Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Rudd Number 1 next season?

With some experience behind him, how likley is Rudd to be our number 1 next season, regardless of the division. Think Ruddy will be off regardless, would we be more likely to see Bunn be promoted, a new keeper brought in, or Rudd promoted should Ruddy leave?

If we get relegated I think Rudd has got a decent shot - especially probably with NA as manager. Someone else might want to bring in their own ''keeper.

If we stay up I''d be surprised to see Ruddy leave.

How many more times Bunn contract expires this summer he might extend if Ruddy goes but may not be #1.

If we go down i reckon Bunn will stay on. After what ive seen of Bunn in the cups and when he stepped in for Ruddy last season i would happily have him as our number 1 in the championship. Think Rudd would be good competition.

Bunn is a good ''keeper and hopefully will have a stint at number one if Ruddy is sold. Rudd at number two will ensure he gets a decent look in in preparation to become our number one the season after next.

If we go down I''d be perfectly happy to see Rudd as number 1. Best situation obviously is we stay up, Ruddy has another season with us, Preston get promoted and Rudd has a season in the championship with them.

Having tasted first team football at Preston, will Rudd want to return as number 3 if Ruddy stays, or number 2 if he goes, assuming that Bunn becomes number 1. It''s possible that Rudd will come back determined to fight for the number 1 jersey. Bunn, more experienced and older will probably be preferred to Rudd, unless he loses form.

The other unknown is what happens if Ruddy does go, and we get a reasonable fee for him. Do we enter the market for a new first goalie? Bunn was Hughton''s signing, and in the view of some, has weaknesses although a good shot stopper.

How likely are we to do a Joe Lewis and sell him for £400-600K? 20 clean sheets in League 1 and England youth caps means he will have some transfer value, but nothing ridiculous. Think we ended up getting around 1m for Steer didnt we in the tribunal

I don''t think Ruddy would necessarily leave if we went down. If we didn''t come straight back he would be gone next summer, but I think he is happy and settled here.

If Ruddy was to leave then Rudd would certainly be my number 1.

I dunno will, I reckon he would want out. I remember when chelsea put a bid for him in, a few months later (or quite recently) there was an interview/press conference talking about the wes hooligan situation with Villa. He said something something like; ''its the same situation i had with Chelsea, but it wasn''t to be and so I knuckle down and play for norwich city.'' Personally, I think he''s very ambitious and wants to play at the highest level we can. If he stays (if we go down) I think it will be just because he won''t be at the end of his contract.