Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Wingbacks Vs Liverpool

Didnt Sunderland play that against Liverpool and i think it nearly paid off, think it limited the space Suarez and Sturridge had in front of them. I think we have the defenders to play 5 at the back. I would say:

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Fer Howson

But does that mean theres no place for Redmond or Snodgrass and can we really go 2 up top.

Or do you think we will 4231 ?

[quote user="Hopeless Hughton"]Didnt Sunderland play that against Liverpool and i think it nearly paid off, think it limited the space Suarez and Sturridge had in front of them. I think we have the defenders to play 5 at the back. I would say:

Ruddy

Fer Howson

But does that mean theres no place for Redmond or Snodgrass and can we really go 2 up top.

Or do you think we will 4231 ?[/quote]

Surely you''re not thinking of dropping Snodgrass?  Is this a wind up? [;)] [;)]

Its not a matter of dropping Snodgrass its a way of fitting him into a different system. He may fit into that system, i dont know whether he would fit in the midfield 3 or maybe as support to the striker.

You did a thread on our best team on paper and i said you cant have e.bennett over snodgrass. Im not asking what is our best eleven on paper. Football is a game of different tactics, formations, lineups etc. Something i feel Lambert was good at was changing his tactics and lineups to suit the opposition, and i hope Adams is the same. Hughtons downfall was he set up the same whoever we played.

Most teams that play 3 at the back in the Premier League this season have played with 2 strikers in a 5-3-2/3-5-2 formation. Hull, who are the only team that have used a back three in the vast majority of their games, often line up like this:
                               McGregor

Elmohamady Chester Davies Figueroa Rosenior 
             Livermore Huddlestone Meyler

Long      Jelavic  
So us playing a similar system would look something like
                            Ruddy
Whitaker Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Howson  Tettey  Fer

Hooper    RVW.

Hopeless Hughton wrote the following post at 14/04/2014 12:06 PM:

Its not a matter of dropping Snodgrass its a way of fitting him into a different system. He may fit into that system, i dont know whether he would fit in the midfield 3 or maybe as support to the striker.

But what you seem to be saying is that we must fit him in!

We have been doing that for too long. The whole system we have played this season, which has left us where we are now, has been one to accommodate Snodgrass on the right.

It has not worked.

I will agree he has many good points to his game but even he is not as important as the team.

If the manager wants to send out a team for a specific purpose he should pick the best team, which may not include all the best players.

We know from our own extensive experiences of the diamond formation that it is fallible and that with all that attacking intent, it can leave big holes behind in midfield.

Hull of course beat Liverpool at their place. I guess you have to decide if you''re going to try and neutralise them with somethign like a 5-3-2 system or 4-1-4-1 that might take advantage of the narrowness of their diamond without giving away your own solidity.

if we match liverpool and go:

-----------------------ruddy-------------------

Martin-------Yobo--------Turner----Olsson

----------------------Tettey---------------------

------Fer---------------------------Howson----

--------------------redmond---------------------

----------Wolfswinkel-----Hooper-----------

Could be interesting, would we get torn to shreds? The midfield 3 of fer, tettey and howson (or whoever plays) will have be disciplined. (the defence is just an example, I don''t know who i would play)

I would imagine that it would be far too risky to go 2 up top when only having four at the back. I Think they would find to much space. I think we either go wingbacks or pack the midfield.

Ruddy

Fer Howson Johnson

Redmond Hooper

or

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Turner Olsson

Johnson Fer

Redmond Howson Snodgrass

Hooper

Of course, that''s the other option, to try and match them up.

Tempted top think even if that worked they would switch to a 5 man midfield mid game. Rodgers might be tempted to start that way anyway withouth Henderson and Sturridge. The diamond vs a high quality 5 man midfield can get torn to shreds, exploiting holes in midfield, as Lambert''s diamond demonstrated for us a few times! I would be nervous with that.

Why not Tetter and Fer

Martin-Bassong-Yobo-Olsson

----------Tettey---Fer----------

Snodgrass--Howson--Redmond

----------Hooperman-----------

We''ve tended to do well against the big teams by being quite tight, perhaps we ought to try a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey in front of the back four. We''d have to hope we can play better than a Hughton team on the break, otherwise our penalty area will be like Rorke''s Drift.

Going with five across the back/wing backs crossed my mind when I was watching the match yesterday, with the right players it might work, but would probably just end up with a park the bus, backs to the wall type performance. I quite like the idea of the 4-1-4-1 and am going to throw a curved ball in and suggest that the man who goes up front is Snodgrass......got a good engine, eye for the goal and good feet......might be better than what RVW or even Hooper could do in the role, other than dare I say perhaps Elmander.

I wonder whether it''s worth trying Olsson on the left wing, Garrido at left back and Snodgrass in the middle just behind the striker? Olsson would then give us added security in defence as well as ability to put in early crosses.