Sign in to follow this  
Funkee Homosapien

Malky meeting with the Norwich board today

People go on about the Gunn appointment, well Holt was a Gunn signing and RVW was a Hughton signing, which was the betterfor our club.....that aside, Gunn was a Delia attempt to apease the fans after a desperate season of football and at that point the fans, the clu and the manager were all falling out with each other.

Lambert was a lower league manager gamble who fitted out club, a big club for that league, he was a great motivator and as you can see now, he does not fit Villa.

I don''t see Malky with his experience as a Gunn appointment, I see Malky as a great pro, loved our club and would stick with us for the long term. That said is his style of football going to improve on the sour rubbish served up by Hughton?

Did you not see the football that Cardiff played in the Championship last season? The claims that he spent millions on promotion is also wide of the mark, and easy to use the Cornelius example as why he shouldn''t be appointed. Nobody seems to have mentioned the £500k purchase of Frazier Campbell, who scored 7 in 12 in their run in last season..... and has more goals than Gary Hooper this season.

Juggy: The claims that he spent millions on promotion is also wide of the mark, and easy to use the Cornelius example as why he shouldn''t be appointed.

Mackay spent a lot on promotion, around £35 million. The Cornelius one is a bit of a red herring really, a 21 year old who got injured pre-season, came back and played a few sub appearances before aggravating his injury. Tan then sold him back to FC Copenhagen to prove a point.

I have no idea if he is, or will ever be good enough, I doubt Cardiff know either.

"Mackay spent a lot on promotion, around £35 million"How on earth did Malky spend £35m on promotion? Think you have got your wires crossed mate, he spent £35m after promotion. Which shouldn''t be an issue should it? They were 12th when he was sacked. He didn''t spend much at all on getting out of the Championship. Malky rebuilt the Cardiff squad with these transfers and got them promoted:Lewis               FreeKiss                £500kMutch             £2m Velikonja        £1.6mBo-Kyung       £2mHelguson        FreeBellamy          FreeConnolly         £500kSmith              £300kNoone             £1mMaynard        £2.5mCampbell        £500kLappin            FreeAbout £9m, but he''d got rid of Darcy Blake, Anthony Gerrard, Kenny Miller, Tom Heaton, Lee Naylor, Jon Parkin, and Robert Earnshaw in the summer.Rebuilt the squad and took them up, and then he spent big money. Noticeable how Mutch, Noone and Campbell have been playing regularly this season, only cost £3m in total.

[quote user="Juggy"]"Mackay spent a lot on promotion, around £35 million"How on earth did Malky spend £35m on promotion? Think you have got your wires crossed mate, he spent £35m after promotion. Which shouldn''t be an issue should it? They were 12th when he was sacked. He didn''t spend much at all on getting out of the Championship. Malky rebuilt the Cardiff squad with these transfers and got them promoted:Lewis               FreeKiss                £500kMutch             £2m Velikonja        £1.6mBo-Kyung       £2mHelguson        FreeBellamy          FreeConnolly         £500kSmith              £300kNoone             £1mMaynard        £2.5mCampbell        £500kLappin            FreeAbout £9m, but he''d got rid of Darcy Blake, Anthony Gerrard, Kenny Miller, Tom Heaton, Lee Naylor, Jon Parkin, and Robert Earnshaw in the summer.Rebuilt the squad and took them up, and then he spent big money. Noticeable how Mutch, Noone and Campbell have been playing regularly this season, only cost £3m in total.

[/quote]
Mackay didn''t even want him. Tan insisted they buy him. So, if we pnly included the players who Mackay actually wanted, it adds up to around £8.6 million or just over what we spent on RVW.

This is a difficult one for me. I don''t think Malky is a bad manager but I think we can do better and I hate this parochial air that always seems to hang around this message board.

My biggest problem is that by appointing him it reeks of Delia emerging as recruitment sergeant again. This is not a record that fills me with joy!! - Little ole Norwich raising it''s ugly head I can well do without.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]If this was true, which it isn''t, they wouldn''t be so stupid as to meet anywhere near Norfolk, let alone in Norfolk. Especially after our CE basically said it was Neil''s job if he did well enough.

For the record, I think Dave Mac has really lost his way.[/quote]

Don''t you think he has to say that? You don''t put a manager in place for the most vital 5 games of the season and say "well you know, even if you keep us up you probably won''t keep us up". McNally did the professional thing, and did the PR right. Contracts are what matters, and Adams will only have a contract till the end of the season at the moment.

I think the point was Malky spent £35m after promotion to the prem,  excluding wages.

How many championship clubs do you know spent £9m-£10m in transfer fees?   You have just proved the buying promotion point?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]This is a difficult one for me. I don''t think Malky is a bad manager but I think we can do better and I hate this parochial air that always seems to hang around this message board. My biggest problem is that by appointing him it reeks of Delia emerging as recruitment sergeant again. This is not a record that fills me with joy!! - Little ole Norwich raising it''s ugly head I can well do without.[/quote]

So who is there in the market place that would be happy to take over if we are relegated? I doubt there are many managers with a better record who would come here, I know it ight look as a Delia type manager but I believe Malky has earned the right to be respected as a fair candidate for this club if we go down.

I''m not getting who else we should get in? Curbishley, Jewell or such like? they all have premiership experience and getting teams out of this division.....that''s the thing, it''s not just about the manager, it''s about the style and fit to our club!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]This is a difficult one for me. I don''t think Malky is a bad manager but I think we can do better and I hate this parochial air that always seems to hang around this message board.

My biggest problem is that by appointing him it reeks of Delia emerging as recruitment sergeant again. This is not a record that fills me with joy!! - Little ole Norwich raising it''s ugly head I can well do without.[/quote]I don''t follow this at all. If we have had a manager who ended up exemplifying a "little old Norwich" syndrome  it was Hughton, who had no previous connection with the club. And Smith and Jones got rid of him. You can argue about the timing, but they did act.I am agnostic on Mackay, but he doesn''t at all give the impression he would be anything like little old Norwich in the way Hughton was. Mackay has always struck me as a far tougher and less pliant character.And the question is, who else who would be better and available? If Rosler was available he would be my choice. But I doubt he will be. Possibly Poyet if he left Sunderland. Howe seems only to do well at Bournmouth. Lennon needs to prove hmself in a serious league. And if getting away from little old Norwich means an overseas appointment, someone who hasn''t managed before in English football, then there is an obvious risk in that.

Surely the Board would wait until they know for sure which league we''ll be in next year before deciding on a managerial appointment? A Premiership club must be a totally different proposition for a prospective manager to a Championship club? With all due respect to Malky I would have thought we would be raising our sights a bit if we''re still in the Premiership next year whereas I accept he may well be as good a proposition as any if we''re in the Championship.

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]Surely the Board would wait until they know for sure which league we''ll be in next year before deciding on a managerial appointment? A Premiership club must be a totally different proposition for a prospective manager to a Championship club? With all due respect to Malky I would have thought we would be raising our sights a bit if we''re still in the Premiership next year whereas I accept he may well be as good a proposition as any if we''re in the Championship.[/quote]Absolutely. I assume this thread has been a theoretical discussion.

loved Malky as a player, as a manager no thanks, need a step up in class after Hughton, Malky sideway step imo be very gutted if true.

[quote user="ricky knight"]loved Malky as a player, as a manager no thanks, need a step up in class after Hughton, Malky sideway step imo be very gutted if true.[/quote]
Who would you like as manager instead? 

Malky just as defensive as hughton. Wasn''t doing a great deal at Cardiff but was made to look better than he is because of the nutjob owner tan. Just because he''s an ex player doesn''t make his management better than other candidates. McNally could have gone for Malky before we got hughton but chose not too.

Personally I think if we stay up it''ll be Neil Lennon and if we get relegated it will be Malky.

He''s more defensive than Hughton, However, would be a candidate if we went down, very good in the championship with watford and Cardiff. Wouldn''t want him for more than one year in the PL though tbh

I still can''t really think of any manager I''d really want right now.

In reply to the general response to my contribution is that I fear for whatever reason McNally has not enjoyed the power he had in previous seasons. I simply cannot believe he would have waited so long to get rid of Hughton.

I generally agree with Mrs M''s sentiments although decent candidates may emerge in the close season.

I know it''s not exactly popular but Neil Lennon would be a leading candidate for me.

Not having a go at anyone who thinks Lennon would be good here, but why do you or anybody think that? He hasn''t been anywhere other than celtic.

It''s just an opinion or even a feeling he might be the right man at the right time. I''ve heard good and bad reports about Lennon but then I''ve heard fantastic reports about Hughton on this board and they turned out to be a load of golf balls

We should have gone for Rossler when he has at Brentford.

Never mind let''s go for an ex player. I''m waiting for Sutch to be mentioned after all he was Norwich through and through so I''m reliably informed!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

How many championship clubs do you know spent £9m-£10m in transfer fees?   You have just proved the buying promotion point?

[/quote]Didn''t Ipswich a few years back...  And what about Leicester, and Burnley over the last few years.  There are plenty of Championship sides who have spent that amount and failed to achieve promotion.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Not having a go at anyone who thinks Lennon would be good here, but why do you or anybody think that? He hasn''t been anywhere other than celtic.[/quote]With the current state of Scottish football, being manager of Celtic is probably the easiest manager''s job in any National League.

[quote user="Hughtonanny"]Seeing as Lambo has fallen out with his boys, Malky + cully and karsa would be a good bet for promotion in my view.[/quote]
I have a suspicion that if Mackay is appointed, we may see Neil Adams appointed as either his assistant or as his first team coach.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Hughtonanny"]Seeing as Lambo has fallen out with his boys, Malky + cully and karsa would be a good bet for promotion in my view.[/quote]
I have a suspicion that if Mackay is appointed, we may see Neil Adams appointed as either his assistant or as his first team coach.
[/quote]
I would also not be shocked by Neil as Assistant if we appointed MacKay. I believe their careers with us overlapped by a year or two so they would be familiar with each other (albeit 15 or so years ago, no idea if they''ve kept in touch). 
I am fairly confident we will see Adams as our manager within the next few years, be it this time, or working as an assistant with one eye on the next time the spot becomes vacant.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Hughtonanny"]Seeing as Lambo has fallen out with his boys, Malky + cully and karsa would be a good bet for promotion in my view.[/quote]
[/quote]Managers often have their favourite coaches. Lambert has (or had!) Culverhouse and Karsa, who went where he went. Ditto Mark Bowen with Mark Hughes. Mackay seems to have had David Kerslake and Joe McBride with him at Watford and Cardiff.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Hughtonanny"]Seeing as Lambo has fallen out with his boys, Malky + cully and karsa would be a good bet for promotion in my view.[/quote]
[/quote]Managers often have their favourite coaches. Lambert has (or had!) Culverhouse and Karsa, who went where he went. Ditto Mark Bowen with Mark Hughes. Mackay seems to have had David Kerslake and Joe McBride with him at Watford and Cardiff.[/quote]
Of course you wouldn''t make him appoint Adams. If Mackay was dead against it or really wanted his own people, then you have to let him have his way. But I could see it being suggested that Adams form part of his coaching staff if Mackay takes the job.

Difficult one this. If we go down, there are a few candidates that would give us a good chance of coming back up, but if we stay up, there doesn''t seem a stand out contender (not sure about Lennon at all), so would abroad be the best option?

The best progressive manager for me in English football ( not counting the ''big'' boys obviously) is Rosler, who has taken what looked like a Wigan team that would bury itself in the bottom half of the Championship, into a playoff contender, and obviously playing well in the cup also.

Agree with, I think it was Purple, about Howe and his success at Bournemouth. Seems a good manager but would be nervous of how he could handle (and improve our) the Prem experience.