Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Do our main players owe us one more season ?

I think players have every right to say they want to go if another PL team comes in for them. -whether we say yes to them is a different matter. With this team, we should gain instant promotion. If you look at the likes of wigan who''s half the team was made up of loan players; they''re now in the playoffs. And QPR with one of the most ego''s at the club despite being terrible were second for a long time, now third or fourth. If we kept the squad that we have surely we would go up if we got the right manager.

If it happens I''d like to think so.

Worked for us after we went down in 1985 when the likes of Woods, Watson, Bruce, Barham and Deehan could probably have moved on. They all chose to stay with us and we blitzed the old Division 2 in 1986.

We only need players who want to be here. I think we need a clear out tbh, anybody who wants out can go, anybody who wants to stay can stay.People like Russell Martin and Bradley Johnson may have limitations at this level but players who want to give everything to the cause and make amends are the people who need to stay, and anybody who feels that the league below is beneath them needs to f*ck off.Using that as the criteria it wouldn''t surprise me if we lost quite a few good players, but you don''t get out of the league below unless everybody is singing from the same hymn sheet.Never thought I''d say it but is time to cut our losses on Pilkington and Hoolahan, if they don''t want to be here then get rid and replace with hungry younger models. Pilkington cost us £1.5m from Huddersfield in League One, Hoolahan a bargain from Blackpool in Championship. Time to rebuild.None of us have any idea who has the stomach and who doesn''t, apart from a few obvious ones. I''d start by offering Bunn and Turner a new contract and seeing if they want to stay.

I''m with Juggy on this one. I personally wouldn''t want anyone here who doesn''t want to be.

I think those who will go are :

Ruddy

Hoolahan

Snodgrass

Bassong

Redmond

Johnson (maybe)

Howson

Hooper

RvW

Martin

That actually leaves us with bare bones, but we can rebuild.

I might be wrong and have assumed more will go who actually might stay.

Surely thats the last thing we need imo Juggy. Surely we would just replace our players with less quality just like when we went down last time. We''d be getting a bit from parachute payments, so imo get the people who are not going to help us out e.g Wes and possibly Bassong (although I actually think he would be a beast in the championship) and spend the money on an attacking midfielder an another striker, someone physical and a leader (a target man). We have Hooper who was great in this league and we have Becchio who was also very good but we probably would need ''that'' signing to put a stamp on the league.

I think you have assumed Bird, (at least I hope so). I doubt the club would be that stupid to let all those players go, especially Redmond, Hooper, Martin and Hooper. If we''re going to need anybody, it''ll be them

It is probably unrealistic for us to keep hold of everybody mrs miggins. People keep mentioning parachute payments but we are looking at a reduction in turnover of 50% including parachute payments, and our wage bill is likely more than 50% of our current turnover. Keeping our squad together means getting into debt. I hope we can keep a competitive squad and get a manager who can spend money wisely so that if we can get rid of Pilkington for £4m we can find somebody of similar quality for £1.5m (which is about what we paid for him, and about what we paid for Elliott Bennett too!).But if you are saying that borrowing money and getting into debt to keep this squad together in the hope that we can get them to gel again and come straight back up is what we need, then I will have to respectfully disagree. There will be players leaving this club, and it is my preference for those who remain to be those who want to be here and who have the bottle to fight and the balls to get lumps kicked out of them.

[quote user="Yellow Bird"]I''m with Juggy on this one. I personally wouldn''t want anyone here who doesn''t want to be.

I think those who will go are :

Ruddy

Hoolahan

Snodgrass

Bassong

Redmond

Johnson (maybe)

Howson

Hooper

RvW

Martin

That actually leaves us with bare bones, but we can rebuild.

I might be wrong and have assumed more will go who actually might stay.[/quote]

no chance. fer, hoolahan,rvw and pilks will go. maybe snodrass but think the rest will stay

yeah I totally agree Juggy. But I just think we need to keep the players that we can and anyone that we can''t, try and get as much as possible for.

Ruddy for example is too good for the championship (however he seems like a nice guy so might want to stay) yet if we get a good bid in for him then a solid keeper is quite easy to find for not a lot of dosh. What will happen to Ricky if we do go down will be very interesting to see; do we cut our losses, or do we continue with him under a new manager and hope he rediscovers his talent (which he has got if any of you have watched a few of his games for sporting). If he does find his form, him and hooper (who will score for fun) are going to be quite a partnership which will be good going back up.

I actually reckon Fer will stay, he''s still quite young, didn''t come from a big big club, on a long contract. I hope people will be surprised with the amount of players who stay, but lets face it, none of us know.

When Newcastle went down they got rid of quite a few players who didn''t have the stomach or where past their best.Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, Sebastien Bassong, Damien Duff, Geremi, Habib Beye, Cacapa, all gone.Gaps in squad filled with low cost players like Routledge (£1m), Best (£1m), and Simpson (£750k).But they kept a competitive squad full of good talented players and some leaders, and they got themselves out of the league as champions.We will need to do something similar.I didn''t realise that this will be Bassong''s THIRD relegation from the Premier League. He can be the first out of the door. At the end of this season when we have a post mortem, we will lay a large part of the blame on Hughton, and on the board for failing to take action. But we also have to acknowledge the shortcomings in our squad. A complete lack of leadership on the pitch. Therefore we need some leaders, West Ham bought a leader off of the shelf when they signed Malky for a year after their relegation. Whatever has gone on behind the scenes, Hoolahan tried to jump ship halfway through the season, unforgiveable and he should be gone. Pilkington hasn''t looked bothered, he can go.Adams doesn''t seem to fancy Becchio either, maybe his head isn''t right. He can go. Turner hasn''t signed or been given a new contract, if he doesn''t want to sign it then he is gone.We could do without Ruddy being linked to Chelsea or Arsenal every month, so we have to ask him to commit or leave. We don''t need the distraction.If he does leave then we need to give Bunn a new contract.  RVW is too much of a gamble now, and wouldn''t be able to handle the kicks, get him out. The squad needs a fair bit of work in my opinion. Yobo, Elmander and Guiterrez we can say goodbye to.It is unrealistic for us to have both Garrido and Olsson at the club, because it is likely they are both on serious money. One of them can go.The same may or may not be true with Russell Martin and Steven Whittaker, although I''d like both to stay.There will be some surgery required and some chopping and changing, which actually is the thing which scares me about Neil Adams, because he may be a good progressive coach and a good motivator, but he doesn''t have any experience of managing a transfer budget or the business end of football.That''s why I think Lennon or Mackay would probably be a better option for us, both have shown that they can build teams on a budget and get good value for money in the transfer market (Malky at Watford in particular).

Adams though will have a big role to play if we do appoint somebody else.He is the man with an understanding of what has gone on, and the dynamic in the dressing room. Probably already has a good idea which players want out and which are willing to stay.Any new manager would be stupid not to work with Adams helping him. I''m actually really excited about Gary Hooper in the league below, we need to keep him, guaranteed 20+ goals and if we did get back up I think he''d do much better in this league second time around. If we could keep Snodgrass and Hooper we know we''d have a chance.

Mrs miggins

It was an assumption.,i can see lower Prem clubs coming in for all of them that I mentioned, though.,

Contracts, as we know, mean nothing, and I can''t see players hanging around for championship wages. Just my opinion, of course.

Yeah I wasn''t having a go YellowB, I just think we have a CEO who, as we have previously seen does not let go on what we have here that easily. (and that applies to everything it seems)

" Contracts, as we know, mean nothing, and I can''t see players hanging around for championship wages"

Well we will see. About time that contracts mean just that ... and I think McNally is the kind of CEO not to just roll over if a transfer request or bid comes in.

I do expect Hoolahan to leave in the Summer, he threw his toys out of the pram in January and we will sell him once we receive an appropriate compensation bid.

McNally would probably give Hoolahan away if it weren''t to Villa just to annoy Lambert.

Any that would be prepared to stay from this season would be a bonus because we have good enough players in our squad as it stands to get us straight back to the Prem in my opinion. My thinking is the following:

Ruddy - Like to think he would stay, but agent will likely nag at him to move to the Prem for England chances if right offer came in.

Bunn - Stay. Could be no.1 if Ruddy goes

Nash - Out of contract, will go

Rudd - Stay unless chance to be no.1 elsewhere comes along

Martin - Would stay. Agent will try for a move.

Whittaker - Would stay if guaranteed starting XI

Garrido - Would stay if guaranteed starting XI

Olsson - Would stay, did with Blackburn. Agent will try for a move though

Bassong - Like to think he would stay if guaranteed starting XI, will probably ask agent to try for a move

Turner - Stay

R.Bennett - Stay

Johnson - Stay

Howson - Would stay, agent will try for a move

Fer - Like to think he would stay, but would probably ask agent to try for a move, on fringes of Holland squad after all

Tettey - Would stay, but agent will try for a move

Fox - Gone regardless

Hoolahan - Stay if guaranteed starting XI, likely to ask agent to try for a move

Snodgrass - Like to think he would stay, but would probably ask agent to try for a move

Redmond - Would stay, but go if right offer comes in

Pilkington - Gone regardless (if reports are to be believed)

E.Bennett - Stay

RVW - Like to think he would stay (not proven worth in higher league for potential punters), although agent will try for a move to get him back in Holland contention

Hooper - Like to think he''d stay, agent will probably try for a move. Think he''d rather be in the Prem if deal could be done (although that goes without saying doesn''t it!)

Becchio - Gone regardless

So out of all that I think the majority would be likely to give us one more season as long as promotion back to the Prem is on the cards. However with some of the players (internationals and a few others), could easily be persuaded to go if ''bigger'' clubs come in.

Last time he played in the Championship, Becchio had scored 19 goals before the turn of the year.

If Norwich were to be relegated, I would place far more importance on retaining him over RVW.

those I going who feature regularly are RVW, possibly Fer (although I''d like to think differently) turner, Hoolahan - doesn''t start regularly but still think he will go. and maybe Ruddy, still very unsure of him, but I think Rudd can do some real work in the championship. I also think we''d sign yobo, but I''m still of the hope that we will see a miracle and we somehow stay up.