Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Liverpool

With the news that Neil Adams had identified a weakness in the Liverpool line up it was a stroll up to CR filled with much anticipation. To be totally honest though my own expectations were for the usual five goal blitz and Suarez hat trick but as Nutty Nigel often says, I''ve always been a glass half empty man.What we needed was a quiet opening and some resolute defending to quell Liverpool''s renowned early fire. Unfortunately this part of the plan fell apart after barely four minutes when Sterling unleashed a superb strike from all of 25 yards that left John Ruddy grasping fresh air. There was little from City in return and Ruddy was called into action again to block another quick Liverpool raid. We seemed to be wide open down the left and on 12 minutes more pain was inflicted when Sterling''s low cross picked out Suarez and the little man easily guided a low strike beyond the City custodian.At this stage I was contemplating the record home defeat stats and wondering when Neil Adams was going to tell the players about this supposed Liverpool weakness. City however, did eventually establish a measure of control thanks to some robust tackling from Johnson and gradually began to move forwards and win a couple of corners. In one scramble in the Liverpool area only a couple of desperate blocks prevented Hooper getting a strike on goal.It got a bit niggly when Snoddy was carded for hacking down Allen but this was more in frustration at not winning a free kick when being fouled by the same player. The ref was having a decent game but throughout I thought he was much readier to card City players than Liverpool ones for what seemed very similar offences. The remainder of the half was more even but Mignolet was only once brought into action to palm away a good effort from Redmond. The half ended with Liverpool comfortably in control.If we thought the game would meander on to it''s preordained conclusion we in for a shock because from the whistle City looked a completely different proposition. Every loose ball was chased down as Liverpool were penned back by constant City pressure. Corners were won both right and left and with Johno and Leroy Fer winning nearly every fifty fifty, crosses were coming into the box with regularity. Hooper almost got the ball to the unmarked Johny Howson as City opened up the Liverpool defence and Skirtel was called upon to block with head and body on more than one occasion.Then just as Liverpool seemed to have ridden the City storm, Johnson out muscled Mignolet for a hanging cross and the ball fell kindly for Hooper to net from close range. The crowd were really in the game and the stands were rocking to what had now become a really thrilling end to end affair. A Liverpool break was the only worry but when Suarez fluffed his lines from 12 yards I began to think that the Gods were smiling on us. Sadly it was not to be because the otherwise superb Johnson tried a square pass to Ollson and from my seat in the River End I could see that Sterling had anticipated the move and was just quick enough to intercept and race away into the City area. I don''t know if Turner or Johno got a block in but the ball seemed to loop up and over John Ruddy and into the City net. Lucky or brilliant, take your pick.It was certainly deflating but it didn''t seem to break our spirit and Mignolet had to dive smartly to his left to keep out a low drive from Snoddy. With 12 minutes left it was the same player who got City back in the game when he just got enough on Ollson''s cross to deflect the ball into the far corner. Game on once more and it was Liverpool who were now looking nervous. Gerrard was everywhere but the momentum was still with City and Adams played his final card with Ricky and young Murphy coming on for Hooper and Fer. It almost paid off as Ricky''s downward header almost crept under the sprawling Mignolet. Liverpool were now slowing it down at every opportunity but should have gone two clear when a rare break caught the City defence out. With the clock running down Ruddy forsook his goal as City won a free kick 30 yards out but it was all to no avail as the last grains of sand fell through the eggtimer.At the whistle the City players sunk to their knees but cries of "Yellows, Yellows" from the stands must have shown them that their efforts had not gone unappreciated and although things are beginning to look black nobody is going to give up hope, especially after the full blooded performance that we had the privilege of witnessing today.For my part I nominate Johno as my MOM, in spite of that misplaced pass for the third goal, his performance of grit and courage was the sort of example that will be needed in the final three games. Despite the disappointment of the result this was a display that will live long in my memory.

Always an enjoyable read, Ricardo.

Out of interest - do you make notes about the game as it passes by? I find I''ve forgotten much of what occurred by the time 90mins is up. Particularly when Hughton was in charge - mainly as I slept through large periods of time.

For the record Ricardo, Johnno did get a block on the shot for the third. Didn''t look as if it was going to trouble Ruddy if it hadn''t deflected but it got a wild one into the ground and looped frustratingly out of Ruddy''s grasp.

[quote user="dean"]Always an enjoyable read, Ricardo.

Out of interest - do you make notes about the game as it passes by? I find I''ve forgotten much of what occurred by the time 90mins is up. Particularly when Hughton was in charge - mainly as I slept through large periods of time.[/quote]No, I don''t make notes but I''ve got a good memory. That''s why I sometimes get the wrong player or even events in the wrong order. However, there is always someone who will come along and correct me.Does anyone know if Sterling''s shot was deflected for that third goal? It looked like a deflection from my end but some were saying it was a delicate chip.

[quote user="kick it off"]For the record Ricardo, Johnno did get a block on the shot for the third. Didn''t look as if it was going to trouble Ruddy if it hadn''t deflected but it got a wild one into the ground and looped frustratingly out of Ruddy''s grasp.[/quote]Thanks KIO, a bit unlucky but that''s how it''s been all season. We can''t seem to get a lucky win.

We had passing options, fluidity and pressed the ball high rather than defending zones and standing off. Under Hughton this didn''t happen and the players hated what they were being asked to do, I''m sure of it.

Adams looked like a proper Norwich manager and deserves huge credit for his half time talk which shows the players trust and believe in him.

My biggest fear of Norwich being humiliated as well as relegated has so far failed to materialise and while we can''t say we have momentum we have improved from a very low ebb within a very limited time available.

The performance also lifted the fans and the atmosphere creating a virtuous cycle.

We should be aiming for a result next week. A draw would be great but we''d only get that going for the win which I''m sure NA will do.

As usual a great report Ricardo and many thanks for taking the trouble.  Yes, it was a great/very good stirring performance and I fully agree with your MoM closely followed by Snodgrass. All I would say is that we unfortunately played to Liverpool''s strengths in that first quarter of the match and they as usual this season when given so much space hit a couple of early goals, that aside and being surprised there was no CB on the bench, I was encouraged and really feel we have some points in us regardless of who we play in the next three. 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]that aside and being surprised there was no CB on the bench, I was encouraged and really feel we have some points in us regardless of who we play in the next three. [/quote]

But we did have the tricky winger Ryan Bennett who can play CB if called upon.

Good report and i agree that City players got carded for offences that Liverpool players didn''t.We should have had a clear penalty when once again Skrtel grabbed hold of Turner''s shirt in the penalty area on one corner. No penalty and no card. Sterling also hauled back either Redmond or Olsson ( not sure which) but again no card given.

Thanks Ricardo.Snoddy was my MOM but otherwise agree. It just feels like things are not going o go for us this year. We must be due a couple of scrappy goals/ deflections!

[quote user="Sidefoot finish"]deflection, summed up the simple differences of luck between teams at the top and bottom as he has over ran it[/quote]Some people say you make your own luck. But then some people talk a lot of shite.

And agree. First half when everyone else had lost their heads at 2-0 down Johnson was the driving force of the team, fighting and pushing us forward with the same spirit (if not quality) that Gerrard shows for Liverpool. Was the catalyst for the goal that got us back in the game as well. Like Snodgrass you can doubt his quality but his work rate is absolutely immense.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="Sidefoot finish"]deflection, summed up the simple differences of luck between teams at the top and bottom as he has over ran it[/quote]Some people say you make your own luck. But then some people talk a lot of shite.[/quote]The definition of luck;-Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one’s own actions:Therefore it''s something you can''t make.