Sign in to follow this  
he

OTBC/YNWA

To start with I think we don''t stand a chance on the pitch against Liverpool, do you think the Carrow Road home attendance can outsing the Liverpool supporters with OTBC?

Hope the home supporters really can make a mayhem to lift the players. The players really need to get the crowd behind them!

Hope the Norwich supporters can show what a real club song is like. OTBC is one of the worlds oldest club songs. Liverpool''s song YNWA is "stolen" from Celtic. It should also be mentioned that Anfield from the beginning was Everton''s home ground. So our opposition the coming weekend is like a cuckoo!

[quote user="he"]Liverpool''s song YNWA is "stolen" from Celtic.[/quote]From Wiki......."The song is also sung at association football clubs around the world,

where it is performed by a massed chorus of supporters on matchday; this

tradition began at Liverpool Football Club in the early 1960s and has continued to be a signature tradition for Liverpool fans"

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="he"]Liverpool''s song YNWA is "stolen" from Celtic.[/quote]From Wiki......."The song is also sung at association football clubs around the world,

tradition began at Liverpool Football Club in the early 1960s and has continued to be a signature tradition for Liverpool fans"[/quote]

"YNWA" was originally from the musical  "Carousel"  written by Rogers and Hammerstein (Sound of Music fame).  It has nothing to do with football, other than the Kop enjoyed a good singalong when it was played over the tannoy.  Nothing wrong with that, but at least OTBC is about the football club and has a lot longer history  than Liverpool''s anthem.   

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="he"]Liverpool''s song YNWA is "stolen" from Celtic.[/quote]From Wiki......."The song is also sung at association football clubs around the world,

tradition began at Liverpool Football Club in the early 1960s and has continued to be a signature tradition for Liverpool fans"[/quote]

"YNWA" was originally from the musical  "Carousel"  written by Rogers and Hammerstein (Sound of Music fame).  It has nothing to do with football, other than the Kop enjoyed a good singalong when it was played over the tannoy.  Nothing wrong with that, but at least OTBC is about the football club and has a lot longer history  than Liverpool''s anthem.[/quote]Doh! Whatever are you gurgling on about now? We know all that! We also know the song was a number one hit for Gerry and the Pacemakers in 1963 (a Liverpool band), and then adopted by the Kop.The point I was making was, it wasn''t "stolen" from Celtic as quoted. Unless of course, you heard some Jock humming it in 1945. [;)]

I dunno where this crap about Liverpool "stealing" You''ll Never Walk Alone from Celtic came from.   Everyone knows how Liverpool fans came to sing it, simply because the Gerry & The Pacemakers version was played, along with all other Mersey groups songs, over the tannoy.  The Kop joined in with every song with great gusto - She Loves You, I wanna Hold Your Hand etc. etc.

It wasn''t planned and nobody made a decision to adopt it - it just happened.   Just like when the whole kop as one voice started singing Careless Hands when Gary Sprake threw the ball into his own net - it just happened.

For some reason some other clubs started singing it too and I certainly don''t recall Celtic fans singing it prior to the eighties although I could be wrong on that.   None the less as far as I''m concerned it''s Liverpools anthem and that''s that!

On the Ball City is fantastic - an ORIGINAL and UNIQUE club anthem.   The oldest known club anthem in the world and I for one would love to hear the original version played over the tannoy at Carrow Road before every match.   In fact I think the Norwich team should do a Wimbledon Crazy Gang type of thing and sing it with great gusto whilst waiting in the tunnel before the the match with the opposing side standing next to them - They''re bound to just stand there in shock thinking "What the **** is THIS?" - Psychologically Norwich would walk out already one nil up

In all likelihood the song you''ll hear most from the Away section on Sunday is The Fields Of Anfield Road.   But matter not, I hope that OTBC will be sung often, loudly and with great pride.   Despite recent history of this fixture Norwich have a habit of spoiling Liverpools parties.   Such as the very last match played in front of the original Spion Kop where Liverpool should''ve bade it farewell with a resounding victory for the fans to emember it by but NO!   Along came Norwich and won the match 0-1.   Talk about party poopers!!!

Obviously I go for a Liverpool win on Sunday but am optimistic about Norwich''s remaining games.   With at least one win against either United or Arsenal and with Sunderlands performance against City that one becomes suddenly very winnable.

You could always sing the oppositions version of "In My Liverpool Home"

Original Version                                                                   Opposition Version

In me Liverpool Home, in me Liverpool home                    In yer Liverpool Home, in yer Liverpool home

We speak with an accent exceedly rare                                Yer look in the dustbin for something to eat

Meet under a statue exceedingly bare                                   If yer find a dead cat

An'' if yer want a Cathedral we''ve got one to spare               Then yer think it''s a treat

In me Liverpool home                                                           In yer Liverpool home

I dunno where this crap about Liverpool "stealing" You''ll Never Walk Alone from Celtic came from.   Everyone knows how Liverpool fans came to sing it, simply because the Gerry & The Pacemakers version was played, along with all other Mersey groups songs, over the tannoy.  The Kop joined in with every song with great gusto - She Loves You, I wanna Hold Your Hand etc. etc.

It wasn''t planned and nobody made a decision to adopt it - it just happened.   Just like when the whole kop as one voice started singing Careless Hands when Gary Sprake threw the ball into his own net - it just happened.

For some reason some other clubs started singing it too and I certainly don''t recall Celtic fans singing it prior to the eighties although I could be wrong on that.   None the less as far as I''m concerned it''s Liverpools anthem and that''s that!

On the Ball City is fantastic - an ORIGINAL and UNIQUE club anthem.   The oldest known club anthem in the world and I for one would love to hear the original version played over the tannoy at Carrow Road before every match.   In fact I think the Norwich team should do a Wimbledon Crazy Gang type of thing and sing it with great gusto whilst waiting in the tunnel before the the match with the opposing side standing next to them - They''re bound to just stand there in shock thinking "What the **** is THIS?" - Psychologically Norwich would walk out already one nil up

In all likelihood the song you''ll hear most from the Away section on Sunday is The Fields Of Anfield Road.   But matter not, I hope that OTBC will be sung often, loudly and with great pride.   Despite recent history of this fixture Norwich have a habit of spoiling Liverpools parties.   Such as the very last match played in front of the original Spion Kop where Liverpool should''ve bade it farewell with a resounding victory for the fans to emember it by but NO!   Along came Norwich and won the match 0-1.   Talk about party poopers!!!

Obviously I go for a Liverpool win on Sunday but am optimistic about Norwich''s remaining games.   With at least one win against either United or Arsenal and with Sunderlands performance against City that one becomes suddenly very winnable.

You could always sing the oppositions version of "In My Liverpool Home"

Original Version                                                                   Opposition Version

In me Liverpool Home, in me Liverpool home                    In yer Liverpool Home, in yer Liverpool home

We speak with an accent exceedly rare                                Yer look in the dustbin for something to eat

Meet under a statue exceedingly bare                                   If yer find a dead cat

An'' if yer want a Cathedral we''ve got one to spare               Then yer think it''s a treat

In me Liverpool home                                                           In yer Liverpool home

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="he"]Liverpool''s song YNWA is "stolen" from Celtic.[/quote]From Wiki......."The song is also sung at association football clubs around the world,

"YNWA" was originally from the musical  "Carousel"  written by Rogers and Hammerstein (Sound of Music fame).  It has nothing to do with football, other than the Kop enjoyed a good singalong when it was played over the tannoy.  Nothing wrong with that, but at least OTBC is about the football club and has a lot longer history  than Liverpool''s anthem.[/quote]Doh! Whatever are you gurgling on about now? We know all that! We also know the song was a number one hit for Gerry and the Pacemakers in 1963 (a Liverpool band), and then adopted by the Kop.The point I was making was, it wasn''t "stolen" from Celtic as quoted. Unless of course, you heard some Jock humming it in 1945. [;)] [/quote]

Err.....I never made the quote about Celtic.    I know perfectly well that Gerry Marsden made a cover of YNWA, I was just stating its origins - and not everyone would know it comes from a staid old musical.   The point I was making was that it was not a football song whereas ours is. Please don''t jump to conclusions.  I am not a complete idiot! [;)]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Err.....I never made the quote about Celtic.    I know perfectly well that Gerry Marsden made a cover of YNWA, I was just stating its origins - and not everyone would know it comes from a staid old musical.   The point I was making was that it was not a football song whereas ours is. Please don''t jump to conclusions.  I am not a complete idiot! [;)][/quote]Ah, finally, we discover what you really wanted to talk about. [:D]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Ah- "Carousel" a musical that tries to justify wife beating.[/quote]

Oh, FF''S

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Err.....I never made the quote about Celtic.    I know perfectly well that Gerry Marsden made a cover of YNWA, I was just stating its origins - and not everyone would know it comes from a staid old musical.   The point I was making was that it was not a football song whereas ours is. Please don''t jump to conclusions.  I am not a complete idiot! [;)][/quote]Ah, finally, we discover what you really wanted to talk about. [:D][/quote]Ah...but -YOU were the one that got the wrong end of the stick. YOU were the one that started on at me about "gurgling".  YOU were the one questioning me.   Do YOU  accept that?  No. Didn''t think YOU would.  [:P]

Was always a Liverpool song which Celtic adopted afterwards.

As a post war song only adopted in early 60s by LFC its a mere youngster in terms of recognised football songs compared to our own record breaker. 

[quote user="Jenkins"]A stolen song, that figures[/quote]

LOL