Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

On paper best team

On paper and with every player we have fit and on form, this would be my pick for our best eleven players.  To my uneducated eyes, we look too unbalanced as a team usually, Ollson often ploughing a lonesome road on the left and the ball going too often out to Snodgrass, who slows it all down. 

Ruddy  R. Bennett  Martin  Turner  OllsonE.Bennett  Tettey Howson Fer Redmond                      Hooper

I like Martin in central defence and if captain, that is where he needs to be.  R. Bennett is a useful right back too.  Yobo and Gutierrez I like but are loan players.   Bassong looks to be short of confidence.   Hoolahan and Snodgrass drive me mad -  creative at their best, but their worst they are liabilities.  Johnson hasn''t improved enough, although he has improved. 

So for reliability, pace, goal scoring potential and defensive cover, this would be my top eleven.   RVW would be in there - if he could only get a goal or two to boost his confidence. 

Adams may have different ideas to Hughton, but the players are the same, so what would your best eleven be? 

Yes,

I like Snoddy, good at set pieces, has scored some good goals, but ( and it is something that drives me crazy) he has a nack of stopping on the ball, slowing play down, whilst Benno is better at running to line and getting in the cross.

As Eadie pointed out yesterday I believe 10 of the 11 goals on Saturday started from crosses.

That''s why. Not anti Snoddy, just pro the quick cross.

I like Bennett, but he wasn''t brilliant under Lambert and was scandalously underused by Hughton.What he does offer is genuine pace, and orthodox wing-play from the right.   Something different to the rest of the squad.As an aside, although Hughton used to like playing him there, he was awful on the left wing.

Ryan Bennett at right back. I just need to check, is that a joke?

[quote user="GJP"]Ryan Bennett at right back. I just need to check, is that a joke?[/quote]

He has played right back - and for us too - and was ok there, but I would like to see Martin as regular centre back.  If Whittaker could get his act together, I''d put him at right back.

[quote user="lake district canary"]He has played right back - and for us too - and was ok there, but I would like to see Martin as regular centre back.  If Whittaker could get his act together, I''d put him at right back.

[/quote]I like the idea of Yobo and Turner in Central Defense. If we do stay in this league we need a new right back asap.  I would pick R Martin as the current least worst option as Whittaker has been poor this season.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GJP"]Ryan Bennett at right back. I just need to check, is that a joke?[/quote]

He has played right back - and for us too - and was ok there, but I would like to see Martin as regular centre back.  If Whittaker could get his act together, I''d put him at right back.

[/quote]

Martin isn''t dominant enough to be a regular CB at this level (and hopefully we will stay at this level).

And R Bennett isn''t a good choice for right back. He''s got nothing to offer going forward and the far more mobile Martin and Whittaker find it hard enough dealing with wingers.

My best 11 isn''t far from yours to be honest i would only change the defence and would push Howson just in front of the other central midfielders as he can pick a pass at will and would deliver for hooper.

My team would be:

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Yobo Ollson

E.Bennett Tettey Fer Redmond

Howson

Hooper

I would agree with dropping Snodgrass that would also stop us being so predicable with every goal kick or free kick from in our half we look straight for snoddy who either then doesn''t do anything or doesn''t win it

Again I agree with you about Hoolahan, He hasn''t done anything worthy of even a place on the bench in my eyes, he''s too weak and looses the ball far to often, people go on about RVW being light weight should have a hard look at Wes.

-------------------------Ruddy-----------------------------

Whittaker-------Martin-------Turner-----Olsson----

-------------------------Tettey-----------------------------

------------Snodgrass---------Fer----------------------

-------------------------Howson--------------------------

---------------RVW-----------Redmond----------------

On paper, Ricky is the star striker. Having watched him many times (on tv), he''s got a fantastic touch, find the space, doesn''t need many chances, has played as a lone striker, has a quick turn of pace.......football isn''t played on paper as they say though

On paper, without Snodgrass, we''d have how many goals/fewer points? I know the point you are making but if stating some facts, at least keep them in the real world. We''d be bottom without him today.

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Tettey Johnson

Fer

Snodgrass Hooper Redmond

I don''t think they''re are best players but I do think they are

the best team. Or at least the team we should play in the last four games.

Tetty/Johnson will be seen as negative and I fully expect to be shot down. But

these two played in the victories over Arsenal and man Utd last season and Spurs

and the draw with Citeh this season. Tettey can break up play and has great

energy. Johnson is the insurance that lets the full backs get forward to add

width. Football always has been and always will be a team game.

Elliot Bennett would appear to be a good fit at right wing back, or whatever they call it. He tackles well and has pace and crossing ability. I feel he is quite a bright player also.

This is one to be salted away for the future. Whatever that may bring.

If we''re going on facts, how can you then say we would have done worse without him in the team? Thats like saying ''we''d go down with hughton still in charge,'' Whereas you don''t know, its an opinion. Your opinion is based on facts i''m sure, just like people who say hughton would''ve taken us down base (mostly) their opinion on our form, or at least out form away from home.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]If we''re going on facts, how can you then say we would have done worse without him in the team? Thats like saying ''we''d go down with hughton still in charge,'' Whereas you don''t know, its an opinion. Your opinion is based on facts i''m sure, just like people who say hughton would''ve taken us down base (mostly) their opinion on our form, or at least out form away from home.[/quote]

I know it wasn''t aimed at me , but can I have a translation please Mrs,M?

[quote user="Pitchforks and Torches"]On paper, without Snodgrass, we''d have how many goals/fewer points? I know the point you are making but if stating some facts, at least keep them in the real world. We''d be bottom without him today.[/quote]Snoddy for all his faults HAS been our most effective and creative outlet over the season, far surpassing any other player in regards to chances created and he''s weighed in with goals as well.The counter-argument to this would be that we ''could'' have played better and been more balanced as a team if we didn''t focus so much through him on the right (which is why he tends to create more - he''s seeing much more of the ball).I have to admit that I''m laughing about the constant selections of E.Bennett on the right, apparently being out for a season and being very inconsistent the season before suddenly makes you a world beater and better than one of last seasons POTS...Also, R.Bennett at right back and Martin at CB.....WTF have you been smoking LDC???

Indy, it went through my mind long before his injury that E. Bennett is perfectly  equipped as a right wing back.

His defensive tackling was superb at times  and  although there''s probably not enough to his game to be a  right sided midfielder (whatever it is called now) on a permanent basis, I feel he is destined to become a successful full-back with attacking prowess.

This concept is useful for us.

LDC...Snodgrass "a liability"...are you sure? .....and Martin at CB and Bennett at RB in our strongest side? ......

That said, I really havnt a clue what our strongest eleven would be, as it does depend on the opposition we are playing.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

LDC...Snodgrass "a liability"...are you sure? .....and Martin at CB and Bennett at RB in our strongest side? ......

That said, I really havnt a clue what our strongest eleven would be, as it does depend on the opposition we are playing.

[/quote]

I did say the opposite about Snodgrass too - he can be very good and has scored goals - but it is a mixed bag with him.  Because he is so dominant at getting the ball  for free kicks corners etc - and because he hangs on to the ball too long when he gets it - it appears that everything we do is affected by what he does, so if its good its fine, if its bad, we look amateurish.   Its like the kid at school who thinks he''s better than everyone else so pushes his way to do everything.     I  was really looking forward to this season without him being such a dominant figure - with E. Bennett providing some orthodox wing play - and that looked to be happening at Everton in the first game of the season, when Snoddy was out.

I don''t dislike Snodgrass and I think he has improved this season, but still think that whatever he does - good or bad - is what shapes our performances. He was woeful against WBA in the first half-hour at giving the ball away and poor delivery - with us getting in several good positions.   As I said, everything, good or bad goes through him. 

I am like several others, and feel that Redmond''s best position is not on the left. He gets down the field well, but then can''t cross accurately with his left foot, so has to cut inside, with the result that strikers will not meet a ball pulled back, but one over their shoulders - harder for strikers, easier for defenders.

We have only one winger capable of playing a full game naturally on the left, and that is Josh. If he is not considered good enough, then Olsson playing wide left is the next best option, even if it means Garrido coming in at LB.

I would play Redmond on the right wing, although Bennett when fully fit will be up to him in effectiveness. As a consequence, I would play Snodgrass in the centre, as Scotland have.

We need pace and good crosses from each wing, and not the inverse wingers, needing to cut inside to put the ball on their stronger foot and then cross diagonally, rather then by pull back. If we play two natural wingers, it means that opponents will have to leave back fullbacks and even midfielders because of the threat down the wings, thus weakening their attacking ability.

[quote user="Salopian"]We have only one winger capable of playing a full game naturally on the left, and that is Josh.[/quote]Looks like someone has forgotten about Pilks...

Ruddy
  Martin Turner Bassong Olsson
 Snodgrass Howson Fer Redmond
                 Hoolahan
                 Hooper

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Salopian"]We have only one winger capable of playing a full game naturally on the left, and that is Josh.[/quote]Looks like someone has forgotten about Pilks...[/quote]

Looks like he''s forgotten about himself. He''s a shadow of the player he was last season.

[quote user="Hopeless Hughton"]Ryan Bennett at RB & Elliott Bennett over Snodgrass, is this a windup ???[/quote]

Do you actually bother to read threads through, or do you just shout your mouth off as soon as you see something you don''t understand?