Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

RVW - "hand gesture" to fans from team coach

...has anyone heard anything about this? I just saw it on Facebook but couldn''t see anything on here.

It was after the game on saturday as fans were chanting "what a waste of money" at him as he sat on the team coach. He was apparently restrained by Bennett.

A tad silly if true but part of me thinks a lot of the fans should be thicker skinned. Fans abuse players for 90 mins then go crying to the plod if the player puts 2 fingers up at them. Nobs.

If true, I can fully understand his reaction and, although in an ideal world he shouldn''t have done it, I wouldn''t criticise him at all.

If true this just makes me even more embarrassed to be a Norwich fan recently. Nothing to do with our performances but due to some of our "fans" idiotic behaviour.

[quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"]Au contraire, he was useless at Fulham, as he has been all season. Real fans pay good money to follow the team and deserve more. They have every right to voice their disatisfaction. Their actions should be applauded.[/quote]

On what basis do you say he was useless ? I''m not being aggressive just interested to hear your justification of this assertion. I didn''t go to the match but my impression from reading the opinions of (sensible) fans who did attend and Adams'' comments after the match was that RvW worked extremely hard and was desperately unlucky not to have scored.

[quote user="Snoots"][quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"]Au contraire, he was useless at Fulham, as he has been all season. Real fans pay good money to follow the team and deserve more. They have every right to voice their disatisfaction. Their actions should be applauded.[/quote]

On what basis do you say he was useless ? I''m not being aggressive just interested to hear your justification of this assertion. I didn''t go to the match but my impression from reading the opinions of (sensible) fans who did attend and Adams'' comments after the match was that RvW worked extremely hard and was desperately unlucky not to have scored.[/quote]

Don''t humour him, it''s just another of Waveney''s accounts :)

I discussed this on another thread but having been at the game I would say the following were true:

1. He did work hard and did try to tackle back but he was ineffective at keeping hold of the ball and his touch more often than not let him down.

2. In trying so hard he lost tactical discipline and was almost always in the wrong areas of the pitch when we were in possession. Numerous times Howson would pick up the ball in midfield and you would find Van Wolfswinkel has alongside him or deeper and not looking to push on and give an option. This meant the ball had to be pushed wide and then there still would be no one to cross to or the midfield had to push on to make up for it. It is likely that this is down to confidence that he is not showing for it but it is just going to be a repeated cycle if he doesn''t start getting into the right positions.

The team are in what can only be described as a desperate position. The guy hasn''t done the job that he was brought in to do, but then again foreign strikers often find it difficult to settle in their first season as the game is different here. He is most likely deeply frustrated with himself. So I am not surprised that he snapped when a bunch of idiots decide that they have the right to single him out personally for the team''s failures this year. He''s not even in a management position and able to influence how we as a side play.

If he hasn''t tried all season, yeah, go for him, but I think it is universally accepted that he has tried. Don''t blame him for how the team gets set up. More experienced strikers have tried, failed and got desperately frustrated under our former manager.

quote user="Rev. Clarence Gentlefinger"Au contraire, he was useless at Fulham, as he has been all season. Real fans pay good money to follow the team and deserve more. They have every right to voice their disatisfaction. Their actions should be applauded./quote

Can admin please block this troll.

Clarence GF,

They may every right to voice their dissatisfaction but if they do it is being vented in the wrong direction, RVW didn''t decide to buy RVW, RVW didn''t agree to RVW''s wages (from the club''s perspective obviously), RVW didn''t decide to fork out £8.5m for RVW, RVW doesn''t select the team, RVW doesn''t set the tactics, RVW isn''t tasked with motivating the team, RVW doesn''t pick RVW, etc. etc.

In fact it appears that all RVW has done is his best. Now that may not be good enough for the PL but that aint his fault, so if dissatifaction must be voiced then I suggest it is voiced in the correct direction, to those that are responsible for all the things aforementioned.

Venting frustration at RvW is a stupid thing to do.

Firstly he doesn''t want to be playing badly does he? Had success with every club he''s been at and now he''s really struggling for form. Can fully see why he''s frustrated.

Yes he has missed a few sitters but that comes with confidence, and he hasn''t exactly been blessed with a creative midfield banging in balls for him every game? Isolated in a terrible 4-5-1 formation which doesn''t suit him atall.

Price tag.....did he pick it?? That blame has to go to the hierarchy and hughton for his choice in player. They chose to buy him, ricky chose to play his football here.

It''s a slightly tenuous accusation really. I''d be surprised if this actually happened.

If he does move on at the end of the season he''ll have continued nightmares about Norwich, Norwich City and everything associated with us.

Yet, some supporters want to make the situation for him even worse. Some people enjoy kicking a sick dog as it makes them feel better in themselves by releasing them from their own shortcomings. These are the people with the real problem.

RVW did not put a price tag on himself by the way.

The blokes who received this gesture were moaning about it on Twitter.

Pretty pathetic. Dish out a load of abuse to a striker low on confidence who''s at least still giving it a good go - and then cry online when you get a hand gesture returned.

[quote user="hogesar"]The blokes who received this gesture were moaning about it on Twitter.

Pretty pathetic. Dish out a load of abuse to a striker low on confidence who''s at least still giving it a good go - and then cry online when you get a hand gesture returned.[/quote]#
Reminds me of this:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/fan-fury-as-footballer-looks-up-while-being-abused-2014010982418

I was told this sat night by a woman in her 30''s who follows Norwich home and away no reson to lie in fact she would stick up for Norwich players more than most and she said was so annoyed after the away days she has had also for the record it was turner who was trying to stop ricky ! also the what a waste of money was how much Norwich fans have spent following the team this season ( her words )

this lady has no reason to lie in fact she would bnot have a bad word said about the club

Ok let us be clear I never like picking on individual players unless they clearly seem not to give a fig about playing and do not put in the effort during the game.

RVW has clearly put in a shift and played a part so better than some in the team.

However he is meant to be a highly rated talented striker and I have to say on the rare opportunities he has been in with a chance in the box he does not look it. He looks more like an inexperienced youngster who snatches at chances rather than an experienced one. He rarely gets in the right position off the ball and shows no clever runs. He therefore is an abject failure at what the club wanted and he has to share as much of the blame as Hughton and rest of team. I note he rarely gives defence trouble also when not in possession unlike Holt his predecessor .

He had a big chance to prove critics wrong under new management and did not deliver.

He is paid big bucks to score goals and like any employee who does not deliver can expect and should get criticism, and it is not as if had only few games to prove himself .

So in summary the fans shouldn''t have given abuse but he should be professional enough not to respond especially outside of game theatre and if he did like Snodgrass should apologise as without fans he would not be where he is today

Nothing to disagree with there CJ except perhaps this:

"He is paid big bucks to score goals and like any employee who does not deliver can expect and should get criticism" 

.He''s not like any other employee. He''s a footballer abd confidence is vital. If he has to get criticism that is the manager''s job, not that of  a bunch of yobbos hurling abuse at him in the car park. That only makes matters worse and gets my abject disapproval for one.

Nobody forced them to use their hard earned money traipsing the length and breadth of the country to watch ninety minutes of football. I wouldn''t (well occasionally maybe.) They were never guaranteed success either.

If true, they''reIdiots. We aren''t down yet, need everyone pulling together and then allegedly do something like this? ...and after a much better away performance ...and Neyul''s first game in charge. Utter mindlessness - joke fans; an embarrassment.

I think fans have a right to voice their opinion, but chanting "what a waste of money" does not sound like it was directed at the experience of following Norwich away, as alluded to by some. That chant is historically always directed at players. Possible it was in some vague reference to following Norwich away, but after one of our better (albeit fruitless) away performances where everyone gave 100% for the cause, it seems an odd thing to chant.
Which leads me to suspect it was being directed at Ricky. Fair enough, he is not getting the job done at the moment, but are chants like that really going to have any positive impact for a player low on confidence? If they were proper fans then they would have been chanting something supportive in a bid to get our record signing''s chin up off the floor and ready for the next game, rather than making him less motivated to play for the club.
If this story is accurate, then the fans who were chanting that are an embarrassment to the club and I would have fully supported Ricky if he''d got out the bus and belted them. Wouldn''t have done his career any favours but if you''re doing something badly, the last thing you need is a group of fans chanting to you about how badly you''re doing it. It''s hardly like he wouldn''t be aware that he''s been sub-par this season.
At least it shows he gives a $hit.