Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Historical view.

Last ten seasons  -Two relegationsTwo promotionsThree mediocre Championship seasonsTwo  successful premiership seasonsOne still to be decided.   So if you started supporting us ten years ago,  or less, you''ve had a fantastic roller coaster trip.Go back twenty years to 1994,  and you can add on one premiership season - in which we were relegated, then eight championship seasons before  the Cardiff final, then the promotion season to the premiership.  The total  over twenty years makes eleven mediocre championship seasons and then  the four premiership seasons, the League 1 season and three promotions.  A bleaker picture if you started watching twenty years ago.

Go back 40 years, which I can - and you have overall a magical picture of mainly success and a few poor seasons.  1974 - 94 - almost unbridled positivity - even the season we were relegated had the cup win.     So over the 40 years,   29 seasons of success or promotions, 11 mediocre ones - looks pretty good.

My point?  Whatever age we are colours our view of how we see our club.  Those that can go back sixty or more years will have a different view again.  I struggle with other supporters seeing things so doom laden, but then if you look at those who started watching after 94, they have a less favourable view than those that started in the early 70''s, or than those who started in 2004.    So are the fans who are 30-40, who may have started watching twenty years ago more likely to see things less favourably than the rest of us?  

The ages are of course arbitary, but does age make a difference?  Is it easier for some of us to be more positive than others, just because of our age and what we have seen for ourselves? 

I''ve been following and going to games since 1989.25 years. Tell me Lakey.... how many times have I been able to go to Wembley, our national stadium, to watch our team?

What has trips to Wembley got to do with it? we''ve only been 3 times in our existence, but had Wembley been used for FA semi finals, as now, and not been being rebuilt when we got to the play-off final, we''d have been three times since 1989. Obviously, had we not gone up automatically we could ave had more trips.

[quote user="Juggy"]I''ve been following and going to games since 1989.25 years. Tell me Lakey.... how many times have I been able to go to Wembley, our national stadium, to watch our team?

[/quote]

Ok none.  But you had Cardiff  and the European games.   Those who started in 94 or later missed those.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]What has trips to Wembley got to do with it? we''ve only been 3 times in our existence, but had Wembley been used for FA semi finals, as now, and not been being rebuilt when we got to the play-off final, we''d have been three times since 1989. Obviously, had we not gone up automatically we could ave had more trips.[/quote]I have no idea what trips to Wembley have to do with anything, or indeed what this thread is about.I thought I''d contribute by letting everyone know I went to see AC/DC at Wembley a couple of year''s ago if that helps. They weren''t half bad.

I saw Iron Maiden at Donnington and they were hopeless, but a few years back I saw Status Quo at Knebworth and they fair blew me away.

Just goes to show there''s good gigs and bad gigs, good games and bad games.

You might as well pull numbers out of a bag, if you ask me. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Unless we''re away from home when we definitely lose. But I bet we''d beat Status Quo, even if Iron Maiden was on the subs bench.

I think that says a lot.

[quote user="Juggy"]I''ve been following and going to games since 1989.25 years. Tell me Lakey.... how many times have I been able to go to Wembley, our national stadium, to watch our team?

[/quote]

Norwich missed out on 3 European adventures from ''85 onwards !

Indeed!  That is precisely the reason i despise Liverpool FC with every bone in my body (plus growing up in the 80s every mate supported them)!Strangely i almost have a respect for the scousers this season after the way they play their football but.............id love it, just love it if we could beat them!