Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Jonson!

I have a sneaking suspicion that Jonson will score an important goal in the last 4 matches - lots of endeavour but you would have expected  a goal or two before now - I reckon he may just be one of the players who can handle a big match or two - just when needed. Maybe today? Intuition or madness?

steady on...

I''ve had the same thought - i.e. that either Helveg or Jonson will get the winning goal in the last game against Fulham. Helveg is already proving his worth, despite my early season''s reservations.
It would be amazing if we can stay up and all the players get an opportunity to contribute.
As regards the season, I''d say that we can now go on and put pressure on Portsmouth and Fulham now, aiming higher than just chasing Crystal Palace - and just look at our goal difference, its disappearing at a rate of knots. We just need to guard against complacency.

Sorry to say this, but he seems to me to be totally lacking either confidence or ability - hard to say which. In any case, almost nothing he tried seemed to work, and he didn''t try much. He wasn''t helped by playing on the left when he hasn''t got much of a left foot. I just wish he would score a stormiing goal, to get the monkey off his back.

I agree with you Old Boy - just feel he''s due a break - after all he''s on the edge of the Sweden team - he arrived with such promise and seemed to lack no confidence but he''s either hit the ball at the keeper or just wide when in good positions (Rivers used to frustrate me like this). I agree about the monkey - I''ve just an inkling he could figure - today it was the wrong Swede!

steady on...

[quote]Sorry to say this, but he seems to me to be totally lacking either confidence or ability - hard to say which. In any case, almost nothing he tried seemed to work, and he didn''t try much. He wasn''t hel...[/quote]

I think you hit the nail on the head Old Boy; to me Jonson is lacking confidence going forward and that is the fault of us the players and the manager.

The first couple of games Jonson struck me as a Gronkjaer; very fast and prepared to take people on; he certainly did so against palace and look a solid exciting purchase.  Criticism by fans and managers over abandoning defence, quality of final ball and pace of the game has taken its toll.

Since then Jonson appears to have done what the manager wants; he defends superbly, passes well, loses the ball rarely & does very well in the air.  However he is so concious of his defencive role he seems concerned about getting stuck too far forward.  Ian Henderson has the same problems, I remember one night when hendo burst forward but stopped when he got to the half way line despite having another 20 yards free in front of him and you could see him thinking what happens if I lose he ball rather than continuing the run?!?!!  No coincidence I am sure and the fault lays at the managers door.

His strike rate suggests he is a threat, if only he was given a free rein.  

Unfortunately I have lost too many time by betting Jonson will score.... (66 yesterday with a 1-0 city win went begging - wrong matty!)

OTBC