Sign in to follow this  
funny old game

Helveg

All season I have defended this guy in many negative posts, over the past four games his performances have spoken for themselves, he sometimes seems casual & on a couple of occasions his short passing has been wayward but generally he has improved the defensive unit, I watched him very closely when we were defending corners in the first half, Jeffers was trying to stand tight to Green but Helveg made sure he didnt get within a meter of him, it was great to watch. I have to say that sitting to the right of the goal in the lower N&P gives me a great view of play as it develops down our right side when attacking the Barclay, today the options for a balls into the channels wasn''t always available which meant that Bentley & Helveg were having to play short square balls into tight midfield areas, It appeared that Ashton & McKenzie just seemed to be showing slight signs of a very demanding week (this is not criticism & is totally understandable)

Hopfully we can have a clear week now so everyone can rest up ready for a titanic battle at St Marys next week, The season seems to be ending a bit like play off year with everyone on a knife edge, great value but wheres the valium kept?

[quote]All season I have defended this guy in many negative posts, over the past four games his performances have spoken for themselves, he sometimes seems casual & on a couple of occasions his short pas...[/quote]

Also our Peter (moderator) always kept faith in Helveg and said right at the start that he would come through for us and know he has done

[quote]Also our Peter (moderator) always kept faith in Helveg and said right at the start that he would come through for us and know he has done[/quote]

yup, hes come to light to show us why we really bought him!

The guy has displayed his true class in every game he has played for city, its just some people (principally management) have just taken longer to get used to true quality.  At last the club has an experienced pro who knows how to play a defensive game, restrict space, options and movement of opponents and wherever possible refuses to simply hoof the ball knowing that he can pick a pass, although his colleagues still struggle to read it. 

I love his cyncism too - his booking was pure serie A; knew he was beaten and defence exposed so took the man without malice - pure professionalism and all the while remaining so laid back.  To be fair he did get intercepted a couple of times but those are the only errors compared to those of the previous holder of his position.

What has surprised me in the last couple of games is the number of times he has burst forward on the overlap - a welcome addition given the quality of his delivery.

OTBC