Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Going into the Liverpool game...

Fulham play Tottenham on Saturday and Cardiff play Stoke, also on Saturday. Neil Adams has talked about the psychological advantage of being out of the relegation zone at present.

The worst possible scenario would see both Fulham and Cardiff win, which would see us in the relegation zone and above Cardiff only on goal difference.

Ignoring the obvious fact that we dont want any team below us picking up points and thinking purely about our own mindset - what effect will the fact that our rivals play a day before us have upon our own performance in the Liverpool game?

Will seeing those teams do well increase our motivation or introduce and element of anxiety and pressure? What if results go our well and they both lose - will this be a boost for us?

Football is played in the head, not on the pitch. We know PL''s players had the mental strength, but we just dont know about this current group

[quote user="First Wazzock"]If Fulham and Cardiff both win, I''ll be on Amazon at 5 O'' Clock looking for a length of rope and a wobbly chair![/quote]And if City win too?  You''ll be thinking "why did I waste all that money"? [;)]

We will be going into Sundays game with the same gap between us and the relegated three as there is now. What an oppertunity to make the gap bigger.

It''s indicative of how far we fell under Hughton that we have been looking all the time for other sides to do us favours instead of doing the business for ourselves.

What makes this particularly futile is the sense of rivals having momentum whereas we cannot check our slide.

Adams has an almost impossible task but I honestly believe he doesn''t just want success for himself: he wants the Club to succeed.

Unless he can produce a latter day Easter Resurrection the best I am realistically hoping for is to avoid seeing a demoralised group of players in yellow and green being humiliated over five games. He has so far achieved one out of five and while we are odds on to lose to Liverpool I hope we give them a proper game.

Waterloo anyone?

Well at least we''re still out of the relegation zone, but cardiffs point and sunderlands shock win put all 3 within striking distance. Perhaps before we''d have been happy with a point, maybe now we''ll feel we have to try and win?

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Well at least we''re still out of the relegation zone, but cardiffs point and sunderlands shock win put all 3 within striking distance. Perhaps before we''d have been happy with a point, maybe now we''ll feel we have to try and win?[/quote]Exactly that.A point is no longer good enough.Though I''d probably take a point right now.

We don''t need to win this, if we can grab a point then fantastic. Manure and Arsenal are the games for us, and why not Chelsea after yesterday.

I would certainly take a point as really cannot see us being able to score enough to actually win this. A point would be a major confidence booster and I am convinced we can get soemthing out of Manure and Arsenal.

I''m going from "we are down" to "we have a chance" almost by the hour......I bet many of you are the same? 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jenkins"]Rorke''s Drift![/quote]

Isandlwana more probably...
[/quote]

I''d prefer Ulundi myself .............we won![:D]

I think the first goal is crucial. I would love to know how often we opened the scoring during Hughtons reign, as it felt like we would sit back, not trying to score, waiting for them to attack us and waiting for them to inevitibly score. Then we are either chasing the game against a team who will shore it up, or pick us off on the counter, or we wouldnt know what to do and defeat would be inevitible.

So often under Hughton it felt like the gameplan was to draw 0-0 or at least not concede, and when they inevitibly scored the gameplan was skittled and the psychological blow devastating.

If we can somehow open the scoring we have a chance. Imagine Snodgrass scores a free kick or we get a penalty in the first 10 minutes and then we fight for our lives to protect our lead. Feels like ages since we had a lead to protect rather than hughton protecting a 0-0 or protecting a respectable defeat. For once it would be nice to be the team not chasing the game. Early goal for us vital IMO