Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

Nigel Worthington

Funniest thing I''ve heard all day.

Whoever is putting money on that needs their head examining.

He was actually a very good manager for us and done a very good job on restricted funds, if he had been backed earlier when he wanted to bring players in we would hav stayed up,

Got a lot of time for Worthy but he is not what we need.His record with youth players is not good either.... Ryan Jarvis and Ian Henderson not managed correctly early on, we don''t need somebody to ruin what is the best youth crop we have had for 20 odd years.

What makes it good?I think that Ryan Jarvis in particular was mismanaged - get a game or two then nothing for six months. Should have been going out on loan when not required here. He had 4 years of not doing much at all between making his debut, weren''t until he was 20/21 that he went out to get games, and was then released. Often threw Henderson to the wolves as well, putting him in high pressure games at a very young age and he soon lost his confidence playing at Carrow Road, ended up doing well for Colchester but another case of mismanagement I think. Then there was the release of Paul Hayes without him ever kicking a ball for us despite twice scoring a brace against strong Arsenal teams in friendlies, ended up playing at a similar standard to us for a decade was a good player for a while. Why are you asking the question, Worthington as Norwich manager doesn''t actually appeal to you does it Nigel?

No. It''s just that I think you''re talking absolute rubbish. Worthy had a fantastic relationship with the academy and always took a great interest in our youngsters. He was always keen to involve them with the first team and encourage them. I remember a very young Chris Martin being taken to Birmingham for a league cup match just for experience and developement. We''ve had a couple of managers since Worthy who showed little interest at all in our academy before Hughton who was another to show great interest in it.

Get your ''WORTHY OUT'' stickers, mugs and posters here.[Y]

I am sorry but that is nonsense. We should have had the balls to sack him when we went up because he was hopeless in the premiership - tactically naive - and no plan B. At least we haven''t made the same mistake sin ..... Oh ..... Wait a minute

"No. It''s just that I think you''re talking absolute rubbish"Fair enough. I think you are taking offense for the sake of taking offense, because you want an argument for the sake of having an argument. I take an interest in our academy by the way, doesn''t mean that I would know how to turn a Jarvis into a Sutton or a Loza into a Bellamy. As for the couple of managers since Worthy who "showed little interest at all in our academy", then feel free to spill the beans.... because seem to remember Glenn Roeder, Bryan Gunn and Peter Grant handing debuts to or using various kids such as Dean Sinclair, Kris Renton, Chris Martin, Rossi Jarvis, Korey Smith, Luke Daley, Andrew Cave Brown, Robert Eagle and Bally Smart.... They all seemed to know where to find the Under 18 squad! 

[quote user="Juggy"]"No. It''s just that I think you''re talking absolute rubbish"Fair enough. I think you are taking offense for the sake of taking offense, because you want an argument for the sake of having an argument. I take an interest in our academy by the way, doesn''t mean that I would know how to turn a Jarvis into a Sutton or a Loza into a Bellamy. As for the couple of managers since Worthy who "showed little interest at all in our academy", then feel free to spill the beans.... because seem to remember Glenn Roeder, Bryan Gunn and Peter Grant handing debuts to or using various kids such as Dean Sinclair, Kris Renton, Chris Martin, Rossi Jarvis, Korey Smith, Luke Daley, Andrew Cave Brown, Robert Eagle and Bally Smart.... They all seemed to know where to find the Under 18 squad!  [/quote]

Indeed they did Juggy. Well all apart from Dean Sinclair who signed for Barnet in 2004. Oh and Andrew Cave-Brown who was introduced to the first team by Worthy. And Robert Eagle who was introduced to the first team by Worthy. I think I already covered Chris Martin. But I think that list of players rather goes to show that whoever is coach they can''t make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 

[quote user="Wiz"]Get your ''WORTHY OUT'' stickers, mugs and posters here.[Y][/quote]

Are complimentary ''GRANT/ROEDER/GUNN IN''  stickers, mugs and posters included with each Wiz[:^)]

[quote user="Jenkins"]All Worthy was interested in was big lads in the accademy, smaller skillfull lads were overlooked. Shocking![/quote]

I have heard this said before. Which ones in particular did you feel missed out?

I said: "handing debuts to or using various kids"I just want to know which of our managers didn''t take any interest in the youth system. Was it Glenn Roeder who handed the first professional contract to Tom Adeyemi? Bryan Gunn who gave Korey Smith his Norwich debut? or Peter Grant who gave Kris Renton his debut? Or Paul Lambert who gave Jed Steer his first professional contract, his debut, and then stole him for Villa?Just want to know which ''couple'' of managers in between Worthington and Hughton had no interest in the youth system? You claim, you name!

I''ll make it easier for you Juggy. IMO Worthy and Hughton showed more interest than any of those who came between them.[Y]

http://www.pinkun.com/opinion/impressed_with_the_success_of_the_academy_this_year_1_679812Sounds like things were going alright under Lambert to me.

I don''t think jarvo ever started 2 games in a row.

What didn''t help him was the clubs position when he broke through.

We were chasing promotion, fighting relegation in his first few yrs.

I do agree that he wasn''t used enough after ripping up trees for England at youth level and becoming our youngest ever player at the time.

Glad to see him having a decent season under worthy this year.

Glad you can remember cusdp... burst onto the scene, great at England youth level, but hardly played for most of his first four years and then out on loan at 20/21.From being our youngest ever player..... his first four seasons gave him 33 games including a short loan spell at Leyton Orient. Most of them substitute appearances. Not enough football.

Yes he did. And later got slaughtered for buying the likes of Dublin when we had better youngsters[:O] I think people see anything as a stick!

The reason why Jarvis was not loaned more is that Worthy didn''t have a big enough squad to do so. The fact that Jarvis and Crowe were used in that season is surely evidence enough. It''s the flip side of the stupid claims on here that we should let Becchio go and use Morris/Lozza as 4th striker.

nutty nigel--- Are complimentary ''GRANT/ROEDER/GUNN IN''  stickers, mugs and posters included with each Wiz

More sh!t managerial appointments from Delia and co. Actually I think the Roeder one was rather astute given his record of saving teams from the drop. Just they should have sacked him in the Summer given his record of sending teams down the following season!

Easier said than done when a manager has just kept you up!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Yes he did. And later got slaughtered for buying the likes of Dublin when we had better youngsters[:O] I think people see anything as a stick!

The reason why Jarvis was not loaned more is that Worthy didn''t have a big enough squad to do so. The fact that Jarvis and Crowe were used in that season is surely evidence enough. It''s the flip side of the stupid claims on here that we should let Becchio go and use Morris/Lozza as 4th striker.

[/quote]

I sort of agree Nige.

Jarvo did alright in the Premier League and after "that" goal against Liverpool wasn''t used a great deal. He should''ve been given a chance to kick on. That goal was nearly two years after his debut.

The following season was in the champ. There is no doubt in my mind that he should have feature more in that season or gone out on loan, but players like Peter Thorne and Jonatan Johansson were brought in and he slipped further down the pecking order.

I am by no means saying he was the greatest player we ever produced or was he the answer but he was continually overlooked despite the hype he entered the fray with.

I think he might have gone on loan earlier that season if we''d had more cover. Thorne''s injury forced Worthy''s hand on this one. It''s unfortunate but we just didn''t have big enough squads until recently.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Jenkins"]All Worthy was interested in was big lads in the accademy, smaller skillfull lads were overlooked. Shocking![/quote]

I have heard this said before. Which ones in particular did you feel missed out?

[/quote]

I was scouting for NCFC at the time , and we were directed to look for big players that could run. Anyone else involved at the time will remember the sprint tests? Often the deciding factor. I watched dozens of summer tournaments looking for a 6 ft 8 year old that could run 100 mters in 11 seconds. My I.D was signed by Worthy! That takes me back .

To be fair this was the player of the day. We all had small nippy players that Colin and the excellent guys at the academy couldn''t take. Tom A was the player we all looked to replicate , big , strong and playing a year above. I''ve got pics of Tom playing against Beard Jnr, he was a big lad with bags of skill.

Who didnt make it? Lot''s but I cant remember who they were!  

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I was scouting for NCFC at the time , and we were directed to look for big players that could run. Anyone else involved at the time will remember the sprint tests? Often the deciding factor. I watched dozens of summer tournaments looking for a 6 ft 8 year old that could run 100 mters in 11 seconds. My I.D was signed by Worthy! That takes me back .

To be fair this was the player of the day. We all had small nippy players that Colin and the excellent guys at the academy couldn''t take. Tom A was the player we all looked to replicate , big , strong and playing a year above. I''ve got pics of Tom playing against Beard Jnr, he was a big lad with bags of skill.

Who didnt make it? Lot''s but I cant remember who they were!  

[/quote]

I understood the post to mean Worthy turned away smaller players who were already at the academy. What age did you scout Beardo? Did the scouts from other clubs have a differentr remit?