Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

RVW success - he's made it to front page of Reddit !

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/232m6b/van_wolfswinkel_amazing_nolook_pass/

...comments don''t make great reading either :-(

Poor ol'' Ricky.When he leaves in the summer I wonder if he will ever get his confidence back?

You don''t become a bad player overnight ........ I reckon it took about six months of negative tactics to do it.

Hopefully a more positive approach will change the form to what it should be.

The Portuguese league has a way of making players look world class when they are actually a bit pants, probably because most of the teams in the league are League One, bottom of Champs standard. How else can you explain £16m on Jose Bosingwa? The Eredivisie is exactly the same..... how else can you explain 23 goals last season for Jozy Altidore?You don''t get the time and space in this league that RVW was given in that video clip. He would probably get that time and space in the Championship, if we are prepared to take that gamble and he is willing to get lumps kicked out of him for a year. We just have to face up to the fact that the Premier League is the strongest league in the world and therefore many players from Eredivise, and Ligue 1, and the Bundesliga, and Portugal, just don''t make the grade when they arrive.Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi score twice as many goals as they would do if playing in this league, Suarez would be scoring as many as them if he was in La Liga. Premiership = toughest league in world. RVW = not good enough to look good in the toughest league in world.

Nail on the head there Juggy.

Although If/when we go down there''s no way we''ll keep him on the pay roll. £40k a week allegedly. He''s off. God knows who will take him though.

I thought there were relegation clauses. 

I would like to stick with him if we go down.

As you said he''s currently virtually un-saleable anyhow.

Maybe he should be prepared to take a pay cut then, with a bonus which gives him back the money in a lump sum if we get promoted with him scoring at least 15 of our goals.

I find it difficult to explain the RvW issue.

On those goals in the clip above, I would say on #2 he just wouldn''t get that time in the PL.

Looking at the other two it would suggest the issue is partly down to ponderous build up play- quick passing, snappy cross, then RvW puts the finishing touch on it. He looks like a striker that will be effective in a team that can put the opposition on the back foot which we fail to do much of the time, and he doesn''t have a lot else to offer really.

On the other hand, the times a chance has finally come his way he doesn''t seem to have quite enough power or direction to beat PL keepers, and like others have mentioned we can''t afford him 6-7 chances a game to get his eye in.

He''s a perplexing little Dutchman.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Worth looking at this clip as posted by a Sporting fan on this thread. RvW Hat-trick. Hard to believe its the same player. So sad... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4wxrNhoYNY&feature=youtu.be[/quote]Even after watching just the first 2 minutes, it''s blindingly obvious why he did better over there than he has for us - worse defenders and teammates who actually give him the balls he wants.I saw more through balls to RVW in that short clip than I think I''ve seen all season from our players to him, not to mention the quick cross into the centre for his first goal - if that was us we''d still have been watching Snoddy dithering on the wing then playing it inside to Howson etc...The difference in defensive quality is fairly obvious, and some situations that RVW will have scored from over there just wouldn''t happen here, but unless you''re giving him the relevant ammunition then he''s never going to show exactly how big the gulf is.In that video you have a player brimming with confidence, with a team that plays to his main strengths, really is a far cry from the forlorn figure we have upfront who''s spent all season being told to be a target man and getting dog$hit supply...