Sign in to follow this  
unique

RVW - deluded or frustrated?

A pattern is starting to emerge.

If RVW starts a game, it''s pretty much a guarantee he won''t finish it.....and almost 100% guarantee he won''t score.

Yet after he''s trudged off the pitch, his shirt hits the deck with greater frequency than the ball hits the back of the net.......

So does he feel his contribution justifies ninety minutes of football each week, or is he merely frustrated at firing blanks over the last 20 hours of football?

Is it petulance or frustration?

Frustration I think. He probably harboured hopes of going to the World Cup and has probably never encountered such difficulty with his football. These are probably all new experiences for him and he doesnt know what he can do about it. I wouldnt be surprised if he was depressed. he doesnt come across as egotistical, just frustration I think. I feel for him, on any other day that volley he had would have gone in

I agree - as poor as he''s been, he''s also been very unlucky with some goal attempts this season - lots of great saves to keep out his chances. I''m depressed for him, so god knows how he must feel. Whatever happens, he''ll be here next season though, so we have to support him and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Everyone has to remember how happy we were to sign him and Hooper, and realise that they are both quality finishers. They didn''t become such expensive players by sheer chance, so it''s up to our new coaching team to get the other players creating the chances for them.

As good as we were in that first half, we still weren''t peppering the area with crosses. I love Snoddy, but I think it is time to play Redmond on the right and see if he can cross with his right foot!

That''s 100% frustration. Any normal City supporter wants to see him become a success, and boy was he unlucky with his perfectly timed volley on Saturday - let''s face it, the speed that ball came in he almost caught it too cleanly, but credit to Stockdale, that was one of the saves of the season (and I don''t think that''s the first time that''s happened to Ricky this season either). Me - deluded, whatever, but whilst he''s pulling on the green and yellow I''ll be willing him on 110% - logic tells me he needs a touch more confidence about himself as this has nothing to do with technical footballing skill - Louis van Gaal wouldn''t keep bothering to call him up that''s for sure. Something will go for him in the next 4 games, that I''m sure and then we could have an entirely different prospect on our hands for hopefully the remaining games, I''m just certain this is all down to confidence and nothing more.

He''s summed up our season, i''d agree it''s frustration, but we gambled signing strikers with no Premiership experience and it failed. I wonder what is next for RVW, I fear his year with us has damaged his promising career beyond repair and he''ll be lucky to play at the top level again.

But for the extraordinary save by the Fulham keeper, he would have scored on Saturday.

I think that he has done well to remain confident this season, with the poor service he has generally received. We seem incapable to playing the kind of balls which suit his game. By now he must be frustrated.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Sod loaning him out, if we are going to get rid, get shot of him properly.[/quote]

A bit harsh?

He might have missed a few chances but killing him seems way over the top.

Frustration almost certainly. He doesn''t come over as the average full of himself footballer.

His future can now go two ways. Club and player write the whole business off and cut their losses or he stays on accepts Championship football and will likely become a fan''s favourite.

For the former, we will probably get £2 for him from a Euro club. For the latter I''m assuming we are doomed and would hope we keep as many of the current squad as possible.

Apparently, they have to accept relegation clauses in their contracts and some won''t (Snoddy?) The club could offer a massive bonus if we yo-yo, enough to cover the players'' shortfall. This lot will not struggle in the Chumps. We were superior to Fulham by a mile and they seem likely to stay up at our expense.

If RvW is depressed, I mean genuinely, and I dont think thats at all unlikely, would we be gracious enough as supporters to ''support him'' as he works his way through? I think this has been a difficult season for many of the players, but RvW particularly doesnt look with it at all, epitomised by his pass to noone int he penalty area. Could we be gracious enough to forget our own anger and frustrations and support him as he tries to turn things around? Me personally I would

If he is frustrated then he should be so with himself. What I saw on Saturday was a player not willing to push forward and someone you could barely assign the word striker too.

He dropped back into central midfield positions where there were already three city players and left a complete void so when Snodgrass or Redmond got free and forward and on one counter in the first half in particular he was nowhere to be seen. He just doesn''t show for it. He sometimes gets back and tackles in the full back positions which is all well and good for showing effort but he is playing with no tactical intelligence at all in order to try and get some credit.

If he was to actually play through the middle there is an option for the midfield. Instead, nothing happens as we do not have the pace or power in central midfield to get forward and support, we bring on Hooper and then start slinging the ball up high to him which he stands no chance with against the likes of Hangeland and Diarra. In effect we have wasted 60 minutes with a striker not playing his position and making it more unlikely we will score.

I am beginning to thibnk we have to go for broke now and remove Johnson for Hoolahan so there is some attacking support with the obvious consequence being leaving less support at the back. Johnson does a decent job but his distribution is lacking far too often sadly. OK against Liverpool we will probably be ripped to pieces doing that but we probably would anyway. However, against Arsenal and Man United I think it needs to be seriously considered so that there is support for whoever the striker is.

Well whatever he is, I just hope we see the back of him in summer. It''s not worked out at all. He seems a likable guy, but then so is my mate Dave and I wouldn''t want him playing up front for us, especially on £40k+ a week!

Time for him to find a new club and put the faliure down here as motivation for him to do better elsewhere. Perhaps in the long run he''ll be better for it. We might even see him score in the europa league one day against one of our countries big teams just like Dave Strihavka did the other year!

Jimmy, he''s not had the most successful start to life in the Premier League, but incase you''ve not noticed, and you appear not to have, every single one of us can see that believe it or not - your non stop bashing of someone whom you so eloquently refer to as ''Ricky Van Dogsdick'' is tiresome, why not leave it out and try backing him for once, we can all see what you''re saying but if you can give me a reason why you feel your relentless negative posts towards him are helpful then I''m sure we''ll all tip our hats to you.

''Useless'' or whatever you think of him (and we''ve all got the picture) get behind the lad whilst he''s here ffs - he is one of a million talented footballers that has not got off to a flying start at a new club, and whatever you say - all is far from lost with him yet, he could well end up a hero for us in these last 4 games, and that''s something factually you can''t say won''t happen thankfully. Bring on Sunday OTBC

Ditto

This venom directed at RVW has become obscene.

Not appropriate and self-destructive. I''m at a loss to discover what exactly goes through such people''s heads. 

He''s not getting hardly any service. I think if he''d played in a run of games together with Fer then he''d be off the mark already. He''s in a false position after a rum old season.

It''s really becoming painful to watch.

Clearly the boy has talent - you don''t play for Holland otherwise.

I''ve been able to watch the lads training a few times this season, and he really is a completely different player there. Clinical in front of goal.

That said, admittedly where it counts he just seems lost and completely bereft of any confidence.

Obviously this partly comes from taking time to adjust, and not scoring a goal. But I think us fans have to take some of the blame for his lack of confidence too. At Fulham on Saturday, a group of blokes near me were jeering everything he did, good or bad - how is this ever going to help!??! Anybody can see that this has clearly affected him, and he now seems scared to make a mistake.

For me, this is clearly a case for one of the sports psychologists...

[quote user="Alex "]That''s 100% frustration. Any normal City supporter wants to see him become a success, and boy was he unlucky with his perfectly timed volley on Saturday - let''s face it, the speed that ball came in he almost caught it too cleanly, but credit to Stockdale, that was one of the saves of the season (and I don''t think that''s the first time that''s happened to Ricky this season either). Me - deluded, whatever, but whilst he''s pulling on the green and yellow I''ll be willing him on 110% - logic tells me he needs a touch more confidence about himself as this has nothing to do with technical footballing skill - Louis van Gaal wouldn''t keep bothering to call him up that''s for sure. Something will go for him in the next 4 games, that I''m sure and then we could have an entirely different prospect on our hands for hopefully the remaining games, I''m just certain this is all down to confidence and nothing more.[/quote]I may have missed it but I thought RvW hadn''t been called up for the Netherlands squad for quite some time now, and had never been picked for a serious international match anyway. He was tried in a friendly and found wanting.

[quote user="Daniel Taylor"]

If he is frustrated then he should be so with himself. What I saw on Saturday was a player not willing to push forward and someone you could barely assign the word striker too.

He dropped back into central midfield positions where there were already three city players and left a complete void so when Snodgrass or Redmond got free and forward and on one counter in the first half in particular he was nowhere to be seen. He just doesn''t show for it. He sometimes gets back and tackles in the full back positions which is all well and good for showing effort but he is playing with no tactical intelligence at all in order to try and get some credit.

If he was to actually play through the middle there is an option for the midfield. Instead, nothing happens as we do not have the pace or power in central midfield to get forward and support, we bring on Hooper and then start slinging the ball up high to him which he stands no chance with against the likes of Hangeland and Diarra. In effect we have wasted 60 minutes with a striker not playing his position and making it more unlikely we will score.

I am beginning to thibnk we have to go for broke now and remove Johnson for Hoolahan so there is some attacking support with the obvious consequence being leaving less support at the back. Johnson does a decent job but his distribution is lacking far too often sadly. OK against Liverpool we will probably be ripped to pieces doing that but we probably would anyway. However, against Arsenal and Man United I think it needs to be seriously considered so that there is support for whoever the striker is.

[/quote]I agree with Daniel that a big part of his problem is that he must stay in a Striking position and not keep dropping into midfield. He needs to be more of what we used to call a goal hanger. Remember Ted Macdougall? A proper goal hanger who did very little other than score. And why did he score? Because he was always in the right place when the ball came into the area.However, Daniel, I''m not so sure about Hoolahan coming in for Johnson. Agreed that Johnson can be wayward at times and missed a real good chance on Saturday, however he also played a delightful ball over the defence for Olson to run on to and his effort and strength is not in question. Hoolahan on the other hand has looked poor in the last 2 games.Passes going astray and easily dispossessed.  Fer looked strong but when he was replaced by Hoolahan we looked a lot weaker in midfield. Don''t get me wrong, I think Hoolahan on his day is brilliant, it''s just that he only seems to do it occasionally nowadays. I think we''d all love for RVW to be a success but sadly I don''t think it will happen.

[quote user="Mycroft Holmes"]It''s really becoming painful to watch.

Clearly the boy has talent - you don''t play for Holland otherwise.

I''ve been able to watch the lads training a few times this season, and he really is a completely different player there. Clinical in front of goal.

That said, admittedly where it counts he just seems lost and completely bereft of any confidence.

Obviously this partly comes from taking time to adjust, and not scoring a goal. But I think us fans have to take some of the blame for his lack of confidence too. At Fulham on Saturday, a group of blokes near me were jeering everything he did, good or bad - how is this ever going to help!??! Anybody can see that this has clearly affected him, and he now seems scared to make a mistake.

For me, this is clearly a case for one of the sports psychologists.
..[/quote]

Agreed, but can the club afford sports psychologists for 24,000 City fans?   [:^)]

I think RvW''s problem is that we''ve not used him in the right way.I think he''s a six yard box poacher.  Nothing wrong with that, a lot of the top scorers are.  But they can''t do the job alone.What we need is a big strong target man that RvW/Hooper/Becchio can play off and/or a midfield who can supply the crosses or through balls into the box.That''s why at the moment, the first name on my team sheet would be Elmander because he''s the closest thing that we have to a target man, and the second name would be Hoolahan as he''s the most likely to create something for the strikers.As for psychology, I think the whole club - board / management / players / fans need the certainty of knowing what division we''re in next season and then some time off to plan.  The world cup will be a welcome distraction.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Alex "]That''s 100% frustration. Any normal City supporter wants to see him become a success, and boy was he unlucky with his perfectly timed volley on Saturday - let''s face it, the speed that ball came in he almost caught it too cleanly, but credit to Stockdale, that was one of the saves of the season (and I don''t think that''s the first time that''s happened to Ricky this season either). Me - deluded, whatever, but whilst he''s pulling on the green and yellow I''ll be willing him on 110% - logic tells me he needs a touch more confidence about himself as this has nothing to do with technical footballing skill - Louis van Gaal wouldn''t keep bothering to call him up that''s for sure. Something will go for him in the next 4 games, that I''m sure and then we could have an entirely different prospect on our hands for hopefully the remaining games, I''m just certain this is all down to confidence and nothing more.[/quote]I may have missed it but I thought RvW hadn''t been called up for the Netherlands squad for quite some time now, and had never been picked for a serious international match anyway. He was tried in a friendly and found wanting.[/quote]

He''s been called up several times to the squad, not that anyone will dislodge van Persie when fit. But how many games he''s played was not the point I was making as you know, Purple. If he was so useless he''d have been sent home from training by the KNVB the moment he''d kicked a ball. Anyone that suggests he has no talent must be seriously thick, it''s clear that something else is the reason we''ve not see him settle? For me it''s confidence, and let''s face it some of our ''fans'' have not helped at all, which is quite embarrassing to be frank with you.

Saying what I do on here, I''d still love to be proven wrong by him and I''d never boo him at a game. I feel he needs to be showing more for us though and i feel the need to vent my frustration with it on here.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Ditto

Not appropriate and self-destructive. I''m at a loss to discover what exactly goes through such people''s heads. 

[/quote]

Spot on Broadstairs.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Ditto

[/quote]

Spot on Broadstairs.