Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Andre Marriner

I was not delighted when I saw he was in charge for this match. He always seems to nonchalantly lope around the pitch being totally uninterested in what is actually going on, and today was no exception!

He, (although several others are equally as guilty) seems to have no concept of time wasting, or how to deal with it. Each throw in took an eternity and how Mignolet was not booked I will never know. Several throw ins were taken miles away from where they should have been, he finally flexed his muscles regarding this on us in front of the away fans - I would imagine just to let them know they were OK. And then moved one of their throw ins.

Some of the fouls he gave were pretty cheap and although most of the yellow cards were correct I think Howson''s was a poor decision.

He missed Skrtel trying to have Turners shirt, from a corner and not waiting until the end of the match, which really is unforgivable.

oh, and finally, when you first learn to Ref you are told if you give a free kick near the penalty area and move the wall back, don''t turn your back on them when you take up your position to oversee the taking of the kick. Guess what happens if you don''t keep an eye on the defenders - answers on a postcard to Mr Marriner.

Andre Marriner - another one who wont/cant treat both teams equally 4

There seemed to be 2 clear corners that we''re given as goal kicks in the second half. Once again a linesman refused to give a decision and waited for the referee to tell him what way to point his flag

But it was the blatant bias over fouls that really wound me up. Obviously yellow cards were not given to Liverpool players. Just before Snodgrass yellow card there seemed to be an awful tackle on 1 of our players where Marriner refused to give a decision. Then Liverpool players started to throw themselves to the floor. Each time the ref could not wait to blow his whistle. And as for Sakhos non foul on Snodgrass, the whole world can see he goes through the back of Snodgrass and gets nowhere near the ball. Once again the linesman refused to give a decision and the ref was completely uninterested.

Add into this yet another referee who thinks pointing to his watch repeatedly is sufficient in dealing with timewasting. It''s embarrassing.

One last thing, walking off the referee seemed to pat Brendan Rodgers on the back - hardly appropriate in the the immediate aftermath of such a poor performance. Certainly adds to favouring big teams argument

Another thing I forgot to mention - and this has been mentioned on the ''Penalty that wasn''t'' thread. The final whistle was well short of the 4 minutes shown, but I felt four minutes was short of what it should have been anyway.