Sign in to follow this  
Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger

Is getting relegated so awful?

I think, like many, I enjoyed our season in league 1 and the Championship, but the fact is, I doubt the success we enjoyed would be repeated. We had a "perfect storm" of the right group of players and the right manager that made for two amazing seasons. League one especially, it was nice to be the big fish for a change, but the fact is, as hard work as it is, our club needs to be in the Premiership. The stats bear out just how hard it is to bounce back from the Championship, once relegated, so given an option, I''d rather avoid it.

And yet you wanted CH to stay on as manager months after he should have been removed, making your opinion worthless to this discussion.

Add to that the fact we hsd 3, not 2, amazing seasons with Lambert at the helm. We had almost 2 very disappointing seasons with the guy you knew would be here until at least season''s end, at which point if we avoided relegation (if? HA HA) he would be welcomed to stick around for another year of frustration, and boredom.

But I don''t know anything about the game.

Yes, particularly as we''ve had every opportunity to remain in the Premiership. Starting off the back of an 11th place finish with our most expensive squad ever there''s no reason why we shouldn''t have been safe by now.

I don''t know about you but I would much rather watch Citeh, Man U, Liverpool at Carrow road than Brentford, Huddersfield and Watford.

Maybe I''m looking at this far too positively but... we have a number of talented youngsters getting to the age where they need to play league football. I think they would ultimately have had a few sub appearances in the Premiership while we buy players from abroad  before moving to a Championship side to make up for lost time. If we are in the Championship for a few seasons they will have far more chance to make the breakthrough and the talent would not be wasted. The blind panic to survive in the Premiership really hampers natural progression as short-term-ism prevails. Would Derby have been able to bed in their youth players if they were scrapping it out to stay in the Premiership for example.

The exteme difficulty of getting out of the Champoinship seems to be passing people bye in their frenzy to seemingly accept that we are down.

If all this energy could be turned into a fight for survival it would make so much more sence.

I guess its just too hard for some people.

my my Jenkins, what a wonderfully patronising post you provide. Maybe if I try really hard and really think maybe I could find it less difficult to imagine how hard it is to get out of the division.My point isn''t about getting out of the division straight away and back to the short-term panic of surviving in the Premiership. I''m talking about taking the time to evaluate everyone in the squad a possibly bring in some of the youngsters to realise their talent rather.

Maybe I''m looking at this far too positively but... we have a number of talented youngsters getting to the age where they need to play league football. I think they would ultimately have had a few sub appearances in the Premiership while we buy players from abroad  before moving to a Championship side to make up for lost time. If we are in the Championship for a few seasons they will have far more chance to make the breakthrough and the talent would not be wasted. The blind panic to survive in the Premiership really hampers natural progression as short-term-ism prevails. Would Derby have been able to bed in

their youth players if they were scrapping it out to stay in the

Premiership for example. - hertfordyellow

Maybe?!?!?!

How do Prem mainstays manage to get their up-and-comers some playing time without shooting themselves in the foot? By loading them out. As we already do. Declan Rudd, anybody?

Jiminy Jesus Christ, you can''t seriously think relegation is the answer!

As other people say have people forgotten how much of an pain that league is to get out of? 9 years to go back up the first time and 6 years along with a stint in league 1 the second time.

Looking at teams who have gone down from prem only 6 who went down in six seasons between 2006-2012 have come back up since (will be 7 if burnley get promotion). While a fair few (sheffield utd, wolves, charlton) have ended up in league 1.

Wouldn''t want to go down under any circumstances. Ok so you may have abit of a glass ceiling in the Prem as to how high you can finish but wouldn''t people rather see the likes of chelsea and liverpool rather than Huddersfield and brentford? It''ll also be back to having 30 second highlights on the football league show and even worse punditry by steve claridge than what we get on motd

Not intended to be patronising Hertford, we all want some of the great lads in the accademy to do well, much better done within a premier league set up however.

What do you think the effect of relegation (and all this wonderfull development time away from the Prem and the money it provides) will have on our Accademy?

Don''t think anyone is saying relegation is great, unbunch your panties man. All I''m saying is it could be an opportunity to bring that youth team through while we are there. Its called looking for positives rather than saying it is a positive scenario. The opening post is called "is getting relegated so awful?" not "getting relegated will be great" suggesting that there are some opportunities in the midst of the disappointing scenario rather than saying it is the best thing for the club.

Will the academy have chances within the Premiership environment? I would suggest very little. Relegation would offer MORE opportunity for younger players in my opinion. I''ll give you example, while in the Premiership Newcastle were going to sell Carroll for 1m because he couldn''t break in. When they went down, he got more opportunity, shined and eventually was sold for 35m.Apart from Southampton, is there any team that is regularly bringing through talent in the premiership? in the Championship there are quite a few.

The OP was: is getting relegated so awful?

Torquay and Northampton losing their league status is awful. The losing team in the Conference play off will feel awful.

But if we are to be relegated to the Championship it will be very unfortunate because we have had a losing season and disappointing performances.

We will have dropped a league but with a healthy financial prospectus. We will receive the first part of the ultimate £60M (if we don''t go staight back up). We will still get home gates of 23-24K. We will not have to invest in ground enlargement. It should mean reduced prices for spectators (if it doesn''t then the board of NCFC are very naughty). And it should mean a new management team with fresh ideas and a different squad of players, hopefully made up of some very promising youngsters.

Perhaps then, players like Redmond can be told to do just what they appear to be good at which is going past players and not stop look up pass it to the full back or inside to a midfielder just for the sake of passing. And perhaps he will be on hos natural side of the pitch because the management team won''t be copying most of the other prem league line ups.

Lets not forget that Palace were in administration four years ago. They will survive the drop this season. Many supporters don''t like the Pulis way of playing but does that then mean that those who think relegation is so awful would like to see NCFC play that style?

Maybe for 4 games?

[quote user="Jenkins"]Of the 20 cat one academies 15 are Pl sides, how long will we keep our cat 1 if we go down?[/quote]I''m not talking long term i''m talking particularly about this youth cup winning team. Also what about the other 5 teams? why haven''t they disgarded theirs?Reading got their category one status in July 2013 while they were in Championship.