Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Chris Martin

[quote user="Wiz"]

Some of you need a history lesson here, the only reason super Chrissy got dropped from our PL side was because of Ruddy getting sent of Chelsea and then his injury.

Lambert once said he was the best hitter of a ball at our club.........massive own goal to let him go imo.[:@]

[/quote]

Sorry Wiz but that''s your interpretation, not "the history".  Lambert used to change the squad around more than any manager I can remember so any player who didn''t play one week had plenty of chance to get back in.  If he''d rated CM, Lambert would have used him in the squad, not loaned him out to the Champ. 

Fact is CM started the Prem season as first choice starter up front... then lost his place.  Anything else is just wishful thinking.

[quote user="Six Pack"]Martin has a place in the prem - playing off the main striker. I have always believed he''d be the natural backup for Hoolahan at the club.

If he was the main striker, he''d most likely end up struggling like the goal poacher''s we brought in to replace Holt. I think Martin''s superior footballing skills means he''s more than capable of playing in midfield - unlike RVW, Hooper & Elmander.[/quote]

I 100% agree!

As has been said, Chris Martin had his chance with five starts in the premiership (I was at four of those, if you are watching Lappinitup) and most of them were in a 442 where he stood around the halfway line waiting for something to happen.   He was young and maybe - if he is a player who can learn from his experience - he will have learned from that if he gets another chance.  

[quote user="swindoncanary"]He''s improved massively now he has a good manager -  Steve McClaren [/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90

[quote user="Wiz"]

Some of you need a history lesson here, the only reason super Chrissy got dropped from our PL side was because of Ruddy getting sent of Chelsea and then his injury.

Lambert once said he was the best hitter of a ball at our club.........massive own goal to let him go imo.[:@]

[/quote]I''m up for one of those history lessons.[quote user="First Wizard"]If we have to rely on the convicted thug Martin................then God help us![:''(][/quote]That''s a good one, I reckon.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="swindoncanary"]He''s improved massively now he has a good manager -  Steve McClaren [/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90
[/quote]Maybe McLaren could get Ricky Van playing well, with his motivational abilities combined with fluent Dutch.

[quote user="lake district canary"]As has been said, Chris Martin had his chance with five starts in the premiership (I was at four of those, if you are watching Lappinitup) and most of them were in a 442 where he stood around the halfway line waiting for something to happen.   He was young and maybe - if he is a player who can learn from his experience - he will have learned from that if he gets another chance.  

[/quote]

So five games in the PL was enough to tell you Martin wasn''t good enough (even though he played well in two of those, pretty sure he only started four anyway and the fifth was a short sub appearance, and in at least one of those other two the whole team was awful) but you kept defending a manager who took the team backwards for 60+ games?

You have some very odd standards. If Hughton deserved more time, why on earth can you write off a 23/24 year old after his first 5 premiership appearances? Quick answer, you can''t...

[quote user="lake district canary"]As has been said, Chris Martin had his chance with five starts in the premiership (I was at four of those, if you are watching Lappinitup) and most of them were in a 442 where he stood around the halfway line waiting for something to happen.   He was young and maybe - if he is a player who can learn from his experience - he will have learned from that if he gets another chance.  

[/quote]

So Long Distance Canary ...you expect us all to believe that you attended 80% of the games Chris Martin played in the EPL .... why don''t you just admit that all you ever do is watch the radio ....? You obviously never see the actual game played .

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]I (for once) 100% agree with you Wiz. I said at the time in 2012 when we were considering letting him go that he needed to be given more game time. His injury in the 2010/11 season cost him his place at the club.Tbh what strikers have we had since he left that are technically better than him? I''d still have him over Elmander, Kei, Kane, Morison or van flopwinkel.

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"][quote user="lake district canary"]As has been said, Chris Martin had his chance with five starts in the premiership (I was at four of those, if you are watching Lappinitup) and most of them were in a 442 where he stood around the halfway line waiting for something to happen.   He was young and maybe - if he is a player who can learn from his experience - he will have learned from that if he gets another chance.  

[/quote]

So Long Distance Canary ...you expect us all to believe that you attended 80% of the games Chris Martin played in the EPL .... why don''t you just admit that all you ever do is watch the radio ....? You obviously never see the actual game played .[/quote]

Is it any surprise I would go to quite a few games in our first season in the premiership for a few years, especially near the beginning of that season?  The bottom line is that I''ll do what I want when I want, go to which matches I want to, when I want to - and you and your parochial small minded pea brained knobs that can''t stand the idea of someone who doesn''t go to every game  putting their opinions across, can go and f*ck yourselves.

And GP, my opinions on Martin were based on more than five games, having watched him in L1 and the Championship, when he was fit enough.  A player with not a lot of pace, less skill than some gave him credit for and an attitude that suggested he wouldn''t cut it at the top level because he never worked hard enough - and so it proved in those games he did play in.  A good striker of a ball, yes, but not a lot else - at the time.   Hopefully he has learned under MacLaren and can make it if he gets another chance at the top level.   But his career at Norwich was going nowhere.

"A good striker of a ball, yes, but not a lot else - at the time"

I''m sorry LDC but I can''t believe you watched Martin play regularly in League 1, Champ and PL with us and came to this conclusion?? That wasn''t what I saw.

Martin does lack pace but he wasn''t just a good striker of the ball in those seasons, thats a ridiculous statement. He showed a lot of other top striker characteristics and one would argue probably why Lambert played him in those first few games as he believed he could make the step up...maybe it was just to soon for him, we will probably find out next year.

I really feel his injury in our Championship season did him big disservice otherwise he may have continued to develop as he has done and still be 3rd or 4th choice or maybe better, striker at this club.

[quote user="Monty13"]"A good striker of a ball, yes, but not a lot else - at the time"

I''m sorry LDC but I can''t believe you watched Martin play regularly in League 1, Champ and PL with us and came to this conclusion?? That wasn''t what I saw.

Martin does lack pace but he wasn''t just a good striker of the ball in those seasons, thats a ridiculous statement. He showed a lot of other top striker characteristics and one would argue probably why Lambert played him in those first few games as he believed he could make the step up...maybe it was just to soon for him, we will probably find out next year.

I really feel his injury in our Championship season did him big disservice otherwise he may have continued to develop as he has done and still be 3rd or 4th choice or maybe better, striker at this club.[/quote]

Yeah, ok, that is a bit clumsy. I really meant that it appeared all he had to offer at the time of  the premiership.  He did very little except have a couple of shots from long range.  As for L1 - he was excellent there - with more time and space - but if his injury didn''t help in the championship and made him not up to speed up in the premiership, then that is life - and it was fairly obvious that he wasn''t going to make the grade at the top level given his performances there.  

Thinking about what GP said,  your comparison with RVW is fair.  People have stuck with him, hoping he will come good, perhaps longer than we should.  The jury is out on him - perhaps it is the case with both of the Martin and RVW that confidence was down in both cases, maybe in Martin''s case as he wasn''t fully confident after his injury - and in RVW''s case after his difficult first few games followed by his injury.  

Martin has proved he has something to offer at Derby - and good for him.  

Some of lake district canary''s responses have been so childish and aggressive I feel embarrassed for you. Cringe worthy stuff.

[quote user="Hello Neil"]Some of lake district canary''s responses have been so childish and aggressive I feel embarrassed for you. Cringe worthy stuff.[/quote]

If I want be embarrassed I can be embarrassed for myself.  You worry about your own responses.

TheRock wrote the following post at 23/04/2014 9:51 PM:

"Tbh what strikers have we had since he left that are technically better than him? I''d still have him over Elmander, Kei, Kane, Morison or van flopwinkel."

One would suggest that if RVW had someone alongside him like CM then his chances of hitting the back of the net would improve quite a bit.

Good to see him doing well as a result of leaving the club. Just goes to show how a change of club and/or league can be the making of a player.

We''ll see how he performs in the Premier League if he gets there. The problem Martin has at this level is that he doesn''t really have a trick. At least, he didn''t when he was at Norwich. Sure he could finish when put clear but he''s not quick, he didn''t hold the ball up and he didn''t really beat a man.

As with Holt, the decision to let him hgo wasn''t wrong but his replacements haven''t been up to it.