Sign in to follow this  
swjf50

Team v Liverpool

We cannot afford to give away possession through bad inaccurate passing, as Liverpool''s pace and goal threat will rip us apart. We have to be at our best and very tight at the back. Obvious I know but it rarely happens.

So who do we pick? Johnson is hard working and solid but lacks skill and a decent accurate pass. Tettey is similar but his passing is better and he has great energy, so I would be inclined to pick him to team up with Howson and Fer. Up front RVW has to start but I''m not at all sure who else I would pick. Redmond has great pace and skill but can hang on to the ball too long. He has to learn when to pass it and not be too gready. If Snodgrass could put in some early crosses, instead of slowing up play, I would pick him every week. What has happened to Pilkington? He''s not been given a chance for ages. Hoolahan deserves some time on the pitch possibly just behind RVW but I''m not sure I''d start him. He is one of the few players we have who can make something out of nothing. In defence I''d pick Martin Turner Yobo Olsson. If Bassong is really up for it and 100% fit, I would pick him ahead of Yobo but only just.

Who would you pick?

Humpty Dumpty in goal (sitting on his wall) with all the kings horses and kings men in defence, not sure og midfield and forwards [:D]

Agree with the RVW part. He''s a much harder worker than Hooper and thats what we need against the likes of Liverpool.

Disagree with the Bassong part. He''s been awful lately and Turner was solid on Saturday. I''d push Martin out to RB as we can''t afford attacking full backs like Whittaker, we''ll get torn open too easily. Yobo and Turner could be a good partnership.

RuddyMartin (c) Turner Yobo OlssonTetteySnodgrass Howson Fer GutierrezHooperSubs: Bunn, Bennett, Johnson, Redmond, Hoolahan, Elmander, RVW.Tettey/Howson/Fer in the centre of the park will be essential to close down the space. Tettey gets the nod over Johnson because he''s much better at retaining possession. Also choose Jonas ahead of Redders as he will offer more support to Olsson. Hooper/RVW is a tough call, but to be honest if we do get a clear chance, I feel Hoop is more likely to take it than RVW. Howson and Fer will be able to bomb forward on the rare occasions that we do attack!

My team for Liverpool would be:Ruddy (gk)Martin (rb)Bassong (cb)Turner (cb)Olsson (lb)Tettey (cm)Fer (cm)Snodgrass (am)Redmond (rw)Pilkington (lw)RVW (cf)

I''d go for a central trio of Tettey, Fer and Howson, with RvW up front and Snodgrass and Redmond on the wings. I think the main way we can hurt Liverpool will be on the counter, so we need players who can carry the ball at pace, so I''d particularly highlight, Howson, Redmond and Fer as key players with that in mind. I know Snodders can slow the attack down at times, but I don''t think we should drop him at the moment, because he is providing the bulk of our goal threat from his set-pieces and runs into the box.

In defence I would be tempted to restore Bassong, alongside Turner, or maybe Yobo with Turner, the replace Whittaker at RB with Martin for more defensive solidity. Does anyone recall Whittaker getting ripped to shreds for pace at Man City last year?

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Ruddy
Martin (c) Turner Yobo Olsson
Tettey
Snodgrass Howson Fer Gutierrez
Hooper

Subs: Bunn, Bennett, Johnson, Redmond, Hoolahan, Elmander, RVW.

Tettey/Howson/Fer in the centre of the park will be essential to close down the space. Tettey gets the nod over Johnson because he''s much better at retaining possession. Also choose Jonas ahead of Redders as he will offer more support to Olsson. Hooper/RVW is a tough call, but to be honest if we do get a clear chance, I feel Hoop is more likely to take it than RVW. Howson and Fer will be able to bomb forward on the rare occasions that we do attack!
[/quote]

I think that seems a very sensible line up and one I would go with. I don''t think this is a game for Redmond when you will have Sterling or Coutinho running at you. As for the striker. Flip a coin really.

------------------------ruddy------------------

martin--Bassong--Bennett---Turner----Olsson

------------Johnson-Tettey--Howson-----------

-----------------------Redmond--------------------

------------------------Hooper------------------------

would be happy with a draw

I would set up as follows,

GK = Ruddy

3 x CB = Martin on the right, Yobo in the centre, Turner on the left.

RB = E. Bennett, LB = Olsson

2 x CM = Tettey, Fer

RM = Redmond

LM = Snodgrass

CF = RVW (with instructions to stay upfield)

Both full backs can bomb on interplaying with their respective R or L midfileder.

One of Fer or Tettey to support the attacking FBs and their respective midfileder, whoever isn''t stay deep and plays in front of the back three, when and if the ball is lost, all to drop back at pace to cover defence.

This is a selection based on the best form of defence being attack. If we are coming at them with pace, which with Bennett, Olsson, and Redmond we can and keep them occupied rather than them keeping us occupied we could easily get a positive result. Snoddy offers less pace but still gets in over Pilks or Murphy (one of which on the bench).

This staring line up allows to go 4 - 5 - 1 or 4 - 4 - 2, withouit too many changes, simply by moving E Bennett form FB to RM moving RM to RB and moving Redmond to the left and bringing Snoddy inside (4 - 5 - 1), or by making one substitution, either E Bennett or ano midfielder and moving Bennett to mifdield, moving RM to RB and bringing on another striker, therefore in both instances keeping 2 substitutions up our sleeves.

Physioroom has EB as out until next week but he played 90 mins klast Friday for the U21s and looked good, he is obvioulst injury free maybe his match fitness is still in doubt but I''d give it a go.

Yobo or Bassong in for Whittaker would be my only change.

Outplayed a poor Fulham team just couldn''t find the net. Hoopers struggling just as much at RvW at present so I''d keep with ricky.

Suggesting Elliot Bennett to play out of position wing back against Suarez Sturridge and sterling in his first game for over 6 months is madness! Tracking back from RM is one thing but to have a forward of the quality mentioned running at you is a different story.

I''d like to see us pack the midfield like we did at fulham and try and make it hard for Liverpool to spend time on the ball and control the game

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bassong Olsson

Snodgrass Howson Tettey Fer Redmond

Hooper

Great Wall Of Tettey,

I think you will find Sturridge will be out through injury.

A risk I agree, but he has RM to assist, as indeed he did many times for SW last Saturday.

He played FB last year for one game, when both CBs went of injured early in the game and peformed very well, can''t rememeber which match though.

Mrs M,

That''s the point of this set up, we don''t have to, however can revert to it if needed, it allows us to be far more fluid. Let''s hope we are playing 3 at the back as we are spending 70% of the time in their half putting them under pressure.

And any team with Suarez and Sterling up front represents a threat, hence why I am suggesting we strave them of the ball. Easy? No. Possible? Yes.

As long as our game plan isn''t the same as the first half of fulham, because throwing yourself into their half is a very dangerous game (i know thats not what your saying).

Its going to be very difficult. They close you down, so for a team like us, who can''t pass the ball very well, perhaps we should play like stoke for one game. They attack in numbers, so if we get the ball back, get it to our striker(s) as quick as possible and build from there.

Two options:
4-2-3-1: 
RB: Martin
CB: Turner
CB: Bassong
LB: Olsson
DM: Tettey
DM: Fer
RM: Snodgrass
CAM: Redmond
LM: Pilkington 
ST: Hooper/RVW (benefits and drawbacks to both, IMO)
or
4-1-4-1:
RB: Martin
CB: Turner
CB: Bassong
LB: Olsson
DM: Tettey
RM: Snodgrass
CM: Howson
CM: Fer
LM: Redmond
ST: Hooper/RVW

I don''t think Redmond''s got the footballing brain to be a CAM, that for me would be a perfect Howson role, but I like those line-ups.

Mrs M,

Agree our passing isn''t the best, which is why we may have to beat them with pace and some trickery, route 1 may work too though but I think NA is more cultured than that and will do his best to out tactic them, something I know he is very good at.

Has anyone actually been watching Bassong all season? He''s been below par and doesn''t deserve a look in!

[quote user="Adycakes"]I don''t think Redmond''s got the footballing brain to be a CAM, that for me would be a perfect Howson role, but I like those line-ups.[/quote]
It doesn''t matter for the role I would give him. I don''t really want him to create, I want him to be a direct, pacy, threat through the centre. I would agree with you if we were going to be playing a team that would sit deeper when defending, such as West Ham, then I would definitely choose Hoolahan or Fer or Howson to be a creative midfielder who would play the probing passes behind the defence. But Liverpool are going to have more possession, their defence is going to push up the pitch and try to play close to the midfield as they will dominate the ball. In situations like that, the pace of Redmond in a central role will be perfect IMO.  

[quote user="lharman7"]Has anyone actually been watching Bassong all season? He''s been below par and doesn''t deserve a look in![/quote]

No. Nobody has watched Bassong at all.

But seriously, while Bassong hasn''t been as good as last season has he actually been that bad? We''ve still kept quite a lot of clean sheets (which he has been apart of) and how many goals has he alone cost us? I think you''ll struggle to find a Norwich defender who doesn''t make mistakes leading to goals.

Has anyone played significantly better than him or any better at all?

I think Bassong has become a bit of a scapegoat and I think that the armband hasn''t helped the way people view his performances. In my opinion I think people have struggled to separate his footballing performances from their opinions of his suitability as a captain.

My preference is to see us return to the partnership of Turner and Bassong which has served us very well in the past and I don''t see why it can''t again.

Whatever team we put out has to be able to keep the ball more than we often do.   Best ball players under strict instructions to pass and move.                   Ruddy    Whittaker Martin Turner OllsonE. Bennett  Tettey Fer Howson  Redmond                      RVW

Yes , I know.  E. Bennett isn''t ready yet, probably - but he would give more early crosses.  Just put him on the pitch and tell him to cross the ball at every opportunity.   Same with Redmond.   No glory hunting from any of them, just get the ball in there for the striker to attack, as so nearly worked for RVW on Saturday.

What''s up with Yobo? Tricky one though as i like the Russ/Turner pairing simply for, as Adams said, their guts and whole-heartedness and leardership and organisational sense. But Yobo brings that too and i just think we need that much more athleticism v Liverpool and wonder if Turner gives us enough of that.

Regards the front, if we were to go with a front two, and i expect we probably wont for Liverpool, we could do a lot worse than Hooper and Becchio. Surely those two have the most convincing goal scoring records.

I would pick Redmond on the right, with instructions to run at the defence. This would take some pressure off our weaker right side. We need a good wide left player for the same reason. It would have to be Pilks, if fit, or even Josh. If Garrido had any pace I would push Olsson wide left and bring Garrido in at LB.

On this basis Snodgrass would have to play in the centre, perhaps behind the centre. The midfield would have to include Tettey and Fer, and sadly no place for Howson, unless we play without a left winger. At the Hawthorns Fer played wide, but looked lost, and it was a waste of talent. As things are Johnson would have to be on the bench. He is not constructive enough and, despite his bravery, is not the most efficient tackler. We need some pace in the midfield, so Howson would get the nod in front of Johnson. Having seen the pace and skills of Sterling at the weekend, we need some nimble defenders who are not going to rush in and give away penalties - Gerard has had enough already this season!.

In defence, for me Martin shades it over Whittaker, who has my heart in my mouth whenever he is involved, although Martin is capable of errors as well. This is why I would prefer to have a speedy winger on the right, (Redmond followed by Benno?,) to keep the Liverpool left occupied.

[quote user="a1canary"]

What''s up with Yobo? Tricky one though as i like the Russ/Turner pairing simply for, as Adams said, their guts and whole-heartedness and leardership and organisational sense. But Yobo brings that too and i just think we need that much more athleticism v Liverpool and wonder if Turner gives us enough of that.

Regards the front, if we were to go with a front two, and i expect we probably wont for Liverpool, we could do a lot worse than Hooper and Becchio. Surely those two have the most convincing goal scoring records.

[/quote]

Michael Turner always seems to get critics for failing to make mistakes. He does nothing special, but he also does nothing wrong. Should be the first name on the team sheet in my opinion. And as for Yobo, I don''t think he''s put a foot wrong in defence when called apon. Russell Martin at RB gives us more stability than Whittaker.

I also don''t see the point in playing 2 forwards when the front ''3'' of snodgrass Redmond and RvW was effective. I''d go with that again and I think Adams will too