Sign in to follow this  
Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger

Is getting relegated so awful?

I don''t think so. Eight more games. Chance to renew hostilities with Leeds, Wolves and, of course, Ipswich. Far more competitive and interesting league. Better away days. Fixture list less buggered about by TV. A return to "real football" rattan the nauseatingly corporate McPremier League Inc TM.

What''s not to like?

[quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"]I don''t think so. Eight more games. Chance to renew hostilities with Leeds, Wolves and, of course, Ipswich. Far more competitive and interesting league. Better away days. Fixture list less buggered about by TV. A return to "real football" rattan the nauseatingly corporate McPremier League Inc TM.

What''s not to like?[/quote]

You may be happy wallowing in the championship.   I would prefer to see the club compete at the highest possible level.  None of this "ooh we''ve had our premiership jaunt, now lets get back to where we belong" rubbish.    Any REAL supporter would want us to stay in the top league and try and progress there. 

Agree with LDC here, but it seems too many people agree with other football fans and think we belong back in the championship.

There''s something about watching your team setting out not to lose, rather than setting out to win, that rather takes the shine of the premier league experience for this old boy.

WHy did it have to be like that though? I understand why we''d play like that when plying one of the top three away, but not the likes of Fulham, WBA, Hull, Palace etc. There were plenty of games there where we were way too negative and it''s cost us.

If your primary source of entertainment is abusing our own players then it doesnt really matter which league we''re in does it?

Yes, it is so awful. If we don''t want to be in this league, we may as well liquidate the club now, because we won''t be playing for anything in lower leagues.

Perhaps we could strike a deal with the FA, so that we can win the Championship but not get promoted. Or take it into our own hands and just throw the last ten games of every season in a desperate attempt to finish 7th. Every so often, we can get into the play offs, only to valiantly lose on our big day out at Wembley. Sounds great to me.

Of course being in the top league means you are winning games to get promoted. But being in the top league is not everything.

Going to watch NCFC play, particularly at Carrow Road, is an experience, an event. Of course a successful outcome on the pitch is best, but being part of it is the essence.

Too many people, in all sports and walks of life, measure success intrinsically and based on others reaction rather than just accepting they had a bloody good day out.

And I prefer to think you can have just a good day out watching Charlton at Carrow Road or an away trip to Bournemouth.

If all we are going to judge football on is the bloated, overrated Premier League, then I agree, liquidate football altogether.

The premiership is the only place to be and we have thrown our place away after all the hard work to try and establish ourselves.

Couldn''t agree more. It''s all about going to see Norwich City play. The division is pretty irrelevant and there are some distinct advantages to that division not being the Premier League. Which was more enjoyable - League One or the present season?

Getting relegated to the Premier League is a disaster for those individuals whose only link to the club is via a broadband connection. What can I say? Try supporting your local team?

[quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"]Couldn''t agree more. It''s all about going to see Norwich City play. The division is pretty irrelevant and there are some distinct advantages to that division not being the Premier League. Which was more enjoyable - League One or the present season?

Getting relegated to the Premier League is a disaster for those individuals whose only link to the club is via a broadband connection. What can I say? Try supporting your local team?[/quote]

????? You can''t win, Mungo. You''re just digging yourself in deeper.  Every real fan, plastic or not, wants us to play at the highest level, but they will follow the team whatever the division.   I went to more matches in the league 1 season than any since I left Norwich, partly because of the lack of TV coverage and also the cheaper prices.       People that moan about the state of the premier league have a point, but that should not stop us wanting to be there and trying to compete against the best the country has to offer.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"]Couldn''t agree more. It''s all about going to see Norwich City play. The division is pretty irrelevant and there are some distinct advantages to that division not being the Premier League. Which was more enjoyable - League One or the present season? Getting relegated to the Premier League is a disaster for those individuals whose only link to the club is via a broadband connection. What can I say? Try supporting your local team?[/quote]

????? You can''t win, Mungo. You''re just digging yourself in deeper.  Every real fan, plastic or not, wants us to play at the highest level, but they will follow the team whatever the division.   I went to more matches in the league 1 season than any since I left Norwich, partly because of the lack of TV coverage and also the cheaper prices.       People that moan about the state of the premier league have a point, but that should not stop us wanting to be there and trying to compete against the best the country has to offer.

[/quote]

[Y]

I don''t know why he gets so upset by us plastics. We can''t all go to the game, unless they lower prices drastically, arrange for us all to have a whacking pay rise and build the stadium to a 60k capacity.

There''s thousands of us non-Norwich based fans Mungo. Get used to it.

Oh and p.s. I personally went to far more games in the lower leagues. And loved it.

Not if we go the entire season unbeaten, win the league by 10 points, be guaranteed promotion by Easter (which is early next year), and spank the bin men home and away again, that wouldn''t be so bad.But, would we do that?

When we got promoted I felt the mst important thing was clearing the debt that''s been achieved. While I want us to stay in the premier league I don''t want us to stay there at any cost such as getting everyone behind the ball and holding out for 0-0 or hopefully a 1-0 win. Some suggested we get Pulis in as manager I''d rather be relegated than see that type of football, let''s try and play decent football where we at least try and play on the front foot if that''s not good enough to keep us up then so be it. The world won''t end and we''ll have to go back to trying to get promoted.

Yeh it''s pretty awful. Watching Norwich being competitive against some of the worlds best is fantastic and makes you feel proud. However, at large this season we have been no where near competitive, so I understand some peoples lack of disappointment at relegation into a league where we will be.

After the first half dozen times you kind of get used to it.Stick with it long enough and you will see promotion''s and relegation''s in fairly equal measure.I''ve seen 8 promotion''s and if we go down this will be 7 relegation''s.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Down this year will take my total to;

Relegated - 4 times

Promoted - 3 times[/quote]Always painful Lincoln but there will be another promotion coming along sometime soon.[Y]

The only thing to play for in the Championship is a place in the Premiership ,we already had that and but for a blind arrogant Board we would still be there .Always knew they would sack Hughton when all the winnable games had gone but putting somebody in charge with zero experience just tops it off .Surpised they didnt borrow Terry Connor off Ipswich for the last five games because its Wolves all over again .

Tricky

Prem is definitely the place to be, but annoying only a handful of teams have any chance to win it

I love watching players who are the best in the world like Suarez. I hate watching overpaid cheating primadonnas like Suarez

It''s great to be onMOTD rather than getting 3 seconds on the FL show. But irritating to be patronized by "experts" who can''t be bothered to do any research on lesser teams

Great to be in the league above 1p5wich. But you miss something with no local rivals closer than London.

Good to see stories about us in the national media - but you realise the papers'' reputation for getting the wrong end of the stick is well deserved

So I guess you could say in ambivalent about being in the Prem.

Being relegated would be desperate. But like you say, we''d get used to it and it''s not all bad.

What is so annoying is that just 7 games back we were well placed to stay up. After so much dour football which ground out points away from home why did CH have to pick this time of the season for the team to hit a real slump?

Should we go down this will be the seventh relegation I''ve experienced. No doubt I shall be fried for the following two points (1) I think this was the most avoidable in the sense that the financials were better, there were some relatively weaker teams joining the PL this season which, in my opinion, we should have been able to compete with. Had we not adopted such negative tactics, in my opinion, we would be comfortable at the moment (2) as each season passes it becomes more and more difficult to get out of the Championship, notably, because of the existence of owner benefactors. Therefore, thinking that the next promotion is just around the corner is at the very least open to serious challenge.

At first sight I agreed with you about it bring the most avoidable but then you look back to ''95 and how well placed we were at new year, going down mainly because of no decent backup to Gunn - absolutely criminal.

And it probably is getting harder to get out of the Champ but we didn''t exactly come back quickly last time we went down!

With the extra BT money the already massive gulf between the Prem and the Championship is getting bigger. Coming up out of the Championship and staying up without being bankrolled by a wealthy investor is going to be tougher than ever.

I fear we''ve blown our best shot at establishing ourselves in the top flight. As others have said, totally avoidable for me.

Relegation would be an absolute disaster make no mistake.

I fully agree with the points CanaryOne makes.

In answer to the OP question, I say an emphatic - yes.

Whether it be an individual playing sport or a team, playing to your highest level possible is what you should strive for. And for supporters of a professional sport, why would they be content to pay money watching players who can''t cut the mustard when for a largely similar sum they could watch the world''s best talent?

As I said in another thread, just note what Burley had to say about where Norwich are (for the moment) and where Ipswich have been in recent years.

I also mentioned the possibility of us having one local derby next season and the horror scenario of that one derby opposition being a Cambridgeshire club and not a Suffolk club. Life couldn''t be that cruel could it?

Yes it is because in 12 months time you might be asking exactly the same question if we''re stuck near the bottom of the Championship.You don''t chuck away 5 seasons hard graph just so as you can play Ipswich, Leeds & Wolves, and have a few more games against the likes of Barnsley, Yeovil & Millwall.

Personally for me I am old enough to know what goes around comes around and for clubs of our size we need to manage the weight of expectation.

Coming out of Craven Cottage on Saturday , Drazen jnr was gutted. He''s only really known promotion and Premier League football and I had to try and put some perspective on it for him and tell him you need the bad times to happen to be able to appreciate the good times.

The really galling thing though is that, not only was the situation avoidable and we should not be in the position we are in, but also I am incredibly jealous of all those similar sized clubs who have kicked on and have enjoyed something else to shout about in recent years whilst they are ''up there''...

Hull, Stoke, Bolton,Swansea, Birmingham, Sunderland, Villa & Wigan have all reached cup semi-finals or finals in the past few years. Southampton are comfortable and have three players in the England set-up and Fulham (and stretching a point, Middlesbrough) have reached a UEFA final.

So that''s what really makes it so awful for me - how we''ve wasted a great chance for our most talented squad for some time to win some silverware and give our loyal fanbase something else to shout about...

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]Personally for me I am old enough to know what goes around comes around and for clubs of our size we need to manage the weight of expectation.

Coming out of Craven Cottage on Saturday , Drazen jnr was gutted. He''s only really known promotion and Premier League football and I had to try and put some perspective on it for him and tell him you need the bad times to happen to be able to appreciate the good times.

The really galling thing though is that, not only was the situation avoidable and we should not be in the position we are in, but also I am incredibly jealous of all those similar sized clubs who have kicked on and have enjoyed something else to shout about in recent years whilst they are ''up there''...

Hull, Stoke, Bolton,Swansea, Birmingham, Sunderland, Villa & Wigan have all reached cup semi-finals or finals in the past few years. Southampton are comfortable and have three players in the England set-up and Fulham (and stretching a point, Middlesbrough) have reached a UEFA final.

So that''s what really makes it so awful for me - how we''ve wasted a great chance for our most talented squad for some time to win some silverware and give our loyal fanbase something else to shout about...[/quote]

Completely my feelings too.