against one of our countries big teams just like Dave Strihavka did the other year![/quote]Go back 15 years and I''m sure you were saying the same about Iwan after his first season. "Get rid, total waste of time, not worth the £1million we spent on him, toothless so and so couldn''t hit a barn door with a nail gun, etc, etc..........."Rather than get rid of a Dutch international because he''s had a bad season, playing in a bad team, managed by a bad manager, I would prefer to see the back of you in the summer.

J15asp mentioned Johnson''s superb ball to Olsson, whose cross was squeezed out by a defender in front of Snodgrass.

RVW was in the midfield area and supplied the short ball to Johnson. Watch his movement after he makes his pass. For a striker so lacking goals, he really does not show enough desire to get into the six yard box to make it difficult for defenders, and this is happening time and time again.

The best excuse I can offer for him is that he positions himself for a ''pulled-back'' cross......and for whatever reason, that never seems to happen.

What on earth has gone on during training sessions so far this season?

I don''t think his time our injured or the fact hughton played him as a loan striker for the majority of his time really helped the situation.

RvW is far from a loan striker, I personally think Adams take on the 4-3-3 will really suit him, given time. Weather he will get time or not is a whole different question!

I think what it comes down to... Is confidence, week in week out not scoring then an injury then to not score, with some great saves to deny the end of his draught, he is a proven striker and like most of the community it''s split on him but it''s plain to see his footballing mind, one goal could make the world of difference, and also another point to make is people have said he drops into midfield but that''s because he wants the ball.. And wants to create, my views have fluctuated all season, I for one want him for next season for him to not repay us because he doesn''t need to repay us with the flack but to prove himself to know he can make norwich a great club.

RVW simply isn''t good enough, that''s the bottom line.

The fact that he may have been unlucky is immaterial - his movement is substandard even by League One standards, therefore that''s the main reason why he has only scored one goal.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Saying what I do on here, I''d still love to be proven wrong by him and I''d never boo him at a game. I feel he needs to be showing more for us though and i feel the need to vent my frustration with it on here.[/quote]

Fair play Jimmy, I just think (as clearly some others do) that there are ways to be constructive in criticisms of players performance without the need to start slagging them personally, after all they''re one of our own and we should be onside with the lads, we should be helping them as best we can when they''re not getting the rub of the green. Iwan''s first season with us seems like yesterday to me - and look how the big fella turned out!. It would be great if we could all show unity for these last few games - we know some of the players visit these boards and they need to know we''re right behind them for this challenging run in. I personally think they''ll step up to the plate - and good vibes from us lot will do them the world of good, and that especially goes for the likes of Ricky. OTBC